Help with self abusive/violent meltdowns...autism

mimmy

Earning My Ears
I hate having to post this. I think its only my third post here to boot. I don't get a lot of time to write as I am having a rough summer with my oldest. I have looked so many places on line and have asked so many people locally and no one has any real answers...no one wants to admit this happens...but I'm living it right now

My DS (8) is classified as having severe autism with cognitive age ranges and coping skills anywhere from 1 month (coping skills) to 2-3 yrs (cognitive abilities). I have 3 other younger typical kids (DD 7, DS 4, DD 18 mths). There are VERY FEW services in my area for kids who are severely affected. He has begun self injurious behavior (self biting of wrists, arms, grabbing hard and yanking of ears and area around armpits) and violent behavior towards me particularly (biting, scratching, kicking, hitting, etc). So far little violence has been directed toward my other kids...sometimes they get a little of the behavior when he is aiming for me...typically when I am limiting his time at the TV...or trying to monitor him with electronics (computer, tv, dvd...) all of which he loves to stim on to the point of breaking the electronic device. I am at a loss of what to do. Even if you don't personally have any suggestions but know of an online resource I could check I would be most appreciative. TIA....Mimmy

Here's a :grouphug: coming your way. Boy those hormones do wreak havoc.

If I am reading your locations correct, you are in South Carolina? If so get in touch with TEACCH at http://www.teacch.com/. They do wonders for both the families and caregivers. We even have a great respite camp here in NC.

My daughter went to the Wilmington office and she loved it. She was also in a summer program with other kids at her level for social play.

http://www.teacch.com/Attachments/DivisionTEACCH.pdf is a good show of what they offer.

:grouphug:

I'm not sure if you have tried other sensory seeking methods but I have a few to suggest.

-Chewy tubes or bracelets or something of the sort... will provide oral sensations (can buy them online)

-weighted blankets or lap pads (make them heavier than you think! I'm a full size adult and have an approx. twin size blanket that is 11 lbs.)

-therapy dough/play dough for hand stimulation

I would start considering things that you can do to replace the behaviors with something that may provide a similar (or possibly more comforting) sensation.

Just a consideration... Good luck!

I really do not have any recommendations since we are just at the beginning of getting my DS diagnosed. However, I think you are smart to find a group online that is dealing with the same issues. Maybe someone here on on the the regular Disabilities board (typically Disney related) can recommend some other websites that have forums. I would post your same thread on that board as well, as many people look at that forum but not as many do this one.
You could try googling to find a forum with parents that have similiar issues.

I wanted to give you a big hug!: grouphug:

My prayers will include you and your family.

I am new to this site.
I am a mother of a 15 year old with severe autism. I can totally relate to "Mimmy". My son has the capasity of an 18 mos. old and understand very little language. He is non verbal, OCD, Hyperactive, & needs 24 supervision. He is helpless as can be. Alot of people don't know about the other spectrum of autism that we face. His autism is so severe that he has little understanding of anything. We stay at home alot. He can tantrum, kick, scream, distructive and can hurt himself and others.
Stephen is 5'8 180lbs, He is VERY strong. Little can be done with Stephen.
We have tried soooo many therapies, diets & meds. He has beat up on the staff. His doctor visit are done from our car. Yes, the Doctor has to come to our car. Stephen will have tantrums in the waiting room and will refuse to leave.
He has now developed seizures.
I hate to sound like I am feeling sorry for myself. But I just wanted to let people know about the other spectrum of autism.
It is now summer and he is off school for three weeks now. He has been a real handful. Sometimes I don't know if I can do it. But I hang on . I try to think "One day at a Time"
If anyone shares my story PLEASE contact me evelynsmom@msn.com
So "Hang in there" is my thought of the day..............

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter