Help! My brisket is too big

MazdaUK

<font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><
I've got a brisket out of the freezer to do in the crockpot tomorrow - we're going out so I want to put it in first thing and eat it for our evening meal:thumbsup2 Its still pretty solid, but it looks like its going to be too big:scared1: Can I cut the end off and shove it down the side OK? Or should I just try to squish it well in?

What is the best way to cook it (what to add) - I have a part jar of cranberry jelly I was planning on adding with onions and seasonings. Will it need water too?

TIA!

Yes, you can cut your brisket to fit into your crockpot. Shoving it on the side should be fine.

You say it is pretty solid. If you mean still frozen, you might cut the whole brisket into large chunks to help it thaw and cook better. If you leave it mainly intact, it might have trouble cooking if it is still frozen.

I put mine in and then pour a can of French Onion soup and a packet of dry onion soup. I also sprinkle generously with a spicy, dry BBQ rub.

I think the ingredients you have should work out fine. Most of the time not adding water makes things cook better. Plus your jelly will melt (I'm thinking) into water type liquid. You can probably get away not adding anything, or add a 1/2 cup water if you want.

They always say to cut a large piece of meat in half before you cook it in the crock pot. Liquids in the crock should come no more than 1/3 of the way up the contents.

A good recipe is to mix a can of cranberry sauce and a jar of Heinz Chili Sauce (like spicy ketchup) and pour it over the top, some people use grape jelly instead.
I like to use onion soup mix and a half bottle of dark beer.

Thanks all! The piece is defrosting in the garage, so it should be thawed by morning. Its about 4lb, but its slightly narrower at the ends so if it won't quite curve round (or if its likely to take a long time to cook!) I think I should be able to cut it in half and nestle the two thinner ends in the widest part, IYSWIM.

I'm really looking forward to this, as we're having cheesy leeks with it - we can't always have them with it otherwise because of the oven temp. (hot enough for leeks too hot for beef):banana:

ETA can I put carrots and onions on the bottom? Will they cook OK?

I think you can put the veggies on the bottom. I've never done it but I've seen recipes for that.

Will you share your cheesy leeks recipe? That sounds yummy! Thanks.

When I cook a brisket I slice up a large onion and put it in the bottom. The I slice up carrots and potatoes, season with salt, pepper and garlic and then add the beef that has been seasoned the same way. Then I top with the onion soup mix and the beer or beef broth. Cover and cook on high for about 6-8 hours depending on how big the meat is. I remove the meat to rest, remove the veggies and then thicken the juices to make gravy.

Thanks all! Here's the cheesy leeks recipe without too many of our picky English weights;) Let me know if you want more detail:thumbsup2

Clean 3 large leeks and slice into 3-5 sections (discard the very tough green from the top, but you can go a fair way up the stem). Put in a wide lidded saucepan or saute pan in one layer, our over 1/2 english pint (10 fl oz) vegetable stock. Bring to boil and simmer gently for 8-10 mins (do not overcook!)

Lift out carefully and drain on kitchen paper, reserving stock.

Make a cheese sauce - use the reserved stock toppped up to 10 fl oz with milk and use with a roux of 1oz flour and 1oz butter. When the sauce is thickened and smooth stir in 3 oz grated cheese (its nice to have a mixture of cheeses).

Put the leeks in a shallow ovenproof dish (gratin dish) with 2-3 tomatoes cit inot 6 wedges each. Pout over the sauce and sprinkle on another oz of cheese and some breadcrumbs. Cook in a hot oven (210C) until brown and bubbling - about 25-35 mins.

Serves 2 vegetarians as a main course or 4 (or two greedy non-veggies) as a side.

You could probably try it in the crockpot without precooking the leeks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter