Help with beginning plans

Oops, "a few days" in Kyoto would have been clearer. :) Yeah, a day trip would not be recommended. If you decide to go to Kyoto, you can look into flying into Tokyo and out of Osaka, or vice versa. It would save you the return trip on the Shinkansen (high speed train), which is a little pricey. Depends what flights are available where you are though.

The Nikko ryokan was this one:
www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298182-d1081590-Reviews-Kozuchi_no_Yado_Tsurukame_Daikichi-Nikko_Tochigi_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Although for first time visitors, I'd recommend Hakone over Nikko. Sounds like the food will probably be an issue for you. It's very Japanese and usually there's no choice - no menu, just eat what they serve. The only choice I remember having was getting to pick which whole raw fish I wanted grilled for breakfast. :) In any case, you can scroll through the TA pictures and see. I have lots of pictures in my TR too:

travelswith2kids.wordpress.com/2017/10/06/day-5-part-2-tsurukame-daikichi/
We are from the Midwest so we will most likely have to drive a ways to get to a big airport. I’m thinking chicago might be our best option. So do you recommend doing Disney first or last on our trip?

Also, do you think two weeks is enough time to do Disney, see Tokyo, and then venture over to Osaka? Dh wants to do 3 weeks but I feel like that is going to be expensive.

I don’t like any seafood so a ryokan might not work for us lol

We are from the Midwest so we will most likely have to drive a ways to get to a big airport. I’m thinking chicago might be our best option. So do you recommend doing Disney first or last on our trip?

Also, do you think two weeks is enough time to do Disney, see Tokyo, and then venture over to Osaka? Dh wants to do 3 weeks but I feel like that is going to be expensive.

I don’t like any seafood so a ryokan might not work for us lol

We did Disney last. My thinking was that I wanted to be fully recovered from jet lag and that we would buy the most stuff there. Day of the week will be important to avoid crowds. Tuesday-Thursday is best, then my impression is Friday is better than Monday.

2 weeks may be enough. Hopefully you can plan out what you want to see before you book the flights.

I personally think that is enough time. There isn't a LOT to see in Tokyo or its surrounds. If you spend 3/4 days at Tokyo Disney Resort, that would leave around three days in Tokyo. You could do a day trip to Mt Fuji, although she's very shy, so it may not be worthwhile. A day of exploring the "city" sights (e.g. skyscrapers, Harajuku, Ginza, Shinjuku, shops, etc) and possibly a day visiting some of the parks and shrines.

A bullet train to Osaka is quick and enjoyable. From Osaka, you can do bullet train day-trips to Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima, etc. It really depends upon how busy you want your holiday to be.

We did Disney last. My thinking was that I wanted to be fully recovered from jet lag and that we would buy the most stuff there. Day of the week will be important to avoid crowds. Tuesday-Thursday is best, then my impression is Friday is better than Monday.

2 weeks may be enough. Hopefully you can plan out what you want to see before you book the flights.
I was wanting to do Disney last also so that’s good. Why is Friday better than Monday? That’s weird lol. Right now I’m planning on four days for the parks.

So is it best to book all of our hotels first before plane tickets? How far in advance should we do this?

I personally think that is enough time. There isn't a LOT to see in Tokyo or its surrounds. If you spend 3/4 days at Tokyo Disney Resort, that would leave around three days in Tokyo. You could do a day trip to Mt Fuji, although she's very shy, so it may not be worthwhile. A day of exploring the "city" sights (e.g. skyscrapers, Harajuku, Ginza, Shinjuku, shops, etc) and possibly a day visiting some of the parks and shrines.

A bullet train to Osaka is quick and enjoyable. From Osaka, you can do bullet train day-trips to Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima, etc. It really depends upon how busy you want your holiday to be.
Would it be best to just stay at one hotel while in Tokyo? I’m not sure how much we want to move around to different places to sleep.

I’ll have to talk with dh and see if we can figure out all of the things we would like to do to see how long it will take. Thanks!

I was wanting to do Disney last also so that’s good. Why is Friday better than Monday? That’s weird lol. Right now I’m planning on four days for the parks.

So is it best to book all of our hotels first before plane tickets? How far in advance should we do this?

My guess is the tendency is to extend the weekend rather than take off early.

After you figure out all the things you want to see, then you can figure out the general area to stay that would be the most convenient. I don't like to book any nonrefundable hotels or even anything with a penalty until I have flights booked. You never know if a good flight fare might come up that might change the dates. No harm in booking refundable hotels though, I book and cancel plenty of those (just don't forget to cancel! lol).

My guess is the tendency is to extend the weekend rather than take off early.

After you figure out all the things you want to see, then you can figure out the general area to stay that would be the most convenient. I don't like to book any nonrefundable hotels or even anything with a penalty until I have flights booked. You never know if a good flight fare might come up that might change the dates. No harm in booking refundable hotels though, I book and cancel plenty of those (just don't forget to cancel! lol).
Yeah I think we would definitely book refundable so we can figure out plane tickets.

I can’t decide when we should go. I would like to see the 35th anniversary before it’s gone but February looks kind of cold and March busy. Should we just go at the end of May?

Yeah I think we would definitely book refundable so we can figure out plane tickets.

I can’t decide when we should go. I would like to see the 35th anniversary before it’s gone but February looks kind of cold and March busy. Should we just go at the end of May?

I assume going this year is out? For me, nice weather and low crowds would win out over any special celebration. If you go in May, the Easter celebration will still be going on.

I assume going this year is out? For me, nice weather and low crowds would win out over any special celebration. If you go in May, the Easter celebration will still be going on.
Yeah this year is out. We just did wdw in February and are going again in October. So you’re saying may would be better? Is there a better time in May as well?

We went mid-May back in 2016 and it seemed a pretty good time to go. Weather was pretty good and parks weren’t too crowded. I would also recommend flying into Osaka and spending a couple of days there, and doing day trips to Hiroshima and Miyajima one day and Kyoto another, then taking the bullet train to Tokyo and spending a few days seeing it and maybe taking a few day trips out - we enjoyed a day in Yokohama and another in Matsumoto - and then finishing with at least four days at the Disney resort.

We went mid-May back in 2016 and it seemed a pretty good time to go. Weather was pretty good and parks weren’t too crowded. I would also recommend flying into Osaka and spending a couple of days there, and doing day trips to Hiroshima and Miyajima one day and Kyoto another, then taking the bullet train to Tokyo and spending a few days seeing it and maybe taking a few day trips out - we enjoyed a day in Yokohama and another in Matsumoto - and then finishing with at least four days at the Disney resort.
So May should be good as long as we don't go during Golden Week right?

That actually sounds exactly like what I was wanting to do! I was planning on flying into Osaka and doing day trips, taking the bullet train to Tokyo, then finishing with Disney. When we stay in Tokyo should we just plan on one hotel the entire time or split a stay between one closer to the city and one closer to Disney?

When we stay in Tokyo should we just plan on one hotel the entire time or split a stay between one closer to the city and one closer to Disney?

I’d recommend staying at the resort for 4 to 5 nights, and in Tokyo for about the same.

So May should be good as long as we don't go during Golden Week right?

Yes, I would avoid the first week of May. I’m not sure about the last week but I think the middle two are pretty good.

I’d recommend staying at the resort for 4 to 5 nights, and in Tokyo for about the same.

Yes, I would avoid the first week of May. I’m not sure about the last week but I think the middle two are pretty good.
Right now I'm looking at the Hilton for our Disney resort. The official Disney resorts look great, but they are way out of our price range. The only one I think we could swing would be the Ambassador, but it would only be for 3 or 4 nights so not really enough time to enjoy it. Should we do an AirBnB for the other part of our Tokyo stay?

I just looked at a couple Japanese calendars and it looks like mid-May should be pretty good. It's not showing anything for the end of May either. I don't see anything at the end of February so maybe we could go then if we want to catch the 35th anniversary. I'm just not sure if the celebration is worth it.

Right now I'm looking at the Hilton for our Disney resort. The official Disney resorts look great, but they are way out of our price range. The only one I think we could swing would be the Ambassador, but it would only be for 3 or 4 nights so not really enough time to enjoy it. Should we do an AirBnB for the other part of our Tokyo stay?

I just looked at a couple Japanese calendars and it looks like mid-May should be pretty good. It's not showing anything for the end of May either. I don't see anything at the end of February so maybe we could go then if we want to catch the 35th anniversary. I'm just not sure if the celebration is worth it.

We stayed at the Sheraton for our Disney resort portion of our trip in 2014 because the Disney hotels were too expensive and it was fine. We upgraded to concierge when we got there so we had a nice breakfast every morning and a wine and cheese reception in the evening. I would think the Hilton would be similar.

When we went back in 2016 we got a pretty good price at the Disneyland Hotel. I’d keep checking prices once you narrow down your dates.

I don’t have any experience with Airbnb. Our first trip to Tokyo, we stayed at the hotel where my kids were staying for their study abroad program. The second trip we booked through a site called Tripmasters. We booked our airfare through them as well.

When we went in 2016 it was the 15th anniversary of DisneySea. There was special merchandise and other things but I don’t know if it would be worth the possible colder weather you might get in February. Maybe check hotel and flight prices for both times and let that be the decision maker?

We stayed at the Sheraton for our Disney resort portion of our trip in 2014 because the Disney hotels were too expensive and it was fine. We upgraded to concierge when we got there so we had a nice breakfast every morning and a wine and cheese reception in the evening. I would think the Hilton would be similar.

When we went back in 2016 we got a pretty good price at the Disneyland Hotel. I’d keep checking prices once you narrow down your dates.

I don’t have any experience with Airbnb. Our first trip to Tokyo, we stayed at the hotel where my kids were staying for their study abroad program. The second trip we booked through a site called Tripmasters. We booked our airfare through them as well.

When we went in 2016 it was the 15th anniversary of DisneySea. There was special merchandise and other things but I don’t know if it would be worth the possible colder weather you might get in February. Maybe check hotel and flight prices for both times and let that be the decision maker?
I'll have to check the Disney hotels once it gets closer to our trip and after we have picked dates.

I'm going to try looking at the Tripmasters and see what I can find.

Do you have any recommendations for hotels in Osaka?

I think we will probably end up going in May. I don't really want to leave a cold place in February only to visit another cold place.

I think we stayed at the Hotel Villa Fontaine in Osaka. I booked It through tripmasters as well. It did the job but I don’t remember being too impressed. We were able to get hotels and flights through tripmasters for what we would have paid for flights so we weren’t too picky about the hotels.

The trick to booking through tripmasters if you want to have them book most but not all the hotels is to add the days to the trip and then tell it not to include hotels for those nights. So you tell it say, 4 nights in Tokyo and then another 4 nights and delete the hotels on the second 4.

It will recommend hotels and then you can look at upgrading them and it will tell you how much it will cost. I also told it I would travel on my own between Osaka and Tokyo, then bought a JR pass so we could take the train.

I think we stayed at the Hotel Villa Fontaine in Osaka. I booked It through tripmasters as well. It did the job but I don’t remember being too impressed. We were able to get hotels and flights through tripmasters for what we would have paid for flights so we weren’t too picky about the hotels.

The trick to booking through tripmasters if you want to have them book most but not all the hotels is to add the days to the trip and then tell it not to include hotels for those nights. So you tell it say, 4 nights in Tokyo and then another 4 nights and delete the hotels on the second 4.

It will recommend hotels and then you can look at upgrading them and it will tell you how much it will cost. I also told it I would travel on my own between Osaka and Tokyo, then bought a JR pass so we could take the train.
Can I ask how much you paid for plane tickets? I’m not sure what to expect.

How do I tell tripmasters that we will travel on our own between Osaka and Tokyo?

Would it be best to just stay at one hotel while in Tokyo?

If you're spending three to four days at Disney Resort, I would recommend changing hotels while in Tokyo. Stay at one in "central" Tokyo for the "Tokyo" part of the trip and stay at one on the monorail line at Tokyo Bay for the "Disney" part of the trip.

Commuting to and from Tokyo Disney each day is certainly doable. But, it can still take a lot of time (e.g. up to an hour). And when you need to be at the parks an hour early and stay until closing (or really, after closing doing shopping), they can be LONG days. On our first two trips, we commuted each day, and we'd often end up only getting around 5/6 hours sleep each night. On our most recent trip we stayed at the Hilton at Tokyo Bay and it was so much better. We even ducked back to the hotel one day when the weather turned unexpectedly cold and wet to grab appropriate jackets.

Can I ask how much you paid for plane tickets? I’m not sure what to expect.

How do I tell tripmasters that we will travel on our own between Osaka and Tokyo?

I'd have to go back and look. It was almost two years ago. Plus it would be higher than you might pay because we went to Hong Kong before Japan. We also left from Portland Oregon.

There's usually a button that gives you an option to go by plane or train or car or on your own. Sometimes not every option is available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter