HELP-my DD & friends want to do Disney in Feb for under $850 each!

alohamom

DIS Veteran
My daughter and her University roommates (6 in total) are asking me if it feasible to

1) fly to MCO from YYZ
2) do 2 days at the parks
3) split a hotel stay between 6 people for 4 nights (likely off site)
4) actually eat

FOR $850 CANADIAN?!?!?! DURING PRESIDENTS WEEK!?!?! (Feb 16-22 for four nights in this time frame)

My gut reaction was a big HECK NO!

...but then I priced it out a bit...

I am seeing a round trip for approx $430 Canadian from YYZ

Tickets would be approx $260 Canadian (depending on the exchange)

I know they could do a place like Sheraton Vistana Villages in a 2 bedroom with a parks shuttle for approx $200 Canadian total each for four nights

and they eat peanut butter the whole time hahaha

Soooo....

I come to you my fellow Disboard Canucks for advice. Where can we save money?

The biggest problem is one of the roomies can only spend the $850. The other girls all have bigger budgets but they want to include the other one. I told them maybe if the others all chipped in $50 each they could up their budget.

Any ideas of a fairly close to the parks inexpensive hotel or condo unit that might include breakfast? It must have a shuttle.

Should we wait and see if we can get better airfare? Maybe out of Buffalo (the exchange and getting there makes this idea not so great)

ANY AND ALL IDEAS ARE APPRECIATED...I AM LOOSING MY MIND OVER THIS!

They toyed with an all inclusive in Cuba but there really are none in that price range and they all really want to Disney. Three of the girls are international students and probably wont be back to North America for a long time once they graduate.

Thanks for any help...

I’d try for on-site. You can get Pop for $184 a night. The All stars are $160. That gets free airport transportation each way—big value and reliable service to and from the parks. Pack breakfast items in luggage. I think it can be done. Share counter service meals.

I’d try for on-site. You can get Pop for $184 a night. The All stars are $160. That gets free airport transportation each way—big value and reliable service to and from the parks. Pack breakfast items in luggage. I think it can be done. Share counter service meals.

Ohh yes, I like the idea of sharing cs meals. I am going to look at the menus on All Ears Net and price that out.

I did tell them they can take granola bars, instant oatmeal etc for quick breakfasts. None of them are divas and are pretty frugal being students so they understand why that is a smart budget move.

I wonder how many of them can fir in a room, I thought it was only four. That would mean 3 and 3 in two rooms at POP but the bus system is going to be better for them for getting to and from the parks as compared to a shuttle off site.

Thanks for the input!

What about one of the suites at All Star Music or AoA? They seem to sleep 6 adults. I'm not familiar enough to know how comfortable that would be, or if there are additional charges for extra adults in the room... but something to consider? They can watch for a package (isn't stay play dine usually out for around those dates?) which might get them a deal on the package.

If they have the QS dining plan there are places to use those credits that get you pretty big meals (like Flame Tree BBQ in Animal Kingdom or Columbia Harbor House in MK, Tangiere in Epcot).

Good point about maybe getting a suite or being able to pay extra for another adult-will look into it! Thanks...

We had stayed at the Best Western Disney Springs. They have a fantastic shuttle service to all the different parks. It is also walking distance to Disney Springs. It was very clean and rooms are HUGE!!!! The only downfall is that they have shuttle from the airport to there, but we use uber for 25.00 for two of us. I had a room with 2 queen beds and the couch also pulled out if they each wanted their own bed without sleeping together. They could share the meals and also purchase some snacks as posted earlier.

1. On October 3, 2017, the room only discount released was a 15% discount for Values.
  2. The cheapest flight I could see was February 17 to 21, YYZ to MCO for CAN$439 using Google Flights. No cheaper on the discount airlines; Sunwing, Air Transat or Swoop.
  3. 3 people in a room with the 1 extra adult premium and 15% discount would be US$212 or CAN$285 per person for 4 nights/5 days.
  4. 2 day tickets to one park each day is US$222 or CAN$295.
  5. Add in the cost for transportation from the airport to offsite hotel and return if staying offsite.
  6. Counter Service meals can easily be shared between 2 people. Kids meals are a great savings and water in a cup is always free.
  7. Using any cross border airports or alternate airports in Florida may require an expensive van rental for 6 which may be challenging if under 21 or 25. Does anyone have access to a van to go to Buffalo, Niagara Falls or Detroit?
  8. Driving down could be risky with the heavy weather in February.
The costs for flight, tickets and room (no food) are $439 + $285 + $295 = $1,019 per person.

The only hope is for a discount in flights or as mentioned, everyone pitch in to help cover the person with the limited budget. I did that many times in my University years!

@Pumpkin1172 do you know how late the shuttles ran? I think the idea of being walking to Disney Springs is a good one as they are hoping to spend some time here too

Thanks!

1. On October 3, 2017, the room only discount released was a 15% discount for Values.
  2. The cheapest flight I could see was February 17 to 21, YYZ to MCO for CAN$439 using Google Flights. No cheaper on the discount airlines; Sunwing, Air Transat or Swoop.
  3. 3 people in a room with the 1 extra adult premium and 15% discount would be US$212 or CAN$285 per person for 4 nights/5 days.
  4. 2 day tickets to one park each day is US$222 or CAN$295.
  5. Add in the cost for transportation from the airport to offsite hotel and return if staying offsite.
  6. Counter Service meals can easily be shared between 2 people. Kids meals are a great savings and water in a cup is always free.
  7. Using any cross border airports or alternate airports in Florida may require an expensive van rental for 6 which may be challenging if under 21 or 25. Does anyone have access to a van to go to Buffalo, Niagara Falls or Detroit?
  8. Driving down could be risky with the heavy weather in February.
The costs for flight, tickets and room (no food) are $439 + $285 + $295 = $1,019 per person.

The only hope is for a discount in flights or as mentioned, everyone pitch in to help cover the person with the limited budget. I did that many times in my University years!

Thanks for the comprehensive math, I didnt realize there was an extra adult premium after 3 people. Good to know.

You might also want to check out renting dvc points. Saratoga Springs is available that week. The cost divided by six is about $427, but with a kitchen, they could save a fortune in food and get transfers to/from the airport. Dvcrequest.com sponsors the site and is very reputable. No charge for extra adults.

After deducting the flight and tickets you are talking about $160 Canadian for a hotel and food each for 4 nights and 5 days. Less if you use Cottager's numbers. That is $25 USD a day for food and lodging. They could not stay at Saratoga on that even renting points or really anywhere. The only way I see it working is if they have access to a van, at least two had licenses and they drove straight through to an off site condo. The flight costs is a killer.

Do they need to pay for medical insurance?

You might also want to check out renting dvc points. Saratoga Springs is available that week. The cost divided by six is about $427, but with a kitchen, they could save a fortune in food and get transfers to/from the airport. Dvcrequest.com sponsors the site and is very reputable. No charge for extra adults.

I was actually just doing that! My only concern is if there is a minimum age to rent DVC points. I dont know why I am thinking that, maybe because you have to be 25 to rent a car LOL none of the girls are over 21.

After deducting the flight and tickets you are talking about $160 Canadian for a hotel and food each for 4 nights and 5 days. Less if you use Cottager's numbers. That is $25 USD a day for food and lodging. They could not stay at Saratoga on that even renting points or really anywhere. The only way I see it working is if they have access to a van, at least two had licenses and they drove straight through to an off site condo. The flight costs is a killer.

Do they need to pay for medical insurance?

Yeah, I really think they are going to have to pitch in to help the other girl with costs if they all want to go.

I believe they all have decent coverage from the University as well as private, but good point. I will ask them to make sure.

They ran until the parks closed when we were there. We got back to our room 2 nights around midnight and had taken the shuttle after the Fireworks at Magic Kingdom and also when we stayed late at Disney Springs. They are super easy...there is a bus that goes to 2 parks...and one that goes to the other 2 parks...and I believe that both buses stopped at Disney springs as well. They ran every half hour.

Many Kissimmee hotels offer discounts to rooms and park tickets if you are willing to attend a 90-120 minute sales presentation. For example http://www.kissimmeetouristinformationbureau.com/kissimmee_timeshareoffers.htm

But those salespeople also know young people don’t have the money to buy timeshare so they may be reluctant to even offer that.

By the way, Disney timeshare presentation attendance only gives you ice cream and fast passes... so no cash subsidy. You have to go off site.

You can also consider something like Orbitz which sometimes offers an additional 15% off the room (not sure how it works with extra adults in the room). And I think those sites where you bid or book without knowing exactly what the hotel is can also be used, sometimes you can figure out what it really is if you dig a bit.

Order counter service kids meals and ask for ice water in the parks.

Bring a couple of packs of little buns. If you’re staying at Pop (as an example), the adult portion of meatloaf, turkey and pot roast was reasonably priced and HUGE! We could make 4 or 5 decent sized sandwiches out of one meal.

I was actually just doing that! My only concern is if there is a minimum age to rent DVC points. I dont know why I am thinking that, maybe because you have to be 25 to rent a car LOL none of the girls are over 21.
No mim age, but getting someone to rent to you is another thing. Owners could be worried about damage, that they would be responsible for.
There is a rental board on here that is good, I have rented my points there before. Also depends on how much per point the owner will rent for. Going to one of the rental companies will be a couple of bucks more per point.
Last you would need 2 studios or 1 bdrms, or a 2 bdrm. This is just for the capacity that is allowed. With the 1 and 2 bdrm they do have kitchens, so you could order in from a grocery store and have food delivered. Being university kids, they will eat anything, I remember, so they can pack food in their backpacks and go with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!