Help! Staying offsite for the first time. Looking for tips and tricks.

amberdc1987

To Infinity and Beyond!!
I am planning a trip for Dec 7-14, 2019. We have been many times before and I’m a pro at planning trips where we have stayed onsite. But this time there are 13 of us going, so to save a bit of knee we are just getting a house offsite.

I am looking for any help, tips, tricks or information about staying offsite and getting to the parks. We will have 8 adults and 5 kids with us. 2 of the adults will be pass holders.

Any help would be much appreciated.

You need to decide are you going out for meals or cooking at the house or a combination. I would stay were it's easy to go to restaurants if you are going to eat out more. If you're cooking more than make sure it's easy access to a grocery store.

I wouldn't do more than a half hour commute to the parks.

Determine if you are going to stick together all the time or break up into two or three smaller groups for the parks. Make this decision before your 30 day mark comes for FPs. You need to decide if you can all get up at the same time and leave together to the parks. You can have meeting times in the parks if you split up for part of the day.

I would eat a meal in the park to avoid any additional commuting and have a longer day in the parks. It doesn't have to be a table service meal.

Make sure everyone agrees to the bedding arrangements. You don't want complications once you get there.

Try to get an understanding of the distribution of any work involved.

Last edited:

You need to decide are you going out for meals or cooking at the house or a combination. I would stay were it's easy to go to restaurants if you are going to eat out more. If you're cooking more than make sure it's easy access to a grocery store.

I wouldn't do more than a half hour commute to the parks.

Determine if you are going to stick together all the time or break up into two or three smaller groups for the parks. Make this decision before your 30 day mark comes for FPs. You need to decide if you can all get up at the same time and leave together to the parks. You can have meeting times in the parks if you split up for part of the day.

I would eat a meal in the park to avoid any additional commuting and have a longer day in the parks. It doesn't have to a table service meal.

Make sure everyone agrees to the bedding arrangements. You don't want complications once you get there.

Try to get an understanding of the distribution of any work involved.

All good information thanks! The house we have booked is just a few miles outside the gates. The commute is like 10 minutes, not bad at all.
The majority of our food will be in the parks or somewhere in Disney. We will eat breakfast at the house but that's it...maybe dinner one night on our "rest" day.
Fortunately the house has many beds and everyone has agreed to what is theirs. The only fight I see is who gets to sleep in the Star Wars room. :rotfl2:

I'm not sure what type of tips you are looking for.

Keep in mind that the AP holders get free parking, so take advantage of that perk as much as you can. I don't know how many vehicles you'll have but at least have one of them in each of 2 vehicles rather than them staying together.

Staying offsite is great because you get all of the amenities of the rental homes and at a far lower price than anything onsite. Plus you have easy access to Disney property and to offsite stores and restaurants. You can stock the fridge and kitchen with foods for breakfast and snacks both to carry with you into the parks and to have when you are back at the house.

One tip for getting from the house to Disney is to take Sherberth Road if you will be somewhere along 192 west of I-4. That leads you onto property right by AKL and AK. It avoids some of the roads that get most congested.

If you have any more specific questions, we can certainly help.

We always stay offsite at the Marriott World Center site. We always have enough points to get a free week at one of the condos there so I can’t pass that up vs spending $2000 on a similar room. I’ve also stayed cheap at a Townplace Suites on the other side of Disney using points but knowing we would only use the room to sleep.

That being said, either area is a great location. You’re 12-15 from any park typically assuming you have a car. Parking is $22 a day but can be used all day at any park. Get there before 7:30 and sometimes parking is free we found out because nobody is there yet to take money.

I prefer offsite because you don’t have to rely on their transportation other than the monorail at MK. You get the option of eating anywhere you want. We eat in parks, offsite and at resorts. Having a car makes it easy. We do a pool day each trip and the Marriott has the largest pool in Florida which is cool.

A larger group makes it harder to plan because you can’t make everyone happy. I’m about to do the same for a family of 12 and I dread that. But it saves a lot to stay offsite. I suggest using points if possible to save some. But location is very important. Near the parks to avoid traffic is key but also knowing the routes and finding things along the route like a CVS or Starbucks or Chick-fil-A is nice. Some places are along the tool road. Others are just in an undeveloped area. We like being able to leave the room, grab a breakfast to go, and then be at the park before it opens. Some hotels have 2-3br suites for very little extra that work great for us.

Figure out a rough transportation schedule in advance if you are consolidating transportation to the parks. Depending on the age of kids and adults, there should probably be an earlier and later option to hit the parks, and to return. Young kids and older adults may not have the stamina for rope drop to fireworks. You can also supplement with Uber/Lyft if timings aren't working out.

I am looking for any help, tips, tricks or information about staying offsite and getting to the parks.

Keep in mind that the AP holders get free parking, so take advantage of that perk as much as you can. I don't know how many vehicles you'll have but at least have one of them in each of 2 vehicles rather than them staying together.

I will add to disneysteve's comment to add that the AP holder will also need to have their ID with them to show at the parking booth. They do check. You have picked a good week to visit and the traffic getting into Disney shouldn't be too bad.

If you are staying near the main gate you are near a lot of restaurants and shopping. There is a new Walmart at the corner of Old Lake Wilson Road and 192. A bit further west there is a Publix grocery store and a Target.

It sounds like you have put together a pretty good plan.

I don't know if your rental has a pool but if it does then you will want to get pool heat if you plan to swim.
Wishing you a pixiedust: visit!

I am planning a trip for Dec 7-14, 2019. We have been many times before and I’m a pro at planning trips where we have stayed onsite. But this time there are 13 of us going, so to save a bit of knee we are just getting a house offsite.

I am looking for any help, tips, tricks or information about staying offsite and getting to the parks. We will have 8 adults and 5 kids with us. 2 of the adults will be pass holders.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Are you driving? I would bring a couple of crock pots for super easy meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter