Help! Plane travel with wedding gown.

TikiBabe

'ohana
So, we were originally supposed to have my gown and his suit hitching a car ride with my family down to FL, but now they don't have room for it. :(

So now I am in a panic trying to figure out how I am going to take it on the airplane and if it's going to work without getting crushed in an overhead compartment. :scared: Or if they are going to even let me bring it on as a carry on. We have an allowance with our fare for one checked bag each and then a carry on and personal item. So I'm checking one bag, I always volunteer to check my carryon smaller bag at the gate, and then I'll have my purse and the dress. Will they allow this? Oh also, our plane has no closets to hang anything so asking them nicely to do that is not an option. Ladies help!:eek:

Always check with the airline what their policies are. Maybe they have options you don't know of, or it might be a different plane than you expect. And always ask nicely when you enter the plane. You are not the first bride on their flight and they are usually willing to think out of the box if necessary.
Otherwise best is to place it on top of the trolleys, not under it. Try to be the first to board to talk to the crew, I would even ask the desk staff if they can help you to board first.

On another note, is everything your family is bringing by car more important than your dress? Is there anything that could travel in a different way in exchange for your dress?
Not talking about their suitcases and all, but if they also bring wedding favors (for example), maybe look into either leave these at home or send ahead via mail.

Congrats in advance!pixiedust: When we were leaving Orlando in October, we were on the tram with a couple who were getting married and the groom was carrying a suit bag and the bride to be was carrying a very large bag with a wedding dress. It was huge! So, it must be done all the time with the popularity of destination weddings. I exchanged congrats in advance with the couple, they were beaming! Call the airline and they will guide you on policy. Enjoy your special day!:love:

Always check with the airline what their policies are. Maybe they have options you don't know of, or it might be a different plane than you expect. And always ask nicely when you enter the plane. You are not the first bride on their flight and they are usually willing to think out of the box if necessary.
Otherwise best is to place it on top of the trolleys, not under it. Try to be the first to board to talk to the crew, I would even ask the desk staff if they can help you to board first.

On another note, is everything your family is bringing by car more important than your dress? Is there anything that could travel in a different way in exchange for your dress?
Not talking about their suitcases and all, but if they also bring wedding favors (for example), maybe look into either leave these at home or send ahead via mail.
Their car only fits them and their luggage and my nieces bridesmaid dress. :(

Call the airline. Does the flight have first class seats available? If so, they should have a nice little closet.

Southwest let me purchase a seat. If your flight isn’t full this may be an option for you. They didn’t gouge me, it cost maybe $100.

I was in the situation where everyone near me was also flying and there was no way I was shipping it down (out of sight/trusting it would make it back to me safe and sound). It definitely exceeded carry on allowance.

When I got married almost 10 years ago I carried my dress on to the plane and the flight attendants hung the dress in a closet at the front of the plane. I just had to get it from them before I left the plane. I was too afraid to check it in my luggage lol
Congrats and have fun!!

Worse case, if the airline will only have overhead space. Purchase a travel hand held steamer so you can get any wrinkles or crushes out. Walmart usually has them as well as Bed Bath and Beyond.

Congratulations!

I actually flew with my ballgown down from NYC > Orlando. We flew Jetblue and didn't check a bag.
I had my dress in a Wally bag which counted as my carry-on and one of those Kate Spade bags as my personal item. We managed to fit all our things into 1 Away carry-on suitcase (which counted as my husband's carry-on) and his suit was his personal item.

I used Carolyn Allen's shipping service, which allows you to send them the dress, they bring it to your hotel room, and then they steam it for you. It was SO nice not to have to hassle with lugging my dress all over the airport! They will also let you send his suit.

Do you know around how much a service like this costs? I keep telling myself "do I really need to steam my dress? Will anyone even notice?" But if its bundled with shipping and delivery of my dress then it might be worth it.

Do you know around how much a service like this costs? I keep telling myself "do I really need to steam my dress? Will anyone even notice?" But if its bundled with shipping and delivery of my dress then it might be worth it.

You pay for steaming (which starts at around $100, depending on the fabric and style) and a handling fee of $15 or $20 for them to receive the package, store it and bring you the gown. It was totally worth it to me!

I flew with my gown via Southwest. Pretty much went to my last fitting, and I brought carry on- travel suitcase (Travel-pro). My seamstress was nice enough to wrap it up and place it in the suitcase. I would be too nervous to ship it or have someone drive it down. I ended up using Carolyn Allen's steaming service that came to my resort room, and that was a plus for me. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!