Help me Disney with 2 infant twins and toddler

Crazymomof3boysss

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney for Christmas. Yes I know we are crazy but this has been a dream of mine and my husband's for sometime. We are traveling with a 5yo and 2 8 month old twins. Allot of this is going to be me with the babies exploring and my husband off with our 5yo.

Any tips advice, hacks to make life easier etc.

Well, a 5 year old is a grade schooler, past the toddler and preschool stage. Honestly I’d put the dream on hold and go another week when it isn’t packed with walls of people.

We go every year for Christmas and think it is the most wonderful time of the year to be there. You just need to go knowing it will be busy ... wall to wall people normally from the 25th to the 31st. A little less busy before and after that (but still crowded). Make sure you have your FP+ and dining reservations. There are rides you can take the babies on, so think about that as an option. You aren't going to want to be pushing a stroller just randomly wandering the parks during that time of year. Know when and where different shows are that you can go watch. Know where the baby changing stations are. Do you baby wear? With infants when it isn't horribly hot, that is a great option.

Take a sleigh ride at Fort Wilderness to see the lights at night. That's a great family activity.

Set your expectations low. Plan to see your 3 FP attractions and 1 or 2 other things and be satisfied that you got your money’s worth. Bring snacks for the lines.

If it is a dream of yours, go for it but I would not even think of taking 3 kids that young on a disney vacation. If I lived near Disney, I would for sure take them to the park around the holidays as I think that would be cool.

Have you ever been to Disney before? Christmas time is "more than" extremely busy. I'm not sure I would take babies that young, during such a busy time. With that said, you know your family best.

please pack lots of patience. Book your 3 fastpasses for you to enjoy those rides. There are rides with "no height restrictions", meaning that even your little ones can ride.

if you are interested in character meals, book those as early as possib le. At table service restaurants and counter service restaurants you "must" leave your stroller outside.

I have to be completely honest, and I definitely mean no disrespect, but I think with the ages of your children, you should really wait for this vacation during the holidays. Disney has removed most of their outdoor seating (benches), and I just don't know how this would work without you having a lot of stress. This might be a dream of yours, but to travel during this time of year with little ones, just isn't "quite feasible". My advice, hold on to your dream, until your children are a little older. You will be spending lots of money and I'm not sure if will be fully enjoyable for you. (Just my opinion).

I think the key is to manage your expectations. It's going to be bonkers crowded. If I was there during that time frame, I'd be making strategic decisions to "rush" things in the AM which may not be the greatest mentality for a first family trip.
I'd totally register for touring plans and use the planner they have. Set your walking speed to slowest. I just hate for someone to spend that much money without an idea of how little might get done.

Is there any way to go earlier in December so it's still decorated but not a living sea of people?

A few tips:

If you plan to eat at any table service restaurants, book your ADRs NOW if you have not already done so (assuming you are going this Christmas- you can book 180 days in advance and reservations fill up fast). Include the twins in the head count for the reservations. They can eat free at buffets and family-style restaurants (not sure how much table food they will be eating at that point).

For the bigger rides, you can use Rider swap which allows one adult (and the 5 yo if they are tall enough and want to ride) to go in line and ride while the other adult waits outside the line with the little ones. When they are done riding, the adult who waited (and the 5yo if tall enough and wanting to ride) can go in the FP line and ride with little wait. Look into this if it's something you think you might use. It's a great way for you to not have to wait in line twice for the same ride when you have little ones who can't go in the queue.

Make your FP 60 days in advance (if staying on-site), or 30 days (off-site). There's a FP sticky on the Theme Parks board on this site with lots of info about which FP are hard to get.

Definitely bring a double stroller and maybe consider a baby carrier as well, that way if the 5 yo needs a break or you want to keep them contained in the crowds, you can put them in the stroller and carry one of the twins.

I'd recommend bringing either the ready made formula bottles that don't need to be refrigerated or powder that you measure out as needed. It's really tough to keep things cold all day in the parks as well as freezing ice packs at the resorts that only have a mini fridge and there are new restrictions on bringing loose ice into the parks. When we traveled with babies, we liked the partitioned formula containers where we could pre-measure powdered formula into sections and just pour one section into water as needed.

You can get free cups of ice water at QS locations in all of the parks.

If you are using the buses, keep in mind that strollers must be folded before entering the bus, which would be tough with only two adults and having to wrangle two infants, a 5 yo, a stroller, and all of your stuff. I'd consider bringing or renting a car or paying for Uber/Minnie vans.

Good luck.

Regarding rider swap, some people recommend only one parent getting a FP for a ride and then getting a rider swap pass so the other parent can ride with the kid that is tall enough. Then the other parent gets a FP for a different ride and they do the swap again. This is basically a way to get double the FP’s.

During our trip last month, both parents and the kid who wanted to ride were required to have Fp’s for the ride to use the switch. So the only benefit was my daughter got to ride twice. I expect they will enforce the FP/RS policy this way during the busiest week of the year, when EVERYONE is looking for a way to get on as many rides as possible.

I would wait until the babies can walk. It will be really hard for them to sit in a stroller all day. If you go make sure to take them to the open play areas so they can move around (Dumbo, play area by Splash Mountain, Boneyard in AK, a few small play areas in Epcot Future World pavilions).

I don’t want to be mean but please just don’t do it. We got stomach flu from Christmas at WDW and were very very seriously ill—thinking about the amount of VERY ill people there around 8 month old babies makes me panic (e.g we saw people throwing up on moving buses). Give those little immune systems time to develop!

A few tips:

If you plan to eat at any table service restaurants, book your ADRs NOW if you have not already done so (assuming you are going this Christmas- you can book 180 days in advance and reservations fill up fast). Include the twins in the head count for the reservations. They can eat free at buffets and family-style restaurants (not sure how much table food they will be eating at that point).

For the bigger rides, you can use Rider swap which allows one adult (and the 5 yo if they are tall enough and want to ride) to go in line and ride while the other adult waits outside the line with the little ones. When they are done riding, the adult who waited (and the 5yo if tall enough and wanting to ride) can go in the FP line and ride with little wait. Look into this if it's something you think you might use. It's a great way for you to not have to wait in line twice for the same ride when you have little ones who can't go in the queue.

Make your FP 60 days in advance (if staying on-site), or 30 days (off-site). There's a FP sticky on the Theme Parks board on this site with lots of info about which FP are hard to get.

Definitely bring a double stroller and maybe consider a baby carrier as well, that way if the 5 yo needs a break or you want to keep them contained in the crowds, you can put them in the stroller and carry one of the twins.

I'd recommend bringing either the ready made formula bottles that don't need to be refrigerated or powder that you measure out as needed. It's really tough to keep things cold all day in the parks as well as freezing ice packs at the resorts that only have a mini fridge and there are new restrictions on bringing loose ice into the parks. When we traveled with babies, we liked the partitioned formula containers where we could pre-measure powdered formula into sections and just pour one section into water as needed.

You can get free cups of ice water at QS locations in all of the parks.

If you are using the buses, keep in mind that strollers must be folded before entering the bus, which would be tough with only two adults and having to wrangle two infants, a 5 yo, a stroller, and all of your stuff. I'd consider bringing or renting a car or paying for Uber/Minnie vans.

Good luck.
[/QUOTE]

We are driving from PA for our trip and I don't anticipate using transportation unless my husband is with me. I forgot to add my mil is coming with us.
Unfortunately it can't be any other time in December due to my 5yo being in school. This year has been a rough one on him with me in the hospital for 6 weeks due to me having pre term labor, the boys in the NICU for 7.5 weeks and then taking them back abd forth to their appointments that my 4yo hasn't had much "him time" it's mainly all been about the babies this past year that it's been hard adjusting for him . We had already planned on taking a trip last year but I was pregnant and we didn't want to be far if something was to have happened. That was supposed to be his birthday present when he turned 4.
I will be working on booking our dining reservations soon. I know we want to go to a few places. This trip is going to be a complete surprise to our 5yo. He loves surprises and such so this will be something really special to him.

I have a double stroller and I intend on bringng formula in the containers as well as having my pump under the stroller if I'm still pumping.
I had no idea about Rider swap. I'll Definitely be looking into that. My son is autistic and i intend on getting the disability pass. Am I able to use it with that

I think the key is to manage your expectations. It's going to be bonkers crowded. If I was there during that time frame, I'd be making strategic decisions to "rush" things in the AM which may not be the greatest mentality for a first family trip.
I'd totally register for touring plans and use the planner they have. Set your walking speed to slowest. I just hate for someone to spend that much money without an idea of how little might get done.

Is there any way to go earlier in December so it's still decorated but not a living sea of people?

I know we won't get to do everything. And I have low expectations on what will be actually done. I know we will probably see a few parades, see characters and eat good food. Ride some rides and such. The atmosphere of how Disney does Christmas is magical and I want my son to experience thar before he gets too smart to figure everything out. He already knows characters are people in costumes

Personally I would not go the week of Christmas, Disney does Christmas the whole month of December. I’d go earlier in the month.

I can understand wanting to take kids before you have to pay for them, but, while saving money may sound great it could be a false economy. You won't be able to ride together as a family, or even as adults as one will always have to be with the kids. You will get to do a lot less with all the time spent changing diapers (and please don't do what has been happening a lot recently, changing diapers wherever you are, you wouldn't do it in the middle of Wal Mart, so don't do it in the middle of MK) regularly potty stops for the older child who decided in the middle of a line he/she needs to go even though you checked with them at the start as to whether they need to go. Pushing large strollers around crowded parks and the kids getting tired and fractious. And, for me, worst of all, your child having no memories of their own, not even when they are shown photos.
I would wait a couple of years and use that time to save up and plan. I took my daughter for the first time for her 7th birthday, a perfect age, she still believed in the characters, had a ton of energy and didn't need a stroller and even 22 years later has memories of that trip. There were a couple of rides she couldn't go on or refused to go on (HM) but, I expected that. However, it is your decision, just make sure you plan, get to the park first thing on Christmas morning and be prepared to leave when it gets super busy and impossible to do any rides. Take the kids to the resorts to see all the decorations, especially GF and hopefully they will have a photographer there to take photos of the kids and the Christmas tree there as well as the Gingerbread House. It's not just the parks decked out for the season, all the resorts have wonderful decorations too.

I know we won't get to do everything. And I have low expectations on what will be actually done. I know we will probably see a few parades, see characters and eat good food. Ride some rides and such. The atmosphere of how Disney does Christmas is magical and I want my son to experience thar before he gets too smart to figure everything out. He already knows characters are people in costumes

I still have nightmares of the Christmas/New Years I spent at Disney.

I would try and capitalize on as many character meals as possible to avoid the long lines. And have a ready escape plan for overstimulation....

You might want a stroller for your 5 year old, so he doesn’t get swept away in the crowds. I wouldn’t hesitate to take a 5 year old out of school, kindergarten isn’t even mandatory. I have 5 kids, including twins, I can’t imagine driving that long with them at those ages. I think I’d take him a different week by myself, and focus on him.

I had no idea about Rider swap. I'll Definitely be looking into that. My son is autistic and i intend on getting the disability pass. Am I able to use it with that

You can use the DAS with rider swap, but only on rides that your son will ride. The DAS can't be used at all on a ride that your son can't or won't ride. So assuming for instance that the adults want to ride Rockin Rollercoaster but your son is too short, you will not be able to use DAS, but you could still get rider swap (and get FP for it if you wish). For a ride that he is tall enough and wants to ride but the twins can't go on, you can use the DAS with him riding with two adults and get rider swap added to the magic bands of the adult waiting with the twins as well as your son and one other adult (rider swap can be added to up to three magic bands).

My son is autistic and i intend on getting the disability pass.
I don't usually advise not going...but as a mom to a child with special needs I have to say this isn't likely to go as you expected. An autistic child, 2 younger (infant) siblings, on a first trip, in the crazy-crowds of Christmas -- too many wildcard variables involved. Consider a different, less crowded time. Christmas to New Years' is the absolute busiest time of year at WDW. Busy like elbow-to-elbow, nowhere to turn, no ability to get away from the crowds, noises, stimulation.

You can use DAS. Just be aware that if the standby queue is 120 minutes, your return time will be in 110 minutes. You will need to find something else to do for all that time, and you can't get another DAS until you use or cancel the prior. Standby at that time of year can easily be 2+ hours for most attractions.

This trip is going to be a complete surprise to our 5yo.
Not recommended for an autistic child. Has he been to a major amusement park before? How does he handle crowds and noises and overstimulation? Rides themselves can be too much. Many people with children on the spectrum (or other needs) find it best to spend time watching YouTube videos to help prepare the child.

Unfortunately it can't be any other time in December due to my 5yo being in school.
At best he's in kindergarten. It won't hurt his education to pull him for a week. Even a few days around Thanksgiving would be a better time (crowd-wise) than Christmas, and you'd still get the "Disney at Christmas" decorations and feel.

The atmosphere of how Disney does Christmas is magical and I want my son to experience thar before he gets too smart to figure everything out. He already knows characters are people in costumes

Kids love Disney well into elementary school years. It's magical at any age. He's not going to outgrow that for a few years yet. Knowing someone is inside a costume doesn't negatively impact the WDW experience.

I know this is a "dream" trip for you and your husband. But I would seriously consider waiting another year or so. Carve out time with your son 1:1 closer to home this fall and winter. Spend time preparing your son for WDW. Maybe try a slower time of year for a short trip, and then do the Christmas trip after you've found what works and -- more importantly -- what doesn't work for your family. I'd hate for your "dream" to turn into a nightmarish disaster that you regret.

Good luck. If you push forward, please ask lots of questions to get tips.

Another vote for "put off the trip".

I have a son with Asperger's. He's now 22, but he still has issues with crowds/noise/overstimulation. A trip to WDW (or any other, similar venue) during the high season would be sheer torture for him. Heck, he had a tough time sitting in a busy Chick-fil-A for lunch yesterday. I realize that every autistic person is different, but if your son has any stimulation issues at all, this trip is not going to be fun for him.

I think you're well-intentioned, but the whole thing sounds like a hot mess. Similar to the autistic issues, I don't see the babies having a great time. Yeah, I know, it's not about them remembering meeting Woody or whatever, but I don't see how the crowds would go well for them, sitting in a stroller for hours on end. Add in being off their schedules, the 1000-mile drive (each way!), the noise, the germs--yikes!

My suggestion: put off the trip for a couple years. Plan for now--maybe work with your son's teachers to see if there are ways to prepare him. If you can, going in Nov., early Dec., or Jan. would have a nice combination of lower temperatures and fewer crowds. Also, the Christmas decorations would be out for most of this time.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but I'm concerned that you're be putting all this effort into a trip that won't end up meeting your expectations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter