Here now and my expectations didn't always match up.

JerseyJanice

A Disboards original...
First off, Flights of Passage was a lot more intense than I expected. I am glad that I experienced it, but I don't think it's for me. The drops were horrible, but I dislike drops on a ride. I don't know how they simulated them exactly since I don't think that you actually drop. But the sensation in my stomach of dropping was there full force. I felt pretty sick during the ride and was glad when it ended.

On the other hand, Once Upon a Time is a fantastic show. Far bigger and better than I expected with more effects.

I loved the Navi River ride; it exceeded my expectations. Very beautiful with interesting effects. Pandora at night wasn't as colorful as I expected, but I really enjoyed my food from Satuli Canteen.

I'm sorry the drops bothered you, but you just made me even more excited to ride it! We aren't going until late February, but I'm a total thrill seeker so I can't wait. Were the glasses really big? I have a tiny head so I'm little worried I'm going to have to hold on to them the whole time.

I'm sorry the drops bothered you, but you just made me even more excited to ride it! We aren't going until late February, but I'm a total thrill seeker so I can't wait. Were the glasses really big? I have a tiny head so I'm little worried I'm going to have to hold on to them the whole time.

I would say that FOP is a thrill seeker's attraction. I have heard it compared to Soarin, but IMO Soarin' is like riding in a swing. FOP is way wilder. The glasses are on the large side, but they stayed on my smallish head.

Glad to hear someone loves the Na'vi River ride. Ever since Pandora opened, it's been nothing but non-stop raves for FOP. I'm looking forward to both (next month!)

What's Once Upon a Time? I thought the new fireworks show was called Happily Ever After?

Glad to hear someone loves the Na'vi River ride. Ever since Pandora opened, it's been nothing but non-stop raves for FOP. I'm looking forward to both (next month!)

What's Once Upon a Time? I thought the new fireworks show was called Happily Ever After?

Once Upon A Time is an additional projection show normally following HEA by about half an hour I think? We skipped it on our past trip. HEA was incredible though, as was Flight of Passage. In my opinion Na’vi River Journey is a major failure of a Disney ride. It’s nice, and the animatronics were impressive but there’s no overarching story. Disney rides are always a step above because you’re playing out a part in a story, or there’s some other narrative. Shortly put you have a reason to be on the ride, with NRJ it’s just kind of there. No obvious backstory, no narrative, no major event, it’s just there. It get more like a themed area to explore than a ride. I’m disappointed frankly, with such a rich fantasy world and those effects they couldn’t come up wth a storyline?

Matt

I'll reserve judgement until I actually ride it, but not every Disney ride has an actual story. It's really much more about experience than story, and usually, any sort of narrative is really just a flimsy pretext to string together a series of experiences. Walt understood that intuitively; only the Fantasyland rides had some kind of story, because they were based on his animation features.

My family also loved the Navi River ride. It's beautiful and relaxing. As a fan of the movie the ride is exactly what I wanted - a journey through the stunning world of Pandora. Also remember it's a dark ride! It's pretty much the only kid ride at AK, and the two kids in our party (2 and 3.5) absolutely loved it! The 3.5 year old kept singing the song long after we got back home.

I think OP really means HEA, not Once Upon a Time, but I might be wrong. We personally really didn't like Once Upon a Time...it was Disney trying out the technology for HEA and it looks it. Now that HEA is here Once Upon a Time seemed to us to be superfluous and kind of a mess...

I'm with Craig on FOP. It is good but Spider-Man and Gringotts are better. There is nothing new or innovative about FOP. There have been attractions like that forever and arcade games like it too. It is really well done but in my mind only highlights the unimaginative and unrealistic 'world of Avatar'. It is just a bunch of extremes from our own flora and fauna mashed together. Honestly all those rides and Pandora just made my sad for what could have been if Joe Rohde could have created The Beastly Kingdom.

Once Upon a Time is a projection show on the Castle, which I expected to be similar to Celebrate The Magic. It was sort of like HEA Lite--shorter and with much less fireworks than HEA, but dazzling nonetheless.

I agree with @Lesverts about Pandora not being all that. There isn't much to do there. Only two attractions--FOP which I doubt I will ride again and the river ride, which I did really enjoy and would go on again. There's a gift shop, of course, and a quick service restaurant which I would eat at again.

But that's it. It is smaller than I expected. The night time lights and effects didn't wow me as much as I expected. I can't say I felt like it was an immersive environment, more like foliage with fancy lighting. I think the area could use a show.

One other thing that was better than I expected is the Pixar movie festival in Epcot. It's no headliner, but it is cute and entertaining.

Once Upon a Time is a projection show on the Castle, which I expected to be similar to Celebrate The Magic. It was sort of like HEA Lite--shorter and with much less fireworks than HEA, but dazzling nonetheless.

I agree with @Lesverts about Pandora not being all that. There isn't much to do there. Only two attractions--FOP which I doubt I will ride again and the river ride, which I did really enjoy and would go on again. There's a gift shop, of course, and a quick service restaurant which I would eat at again.

But that's it. It is smaller than I expected. The night time lights and effects didn't wow me as much as I expected. I can't say I felt like it was an immersive environment, more like foliage with fancy lighting. I think the area could use a show.

One other thing that was better than I expected is the Pixar movie festival in Epcot. It's no headliner, but it is cute and entertaining.
There is a small (very small) show, the drum circle.

Did you feel the drops with your eyes open or closed? Sorry, but it makes a difference to me! Lol. If I feel like the visual is going to make things feel too intense, I am fine with closing my eyes and getting myself stabilised, but if the feeling is an actual physical feeling, then I may have a problem....lol

I get motion sickness pretty easily and felt fine when closing my eyes on the "drops". I did have my eyes closed roughly 50% of the ride but still worth it as it was unique and well done.

I get motion sickness pretty easily and felt fine when closing my eyes on the "drops". I did have my eyes closed roughly 50% of the ride but still worth it as it was unique and well done.
I already figured my first time riding it I would have my eyes closed quite a bit lol But that is fine with me lol. I just want to feel assured that I won't "feel" it if I have them closed. My first time riding Soarin having my eyes closed didnt help the fear too much because I couldn't get over the fact that we were suspended several feet in the air.

What age for a child for FOP? My daughter is tall enough but only 6. I don't want to lose my FP but I don't want to choose the wrong ride. Should I switch to river?

Your comments about FOP & Pandora are interesting to me. I've read so many comments from people who think FOP is the best attraction on property and want to spend a lot of time just wandering around the land. I'll be seeing it later in the Fall, but I'm really lukewarm on the whole thing. Avatar has been on cable quite a bit and I've watched the movie a couple more times...still just "meh" for me.

I absolutely hate drops, like I still somewhat have to brace for the drop in Pirates, but I found Flight of Passage to be one of the most awesome feelings and greatest rides around. I rode Flight of Passage 4 times in a week timespan and I had a huge smile on my face during the entire ride and the time afterwards.

Though I’m not a fan of the Avatar movie, I think that the river ride sounds relaxing and beautiful. I don’t imagine it as a story- more of a boat ride thru Avatarland. I look forward to seeing it someday.

I would say that FOP is a thrill seeker's attraction. I have heard it compared to Soarin, but IMO Soarin' is like riding in a swing. FOP is way wilder. The glasses are on the large side, but they stayed on my smallish head.

I agree with you about Soarin'. I didn't feel any thrill from that at all. I had heard such great things about it, but honestly I really wasn't very entertained by it. I would much rather ride Thunder Mountain over and over! I hope the glasses are alright on my head. I have to wear kid sized glasses every day because my head is so small.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter