HELP! Need to book another room

ky.

Mouseketeer
Hoping someone here can help me....and that I can explain this coherently....

I have a free dinning offer booked for the fall for 4 adults and 1 2year old at POP for a week. When we made the reservation, we thought we'd all survive in 1 room for the week...now that we've had some time to think about it, we realize we will probably all kill each other if we are in such close quarters for a full week. The only value resorts left with free dinning for our week are AoA but its around 2,000 more for the week which we cannot afford. After thinking about it for a while, we realized we could just book a room only reservation at POP with the enchanted summer offer for around 900 for the week which is way more doable. We do NOT want to modify our existing reservation as we do not want to lose our 'free' dinning, so what we want to do is keep that reservation with all 4 adults and the 2 year old as 1 reservation (but in reality only 2 adults and the toddler will stay in the room) and book a room only reservation for the other 2 adults to stay in. My questions are:

1) Is it ok to have 2 reservations for the same week both in my name? I feel like I read somewhere that disney does not like this, and will cancel double reservations. Should someone else in the party put the room only reservation on their credit card? Obviously we can't just make up a name because we need ID to check in. Do they check the names of the other guests in the room? For example, can adult 1 (myself) be the lead guest on the free dining room and also be listed as a guest on the room only reservation as the second guest?

2) Assuming the above is settled, how will magic bands work? 2 adults will receive 2 sets so will they function for both rooms? We will have to link our accounts I assume but (going back to my first question / problem) will that be allowed if everything is booked with the same guest names and emails??

Hopefully this all makes sense to someone as we hope to have this all sorted and taken care of soon and I know theres some really knowledgeable people on this board!!!

I understand perfectly what you are saying. I wish I had an answer for you. I hope someone knows what you can do. I'm interested in the answer and how it works out for you.

Reactions: ky.
I understand what you're asking but am not sure it's possible to do so as basically you are 'double dipping.' Listing someone on a room they're not staying in in order to qualify them for FD.

Before anything I would check to see if there is even availability for a second room. I attempted to add 1 day to my FD trip and even though I was willing to pay full price for the room and not have it linked to my other reservation, there was zero availability at Pop! Since the renovations Pop is extremely popular and appears to be fully occupied many nights.

If you can find availability, I'm not sure if they would allow you to book a second room for people who are already listed on another reservation for the same nights. Seems like they would question that.

I just remembered! Did you book through a TA or on your own? On our only trip to WDW 8 years ago we booked during free dining in September. A couple of months later we wanted to add more days to our stay, realizing (after I came across disboards) we would not have enough time to hit all the parks. Online it showed our resort sold out for Free Dining. I even called to inquire. When I phoned our TA in a mini panic, she was able to get our reservation extended without issue.

I see no reason why you couldn't have the extra two adults book a room only reservation. They don't have to have tickets attached to their room. You keep your original reservation with them on it. The address and ID requirement is only for the person who is lead on the reservation. Either one of the adults in room #2 puts themselves as lead on room #2 reservation. Keep all tickets under room #1. You will pay the extra person charge for each of the extra adults but that would be less than paying for their meals OoP. The extra adults will have two sets of MB one that is only for their room and another one that is attached to their tickets and room #1.

I suppose Disney could cross reference the reservation names and realize two of the people in room #1 have a reservation in room #2. I highly doubt they would bother doing this. There was an example of someone who had her DH arriving after a few days. She spent the first part of her holiday in Room #1 with her daughter and granddaughter then physically moved over to room #2 while DH was there, then back to room #1 when he left. She had the two rooms in her name the entire length of her visit. You may also find that all 4 adults will need to be in room #1 for a day or two if you can't get a reservation for room #2 for your entire visit.

I see no reason why you couldn't have the extra two adults book a room only reservation. They don't have to have tickets attached to their room. You keep your original reservation with them on it. The address and ID requirement is only for the person who is lead on the reservation. Either one of the adults in room #2 puts themselves as lead on room #2 reservation. Keep all tickets under room #1. You will pay the extra person charge for each of the extra adults but that would be less than paying for their meals OoP. The extra adults will have two sets of MB one that is only for their room and another one that is attached to their tickets and room #1.

I suppose Disney could cross reference the reservation names and realize two of the people in room #1 have a reservation in room #2. I highly doubt they would bother doing this. There was an example of someone who had her DH arriving after a few days. She spent the first part of her holiday in Room #1 with her daughter and granddaughter then physically moved over to room #2 while DH was there, then back to room #1 when he left. She had the two rooms in her name the entire length of her visit. You may also find that all 4 adults will need to be in room #1 for a day or two if you can't get a reservation for room #2 for your entire visit.

We called and the customer service rep said that in order for her to book a 2ed room for us she would need to remove the 2 guest from the FD room to put them on the room only reservation. Obviously this is not what we wanted to do so she advised that I should book it online and hope they don't pick it up. We essential did what @ottawamom said, but to be extra safe we booked it under one of the other adults (not me) and used their secondary email address as their main one is linked to my MDE for MM purposes. Luckly there was still availability at the resort for our week with the "enchanted room offer" so there was no issues there. Now I just have to try to forget about it and not compulsively check on the reservations several times per day for the next 122 days to make sure they are both still there lol (tho the agent did advise that they will not cancel anything without first contacting us by phone, but I know that phone agents have been known to give false information from time to time).

:stitch2:

Glad it worked out. I wouldn't worry about them connecting the two reservations. When we traveled recently I had to call and have them link the reservations with a TW # (travelling with #) to ensure the room my adult children were in would be near our room. Disney won't go looking for this kind of an exception just make sure you check in separate from one and other. If you're taking ME to get from the airport put everyone on your reservation and send all the bags to your room that way they think all 4 adults are in the FD room.

You may find that you are on opposite sides of the resort unless you both request the same building when doing online check-in. Don't attempt to link the two reservations or Disney may figure out what you're really doing. Not that you are doing anything wrong (you're giving them lots of extra money for the second room and paying for 2 extra adults in the first room)

If you opt out of mousekeeping in both rooms that will offset some of the extra person charge you are being charged in the FD room. $10 per night on two rooms (less 1 night) adds up. They will want to give you that amount electronically to your email. Tell them you can't access your emails while at Disney and ask for it to be put on a gift card. They will, sometimes reluctantly, do that.

I'm a little confused. Disney gets more money with you doing it this way. Why aren't you allowed? You're actually paying for an extra room, plus the extra for the adults in your room. What does that extra work out to, compared to buying a dining package? Are you saving quite a lot this way?

Dining plan is $52.50 per adult per day. Adding the extra person onto the room is $15 per day. There is a saving to be had (not to mention peace of mind that they aren't tripping over each other)

The not allowed part is two people having reservations in two different rooms at the same time. More money for Disney so they won't look to hard to figure it out.

Dont worry you will be fine. And as said worst that will happen is rooms at different ends of the resort. But if that happens just request after the one with just the adults check into.
Also you could have the second group check in after all of you do. The cast memebers wont remember all. Just you who is the main check in person

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!