Help with Universal First Time Trip Fall 2019

themillersdaughter

Earning My Ears
mid september we are looking to tack on some universal days to the front of our WDW trip. we are there for harry potter, harry potter, and um, more harry potter. i've read a few different itineraries, trip plans, etc...but i'm feeling quite whelmed, and i'm concerned i'm trapping myself in the too much/not enough time, especially as this is our first universal orlando trip.

presently my plan is:

sunday- arrive am/stay at disney/mnsshp pm
monday- post breakfast travel to universal/possibly do universal water park
tuesday- universal hp/park hop one direction
wednesay- universal hp/park hop opposite direction
thursday- in am check out universal/move over to disney for the week.

while i'm sure there will be other things we amble around to at universal (simpsons, jurassic) there aren't many other huge draws for us. we really are there for harry potter. currently we are planning on staying at a universal resort, but likely holding off on express passes until we see how the crowds are day of. we don't have any desire to do the horror nights.

is two full days sufficient? do we need that half day to be aimed towards the parks rather than the water park?

Don’t be overwhelmed you will have a wonderful time at Universal. Enjoy yourself. You will love the Potter Parks.
Universal does not require the hyper planning that WDW does.

If your there in mid September Wednesday the 18th and 25th will be HHN keep in mind that on those Wednesday’s Universal Studios will be closing at 5 pm to all who are not attending the separate ticketed event HHN.

So if your there on one of those Wednesday’s start out at Universal Studios and go back and forth betweeen the two parks as much as you want Keeping in mind that the Studios closes at 5 pm for HHN.

Stay onsite at one of the Resorts that offer Unlimited Express....RPR, PBH, HRH....this will help you make the most of the time you have there.

Read ruthies12 “Wizarding World Touring Plans and details “it’s a post a few down from your posting. It will give you some great details to look for at the Potter Parks.

If all you have is 2 days then you will have to make the best of it.

One suggestion is to skip the water park and enjoy 3 days at IOA and US and then take a break in the middle of your days and enjoy relaxing at your Resort pool and then head back to the parks again if you wish. That’s what is so nice about Universal and the your onsite Resorts they are so close you can do that.

If you have anymore questions ask away......someone will jump in and answer.

Last edited:
We bounce back and forth all day either by foot or train. Don’t keep your itinerary rigid, as it is now. If you decide you want to reride something in the other park, just hop on over. It’s basically one big park broken in 2- they’re super close.
Remember, even if the theme of a ride or land doesn’t quite catch your fancy, do it anyway. Surely there are some Disney lands or rides that on paper aren’t of interest but wind up being lots of fun. :)
Eta- I agree that unless you love water parks, I’d skip VB.

this is all excellent! thank you all so much!

while i do love the "over plan" nature of wdw, we usually end up using the plan as a guideline there and ditching pieces of it along the way. i'm treating universal a bit more like dl, where i know there are some specific things i want to do, a few things that we should hit at specific times, but is best done taken in stride and in the moment.

right now we have our eyes on cabana bay as the hotel. it seems like a fun resort, and it is at a price point that lets us add the express pass on the day of if needed. (i know it is included in the big 3, but currently they are running double the rate, and i haven't seen much of a reason to spend double the rack rate beyond the express pass- if i am missing something there, please please let me know- i am absolutely used to disney theming.)

it sounds like for sure we should skip the water park (i am not crazy about them, they can be a fun distraction if a day filler is needed is my feelings on them) and enjoy the parks.

this is all excellent! thank you all so much!

while i do love the "over plan" nature of wdw, we usually end up using the plan as a guideline there and ditching pieces of it along the way. i'm treating universal a bit more like dl, where i know there are some specific things i want to do, a few things that we should hit at specific times, but is best done taken in stride and in the moment.

right now we have our eyes on cabana bay as the hotel. it seems like a fun resort, and it is at a price point that lets us add the express pass on the day of if needed. (i know it is included in the big 3, but currently they are running double the rate, and i haven't seen much of a reason to spend double the rack rate beyond the express pass- if i am missing something there, please please let me know- i am absolutely used to disney theming.)

it sounds like for sure we should skip the water park (i am not crazy about them, they can be a fun distraction if a day filler is needed is my feelings on them) and enjoy the parks.
We plan to do similar with the express pass. We are going during a “regular”, but not peak, season, and my DH has his heart set on Cabana Bay and I think my DS will love it (he can roast s’mores for the first time!) We’re going for four days and if it’s nuts, we will buy EPs for our last day. It’s $300 either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter