** HELP!!!OUTRAGEOUS car rental quotes!!! **

wheeler

CHARTER MEMBER '97
Normally I book my rental car about 2-3 months out, so admittedly, I am running a little behind (I leave in 3 weeks!) but HOLY CROW! I am being quoted OVER **$300** for ECONOMY/COMPACTS for 9 day rentals!!!!!!! I've been going to WDW for the same amount of time, virtually the SAME DATES every year for the last 5 years and I don't think I've *EVER* paid more than $170 on a MID-SIZE!!!!!!!!!! What the heck is going on???????!!!!!!!!! I'm freaking out here!!!!!!! This was definately *NOT* in the budget plans!!!! YIKES!!! HELP!!!???

I know this won't make you feel much better...but I've noticed the same thing, and so have a lot of people that I know who've been trying to make car ressies. We booked last September, for a full-size, for 8-days we got a $205.00 rate,(AVIS), I've been checking weekly and the cheapest I can get the same car, is for $348.00!! Why don't you try joining a program, like Avis Preferred, or Dollar Fastlane? When you join them, they typically give you coupons for a free day, or upgrade. Also, it helps to join all the major Rental Agencies mailing lists, they often e-mail specials. Hope this helps!!

I have worked for a car rental company before. Unfortunately, car rental companies update their rates everyday to be competitive. With the summer time approaches, the demand is high therefore the rate is high as well. That's why you get such a high quote compared to the ones that you had before.

One tip for you is to call around and see whether the company can match up the rate. I know that Enterprise rent a car sometimes do that. You just tell them what rate you have got so far and see whether they can match it up for you.

Are you a DC member? I use the code from DC to check the rate from National. 9 days rental for compact car from May 1-10 is $298.25, including taxes. DC saves you 95 dollors on the car rental. Also, you probably know that renting car at the airport is always more expensive then if you rent it outside of the airport because of the airport tax. So see wheter you can get a ride to your hotel and get a car rental company to pick you up from the hotel to get the rental car.

good luck!!

I got an economy car at Dollar for Nov. 2002 for 8+ days for $208, all taxes etc. included. I'd been watching my week for a few months and the rate just came down. Try code FISH if you use Dollar out of MCO.

Bill From PA

I know it's too late for you now, but for spring/summer trips you need to book your car rental in the fall. I got $139 for a week with National, full size EA w/disney club discounts when I booked last October for May 4 to 10. This is the 3rd May we are going and I always book the previous fall and get great rates. Last May was $114.

When checking prices for rental cars the cheapest i found was dollar for a weeks rental. I was quoted 158 and change with taxes it comes out to 197 and change. This is the best i've seen. I will be dropping the car off at courtyard by marriot if if choose to rent from here. should i book or should i wait and see if prices go down. We are going August 9-23 but will only have the rental for the 1st 7 days. Any suggestions?

Hello Wheeler-
I just rented from Avis last week for May and got a great rate of 165.00( before fees and taxes). Try using rate code USA and AWD# K163324. My quote was for any car from economy to full size. If you do book online,(no credit card needed) make sure you PRINT OUT YOUR CONF. It might be your only proof of your locked in rate. Go back to Avis and apply for a wizard number, your free gift is a coupon for an additional 5.00 off per day up to 5 days. A savings of 25.00 more.
Good luck with your searching.

sweetheart2576,

Reserve your best deal online and just cancel and re-reserve if you find better later. That' what I did with Dollar at MCO. No credit card is needed to make a ressie.

Bill From PA

I think a lot of us are experiencing RCQS (rental car quote shock).
Try http://www.biddingfortravel.com .

When the page opens scroll down to RENTAL CARS and then continue to scroll down to "websites for checking car rental rates". Click on that and you will find some tips for getting a great rental rate.

And who knows you may decide to give priceline a whirl. You can click right on to the priceline link from that web site.
Anyway good luck! :)

I just checked for a rental and then I went to priceline and did it for the same rental type. I t was actually 55 more thru priceline! (would have been if I had been accepted) Wow I will stick to hotwire if I do that again!

Do you think that the price of Gas could have something to do with the cost of rental cars increasing?? People who were going to drive, may now fly with the costs rising. For example. I drove down 2/23. When I left gas at my Mobil station, that I always use, was 117.9/gallon. I just got gas tonight on the way home from work. 139.9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So my drive at today's prices would have cost me around an extra $60. The car rental companies must realize that and are taking advantage of the fact.

buzz5985,

The economy was hurting the travel industry before 9/11 and things only got worse after that. Most rental companies reduced their fleets so as not to have unused cars sitting around depreciating. With less supply, they all can demand, and get, more.

Bill From PA

I got a rate of 197.00 on National's website using 2 Disney Club discount codes. I know one of them is available to anone ans there's a link on the Mousesavers website. My rate is for full size or my choice from the Emerald Aisle (I also got a free membership for that thru the Disney Club) This is the first time I've EVER paid more than 140.00 for a car rental since finding codes and hints on the DIS. I check different sites several times daily and even tried Priceline w/out any luck. **sigh** I can't complain though, at leat I'll be driving my rental car straight to WDW once I pick it up in only 8 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :)

Noel- I too made reservations for National using DC but when I tried booking with my Emerald Club membership it kicked me out to counter service. How did you use DC discount and still get to use Emerald Aisle?

Gail I think it depends on what type of car you're renting. Only full size, standard and mid size are good for EA service. I *think*.

Actually, I rented standard. Someone suggested that because I requested booster seat may have been the reason it bumped me to counter. What do you think? If this is a request, will it keep me from using Aisle?

Like i said earlier in the post i have rented dollar for 7 days for about 197 with the fvg code. Was checking prices again to day to see if rates went down. Used the same code and now getting a quote of 227. I cant believe it has went up so much so fast.

Gailg Yes! You were bumped to counter because of the booster seat requirement.
After all, you dont expect National to know which vehicle you are going to pick from EA and have a booster seat already in it, do you? :D

Sweetheart Yes FVG has a date range criteria so maybe you are outside those dates. Try GLOBE or KISS or visit Mousesavers for other code. I know the code FISH will save you plenty but there is a question mark over the requirement for using it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter