Here is a Campsite Marker for DIS Members

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
Folks,

Lately we have had a lot of creative folks on the DIS Camping Board and I wanted to bump the idea of a DIS campsite sign. These were freely shared in the past and I wanted to pay it forward (the base template is not my creation).

The lime green Mickey head is a symbol of the entire DIS (and not just the Camping Board). Musket Mickey is an icon of Fort Wilderness. The two together are a beacon for fellow DIS members. I encourage you to make any type of sign using the template and instruction below and post it at/on your Fort campsite. It can be in a vehicle window, a camper window, on a sign outside, or get more creative.

I have found over the years that simply posting a green DIS sign and hoping for someone to loop through and see it pays few dividends. Not everyone loops every loop, not everyone is around the Fort every day, not everyone is a DISser. What I have discovered is that posting the sign helps fellow DISsers find you if/when you have exchanged Fort dates and find you will be there at the same time. I might say, "I have a Partial site (meaning 1500/2000) on such-and-such dates" but the sign makes it easy for folks to find me in those two loops. June 2013 edit: For the best chances of meeting fellow DISsers (as I say in a post below) either share your dates/site type/RV type on the forum or via PM. I did that and it worked quite well. Plus put your green sign out while at the Fort.

Start with the base template (new link as of 01/20/15):

You can work it up in MS Paint (in your Microsoft Accessories folder) or do special things with GIMP or Photoshop.

Opposite click the template above and "save picture as" to your hard drive.

Next you need to get a Disney-like font to write your name or whatever. Use Yahoo/Google to get the Waltograph font downloaded, extract it if needed, and double click the TrueType font.

You should see a button that says "Install Font". Click it to install. (Details follows on font installation)

Notice that the Disney font I have listed later on in this thread that comes off the 1001font website has a "zip" file name extension (waltograph.zip). Zip means it is a compressed file which has to be "unzipped" in order to be used.

So find the waltograph.zip file in one of your computer folders (Downloads?), opposite click on the file name and a list of options will pop up next to the cursor that includes "Extract all". Choose it. That will "unlock" the font from the compressed zip file and create a subfolder called waltograph. Copy any waltograph font files (waltograph42 and waltographUI) to the C: drive in the windows/fonts folder. Paste the fonts here.

Now when you go into Paint you should see that font as an option along with any others done the same way (may have to reboot, don't remember).

To use MS Paint, open the template you saved, click the "A" icon in the Tools menu, and select the Waltograph font and type your DIS name, hometown, etc. This is the trial-and-error stage. Go big with the font, bold if you want, caps if you want.

If you mess up, start over. When it's where you want it, save it as a new file name. Then print or get creative with it.

Here is my sign using Paint and the instructions above:

MickeyHead_ed3_300dpiregular_zpsdfc41859.jpg

I'm not that smart but if you run into a problem, post it here and I bet some smart DISsers can help you.

I'll be looking for your signs at the Fort. :disrocks:

Bama ED

PS - here are my recent Fort visits with my sign:

March 2012 trip site 1520 -

April 2013 trip site 127 -

March 2014 trip site 418 -

Jan 2015 trip site 218 -

Site 104 March 2016

Site 116 January 2017

Last edited:
Thanks... the green will compliment my big purple box at our site!

Thanks Ed for posting this! I will be sure to make one of these for our site in June/July.

Look for one of these July 4th week, it will be on my tent

Awesome! I know several dis-ers will be there The same time we will, it would be great to identify each other!

Thanks ya'll. Please do make your signs, put them out, and share dates (either here in the forum publicly or via PM privately) because it's always nice to say hello to a fellow DISser.

Last March on my trip I put my sign out and Hizzoner came by to say hi. A picture of my camper and my sign also showed up on the Interwebz and drew several comments so you know they are popular. I'm glad people enjoy it.

I actually had my site sign printed on a real estate wafer board type-of-sign, the type that uses the thin wire bracket to stick in the grass. It didn't cost much: here is a picture of my sign from my last trip report:

IMG_20120318_170020.jpg

You can barely see my Musket Mickey wooden sign under the front bunk. I have to think of a more prominent way to display it.

I liked having the sign like that because I also put it out whereever I camp. For example, at Gulf State Park here on the Alabama Gulf Coast, it recently was a conversation starter with a neighbor camper. A lot of visitors to WDW aren't aware that there is a campground on property so my neighbor (who camped often) learned about the Fort and our board. (Or people confuse the Fort with Wilderness Lodge).

Please do give it a try! :thumbsup2

Bama Ed

OK bama ed, I have to ask....I see 3 bicycle tires by the picnic table but no bikes.:confused3 Did you just bring the tires?:rotfl2: Inquiring minds want to know.:rolleyes1

OK bama ed, I have to ask....I see 3 bicycle tires by the picnic table but no bikes.:confused3 Did you just bring the tires?:rotfl2: Inquiring minds want to know.:rolleyes1

Leave it to a Cornhusker to miss the obvious.....:rolleyes2

Rajak, if you look carefully at the shadows on the drive just to the left of my DIS sign, you can see the shadow of one of the bikes that were leaned against the car during trailer setup. <sheesh>

....just kidding.... :rotfl:

But seriously,

Are you a college football fan? How does Nebraska look this spring? What kind of team will Bo have in the fall? Bama's getting ready to try to make it 4 out of 5. We shall see.

iconrolltide-1_zpsd15e3d8e.png
flag-Bama_zpse80a0232.gif

And hey, Gary and Verne are ready to call another Texas A&M-Bama game this fall:

VerneampGary_zpsfec0f03b.gif

Bama ED

I see. You know us up here, a little slow right after winter until the weather warms......like the bears in hibernation:rotfl2: I think the offense is going to be good, the defense......I don't know,:confused3going to be a lot of young players and someone is going to have to step up. Did you see our secret weapon in the spring game? Going to be a good football season again.:banana::banana:

Bama Ed
thanks for posting the lime green mickey...next time I camp at the Fort I'll be sure to put mine out.
Peach

I will definitely getting this all set up for our trip Christmas week. I actually think we have a way to secure it in the ground or around the camper...I will have to work on that one...LOL!!!

I see. You know us up here, a little slow right after winter until the weather warms......like the bears in hibernation:rotfl2: I think the offense is going to be good, the defense......I don't know,:confused3going to be a lot of young players and someone is going to have to step up. Did you see our secret weapon in the spring game? Going to be a good football season again.:banana::banana:

I DID see your secret weapon. :banana:

Move over, Johnny Football. Here comes Jack Hoffman! :cheer2:

That was a very nice thing for the team to do.

Bama Ed
thanks for posting the lime green mickey...next time I camp at the Fort I'll be sure to put mine out.
Peach

Thanks Disneypeach. I hope folks show their sign in their Trip Reports too.

I will definitely getting this all set up for our trip Christmas week. I actually think we have a way to secure it in the ground or around the camper...I will have to work on that one...LOL!!!

Yes you will Grump and I hope folks post pictures of their signs as they visit between now and then to give you some ideas. :idea:

here is mine but i will using yours as well bama

I remember when you posted a picture of that sign, Mouse14. I like the chin falling below the circle. Kinda gives it a 2-1/2 Dimensional look.

Bama Ed

Yes you will Grump and I hope folks post pictures of their signs as they visit between now and then to give you some ideas. :idea:

I am really hoping that I can get mine done soon so I can get it posted on here.

Thank you Bama ED for the DIS Sign. My husband is just finishing a Mickey lamp post for our first camping trip to Disney. Now I will attach a green Mickey sign to our post. We arrive May 25, 2013!!! Can't wait!!

Thank you Bama ED for the DIS Sign. My husband is just finishing a Mickey lamp post for our first camping trip to Disney. Now I will attach a green Mickey sign to our post. We arrive May 25, 2013!!! Can't wait!!

Good for you pupbug. I have seen many of the Mickey lamp posts here at the Fort. Your sign will be a nice marker too. Pay attention to the board and exchange your dates with other DISsers who might be here at the same time.

For example, I said I'd be in a popup, requested loop 100, and would have my green DIS sign out. And DISsers have found me. And it's nice to meet other campers.

Have a great trip. :wizard:

Bama Ed

Bama Ed I will be at the Fort June 15-22. I was thinking of requesting loop 100. What do you think of it?

Archnandrea

Thanks for the template. I wont be at the Fort but I will post it on my door at the Poly and POR in a few weeks. We do similar stuff over on the cruises called "Fish Extenders." My wife and I have a DIS green cruise line logo with our DisBoards names etc that we post on our doors and then have meets and events around the ships. Good way for us DIS Fanatics to get together and recognize each other. Hopefully when we get back south we'll have a camper, a musket mickey sign, and a DIS green yard sign.

Clint

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!