Help me give my husband a crash course in HP :)

atilley01

Mouseketeer
This will be our family's first trip to Universal and HPW. My daughter (7) and I are big Harry Potter fans and super excited to see everything we can. My husband, on the other hand, has never been very interested in HP and has only ever seen the first movie. He's willing to be a good sport though so I'm hoping to give him a crash course in Harry Potter before we leave. He's willing to watch a few movies but I don't think he has the time or patience for the remaining 7. What movies would be most relevent to the things in the park so he can have a clue what's going on? :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think I’d pick the 3rd movie. Hogsmeade, dementors, Honeydukes and the Knight Bus all show up at Universal so having an understanding there is great.

Thanks! Any others? I think he's up for maybe 2 or 3 movies. I can fill him in on any gaps if we skip movies. :)

I think I’d pick the 3rd movie. Hogsmeade, dementors, Honeydukes and the Knight Bus all show up at Universal so having an understanding there is great.

I'd go with Deathly Hallows Part II. The dragon atop Gringott's in Diagon Alley is a reference from this film.

Well, the last two movies are clearly the best ones...:p

I agree with 1 and 8. I would suggest 5 instead of 3. You still see Hogsmeade, and you also see the beginnings of Fred & George’s joke shop; plus some of the music is played at DA. Plotwise, more happens in 5 than 3; seeing it would increase enjoyment of the 8. Perhaps watch at least the Diagon Alley scenes in 2 & 6- it will make visiting DA more fun when you explore the shops.

Hi we did the same thing for my DD's BF before we left. I made sure he watched Deathly Hallows Part 1&2 and I agree with pp about 5. Enjoy it is so exciting!

If you had to limit it I'd do 3 and 4, and preferably 5 and both parts of 7. Hogsmeade is set during Tri-Wizards so 4 helps, Diagon Alley involves the Knight bus and London so 3 helps. The Escape from Gringotts is related to events in 7 and to understand Grimmauld place and some things more generally 5.

That being said, my dad has only seen 4 and still was able to generally enjoy it even if not super into it.

The audio books read by Jim Dale are AMAZING. I would have him listen to the first book in the car. The books are so much easier to follow than the movies. You can get the audio books at your local library through Overdrive.

The audio books read by Jim Dale are AMAZING. I would have him listen to the first book in the car. The books are so much easier to follow than the movies. You can get the audio books at your local library through Overdrive.

great idea! i have listened to all of them at least twice! I commute about an hour each way to work :)

I would say either get him to watch movies 2 and 3 or skip to the end and show him the last one [it was in 2 parts] if the earlier ones are too "elementary" for him

I believe it is the 3rd one that deals a lot with Diagon Ally and Hogsmead.

Since he’s already seen the first, I’d move on to 2 and 3. 1 introduces you to Diagon Alley, Hogwarts, and Platform 9 3/4, 2 introduces you to Knockturn Alley, Moaning Mertle, and the chamber of secrets, and 3 introduces you Buckbeak, the whomping willow, and Hogsmeade. 1-3 really give you a good basis for most of what you’ll see in the HP lands.

However, if he’s not into HP, I wouldn’t force the issue. With a basic knowledge of book 1, he’ll get most of it, and if he has questions, you can fill him in. Maybe pointing out he can get real alcohol in HP might help him get a little more excited.

I wouldn’t suggest the last movies if he’s not really into HP. For those to even begin to make sense, you need to know what happened during the 5 year gap you’d be skipping over. That would require you basically explaining the whole story up to that point which seems kind of pointless if he doesn’t really care. I’d just explain Harry and Voldemort are both after something in the bank and are fighting. He really doesn’t need to know more than that to enjoy the ride.

3, 5, 7 and 8, is he’s only willing to watch three I’d drop 3... personally I think 5 is a must do just because of the music score that plays at the wizarding world

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!