• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

help with shoes/clothes to pack for summer please

onceuponadream

<font color=0000cc>Keeping fingers crossed<br><fon
Always been to WDW in March so the summer touring is new to us. Do you all still wear socks and athletic shoes or do you have the kids wear sandals/flip flops. I would think the flip flops or sandals would rub blisters after so much walking. However, sandals would be cooler and easier on water rides. Also, do you put sleeveless shirts on your kids and sunscreen or keep them covered up (tlight colored t's with sleeves)? How about you 30 or 40 something moms and dads out there. Do you wear heavier/cotton shorts (my husband swears by his dockers) or do you wear the cooler nylon type? We want to pack comfortable clothes that don't take too much room and are easy to launder. what do you do/wear? Any help would be appreciated! :)

I take my usual summer wardrobe. Nothing special here. I do put short sleeve or sleeveless shirts on the kids, just use TONS of sunscreen. I can't imagine in all that humidity wearing something with long sleeves, it could stick to you!!! Docker shorts will be fine, it's all my DH wears. I do wear sandles as does my DH. We wear Tevas, and get the kids a pair of them as well. Sometimes I don't get them Tevas, I'll either get them a pair on similiar sandals at our local Stride Rite, or this year, I like the ones from LL Bean. There $25 and look pretty good!! Here is a picture:

M31439_Bright_Pink.jpg

We go for mostly loose fitting light color clothing. For my DD (4) I try to stay away from jean shorts or anything with a heavy waistband. I try to stay with elastic waists for her. We also tend to stay with Tshirts instead of sleevless for a little extra sun protection. As for DS he is 12 and has a mind of his own.

We tend to stick with sneakers/tennis shoes and socks for the parks and sandals for other things (shopping, DD, hotel area)
Flip flops are a no-no, they offer no support or protection.

As the mom I don't have as much of a selection as the rest of the family, I just try to dress loose and light. DH is a golfer and most of his shorts are 'breathable' whatever that means.

Have a great trip!

Don't forget a lightweight rain coat! It rains almost every afternoon, and it is nice for keeping track of the family if you don't all have the same ponchos as every other person in the park!

Bring at least two pairs of shoes! It can really rain and there is nothing more uncomfortable than having wet shoes for a couple of days. We usually alternate between tennies and sandles.

Thanks for all the great ideas! Wow even an illustration thanks to jel0511 :).

BounceyOne --glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks flip flops are a bad idea in the parks. I've read a lot of posts about people who like to where them because of the water rides..

The sandals to go with are sport sandals that are made for outdoor enthusiasts. They have plenty of arch support, but they are also just fine if they get wet. They usually cost a little more than everyday sandals, but ruining an expensive vacation with cheap shoes isn't a great use of your money, either. The ones we have are Nike Straprunners.

We were there last June and it was high 90's each day.
I dressed the kids in sleeveless with lots of sunscreen. Remember a hat for everyone! Sandals like the ones JelO511 posted worked great for us. I alternated between those and tennis shoes with ankle socks for kids.
Dockers shorts should be OK, but beware you will sweat through the heavier cotton shorts.....I don't want to get too graphic, but I don't sweat that much and at one point we all had to go back to the hotel because both DH and I looked a bit like we wet our pants!! :)
If you are worried about it - wear dark shorts that day :) :).
Loose fitting clothing worked best
Also you will probably have to pack two outfits for the kids each day. I found the ziplock thing (see other threads about ziploc packing) worked really great.
Don't forget to take a "squeeze-breeze" (water bottle with fan) It was a lifesaver for us - especially when standing in line in the hot sun.

we went in august a few years back.

my wardrobe consisted of shorts and those tank tops from express with the bras built in.

my husband wore t-shirts and shorts, as did my 6 yr old.

the baby (11mos old)wore one-pieces.

we all had two comfy pairs of shoes that we switched out at break time.

the kids had loads of sunscreen and hats.

thanks all :)! I'll make sure to bring 2 pairs of shoes/sandal each and 2 outfits/day. Glad we're driving as we'll have room for all the clothes :). gosh I hope it's not high 90's everyday...that may do us in....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter