Here Now! Rider Switch Update!

This is why I never saw RS as a big advantage. It takes twice as long to ride a ride when you have to swap than it does to all ride together. People said it was unfair of us to save them and use them later because it was "gaming the system," but in reality we were just trying to make the most of a long day where we had to wait twice to ride a ride. It's not like you get back on immediately. You still have to wait in the FP line. So your wait is double what it could have been. Ahhh...one day my kids will all be big. A blessing and a curse. Oldest going to second grade in the morning.
Yes. One time we had aunties on the trip so DH & I saved a rider swap, put the kids to bed. Came back for dinner at BB & rode an e ticket.

Thanks for the updates!

Has anyone ever tried going thru standby or fast pass line with the child that cannot ride and waiting till the first party returns from riding and literally passing the child to them and then getting on the ride right away? Just wondering if this is possible when there's a time crunch....
As far as I know they will not let under height children in the line at all.

Thanks for the updates!

Has anyone ever tried going thru standby or fast pass line with the child that cannot ride and waiting till the first party returns from riding and literally passing the child to them and then getting on the ride right away? Just wondering if this is possible when there's a time crunch....

I've seen it done for Goofy's sky school, even in the single rider line! Two women and a younger kid. One went through and the other stayed with the kid in the SR line, letting people go in front of her. When the first one was finished, she came back around to the SR and grabbed the kid while the second woman went on the ride. But I think that was a situation with a ride that wasn't that long and easy to get to the ride entrance from the exit.

I swear I have seen a similar circumstance with RSR. Family went through the line and then one parent and kid stayed next to the chicken entrance (near the FP/Standby merge point). After the rest of her party went on the ride, they came out the exit and one adult backtracked and picked up the kid. The CM then let the last adult get into line at that point. I don't think she took anyone else with her though (and she may have instead gone into the single rider line).

But again, I think this was very subjective and not necessarily with the official Disney rules. Just depends on the CM working at that time.

So just to be clear, if you have a child who is under height requirement, that child cannot be in the lineup at all?
My understanding was that the whole family got in the line, and then one parent requested a rider swap. After the first part of the family rides, the other parent can hop on to take the other parent who already rode's place. So if this isn't the case, how do you get the ride swap? At the start of the line? And it works more like a FP then.

Man I have a lot to learn before our trip next month!

Thanks for the updates!

My understanding is children who are not tall enough to ride are not allowed in the Stand-By or FP line, period. They measure out front and refuse entry to either line in my experience.

My understanding is children who are not tall enough to ride are not allowed in the Stand-By or FP line, period. They measure out front and refuse entry to either line in my experience.

You are correct. They are not allowed in the line. CMs have made exceptions in the past for very slow days to switch at loading, but not anymore. The second parent riding (and up to 2 other guests) will get their ticket scanned at the first fastpass checkpoint and the rider swap is then added onto their ticket. They wait outside the ride for parent 1 to be done with the ride.

Been home for a bit and had some time to reflect on our experiences with RS:

1. I understand shutting out the abusers. We ALWAYS make sure to have our little one visible to the CM. If they have not been checking, then there was no official Disney policy (or CMs were not following it) to have "eyes" on the non-rider before handing out a RS, and that is not my family's fault. We went out of our way to do it the right way every time. Perhaps they could've stopped abusers by simply having a clear CM policy?

2. That said, as SOCALMouseMommy pointed out above, the electronic RS really will remove the abusers. No more floating RS tickets to resurface days, weeks, or months later.

3. The new policy says you may only hold ONE valid RS pass at a time. So WHY the time limit??????? Think about it, I can only hold one RS. I can't go collecting a bunch of RS passes and come back at night and ride to my heart's content. Why must I be bound to absolutely use the one RS I'm allowed to hold within one hour or lose it forever? I think we should be allowed one valid RS at a time, but it should be good until park close. If I'm able to use it right away (what I prefer!) awesome. If life and kids takes us every which way making it hard to cycle back until the evening, then I still get my chance to RS. How much of a problem could that create? Unless I'm missing something, this seems like a good compromise.

Thoughts?

4. And of course, Disney PLEASE figure out a formula/rule/standard/what-have-you for determining RS return times! That inconsistency was beyond frustrating and really unfair. At Screamin' I was given a 5 minute RS return one day and the next day it was 25 minutes (the stand by line) before I could return to RS! Is the policy arbitrary then? Up to the CM at the moment? They need to nail that one down because it felt very subjective...like did I not wear enough deodorant that day, or something?!? LOL:rotfl2:

You are correct. They are not allowed in the line. CMs have made exceptions in the past for very slow days to switch at loading, but not anymore. The second parent riding (and up to 2 other guests) will get their ticket scanned at the first fastpass checkpoint and the rider swap is then added onto their ticket. They wait outside the ride for parent 1 to be done with the ride.
How far in is the checkpoint? How do 2nd parent and short kid get out of line?

How far in is the checkpoint? How do 2nd parent and short kid get out of line?
It's the spot where you used to flash your FP to CM to check the time. At most the "line" before the checkpoint is a few feet. Sometimes they get backed up, like when Star Tours or Soarin sometimes get backed up.

To clarify, that's when using FP. There are some rides with height requirements that don't use FP, and RS is also given to standby line. So far all of the scenarios in this thread have only been with FP.

Last edited:
So just to be clear, if you have a child who is under height requirement, that child cannot be in the lineup at all?
My understanding was that the whole family got in the line, and then one parent requested a rider swap. After the first part of the family rides, the other parent can hop on to take the other parent who already rode's place. So if this isn't the case, how do you get the ride swap? At the start of the line? And it works more like a FP then.

Man I have a lot to learn before our trip next month!

Yes, you are exactly right. It is at the start of the line and it works just like a FP now. If you have FP already it is at the first checkpoint at the start of the FP line. It's really not a bid deal unless the FP line is backed up (which happened to us several times) because then you have to all wait just to get to the first checkpoint to get RS added on to your ticket. That happens mostly if a ride has broken down earlier, or if there are people having problems scanning in their FP up ahead of you which backs up the line. If there is no wait at the checkpoint or if the ride is only Standby, it just takes a couple of minutes to get RS added on and then you are on your way.

I got back from our trip couple days ago and I'll share my experience.

1. Rider Switch now has return times & 1 hr window just like Fastpass.

2. People from group 1 CAN ride again using RS and you can bring up to 2 people with you (total 3) just like how it was before.

3. You CAN obtain more than 1 RS at a time. I had Soarin', RSR and GRR Rider Switch passes and had no problem using them all.

4. All RSs are now entered through the Fastpass entrances. I remember before it went digital, some rides like Space Mountain were entered through the exit if you had RS, but that's not the case anymore. Just keep in mind, FP entrances for rides like Matterhorn, Space Mountain and Indy can get REALLY long. We waited 10-15 min to the first check point of Matterhorn where you scan your RS/FP for the first time.

5. They "officially" allow you to use your FP/RS up to 5mins early (some CMs let us in 12 mins early despite the official rule) but if you have "multiple experiences" passes(I'll talk about this in a bit), do not use your FP/RS even a minute earlier than the exact return time. The system uses the multiple experiences pass instead of the RS which isn't good because

6. "Multiple Experiences" pass is a FP that's good to use anytime of the day you obtained it, and any rides with a few exceptions (DLP: Space Mountain, Peterpan, DCA: GotG, Some CMs told me RSR isn't part of ME pass but it appeared on mine and I used it at RSR with no problem). CMs gave out ME passes when rides broke down while you're in line, or you have a fastpass for the ride that broke down then it changes to ME pass automatically. And when I say it's good for any rides, it's including the rides that don't have fastpass, like Fantasy Faire, Alice in Wonderland and others.

7. Here's my thought on "abusers". The new system will surely stop people from using RS ANYTIME they want. However, when I was there, more than half of the CMs I talked to didn't even check if there was a group 2. I asked for RS and they just gave it to me because they were too busy instructing people on how to use the new digital fastpass system. Like I mentioned above, some rides' fastpass lines can get long and a lot of people didn't know how to scan their tickets right so CMs were busy with that.

My thought on the new RS is that it's not too bad after all but it requires a lot (more) of planning!! Sometimes, you have awkward 20 min gap between the time the group 1 is finished with the ride and your RS return time starts, that's too short to get in line for another ride around it but too long to just sit around and wait. So you gotta be creative with how to utilize your time, because time is gold, especially in Disneyland ;)

Side note: I do not recommend buying Maxpasses for DCA, buy it for DLR instead. I did it just so that I don't have to wait in line to get FPs for RSR and GotG. It wasn't worth it. You could easily get those FPs while waiting for Group 1 to be finished with rides. There aren't that many Fastpass rides at DCA and by 1pm, GotG and RSR FP is gone and you're left with very limited choices. Just not worth it.

*Attached file is a screenshot of ME pass and RS pass. So as you can see Multiple Experiences doesn't have return time as long it's used within that day, where Soarin has a return time. Also although it says Redeem "Fastpass" on Soarin', it's actually RS. They aren't any differences on the app but CM can differentiate on their devices. I know this because the incident mentioned in #5 happened and I had to go to the guest service to get my ME pass back and the CM THOROUGHLY checked what kind of passes we used at what rides lol

Attachments

• IMG_5004.PNG
    IMG_5004.PNG
    223.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
l

My thought on the new RS is that it's not too bad after all but it requires a lot (more) of planning!! Sometimes, you have awkward 20 min gap between the time the group 1 is finished with the ride and your RS return time starts, that's too short to get in line for another ride around it but too long to just sit around and wait. So you gotta be creative with how to utilize your time, because time is gold, especially in Disneyland ;)

Thank you. Very informative!

I hope they work out that "awkward" gap. 20 min (plus the wait for parent 1 and 2) is a lot more to wait if you have a toddler/baby in tow. I would at least like to be able to immediate swap no matter what.

Thank you. Very informative!

I hope they work out that "awkward" gap. 20 min (plus the wait for parent 1 and 2) is a lot more to wait if you have a toddler/baby in tow. I would at least like to be able to immediate swap no matter what.

Most rides had only about 5min gap which worked out fine. Even the popular ride RSR had almost instant switch time. But the weird thing is we had 60min gap on STAR TOURS on our last day. Like what?? Why Star Tours? Lol

I got back from our trip couple days ago and I'll share my experience.

6. "Multiple Experiences" pass is a FP that's good to use anytime of the day you obtained it, and any rides with a few exceptions (DLP: Space Mountain, Peterpan, DCA: GotG, Some CMs told me RSR isn't part of ME pass but it appeared on mine and I used it at RSR with no problem). CMs gave out ME passes when rides broke down while you're in line, or you have a fastpass for the ride that broke down then it changes to ME pass automatically. And when I say it's good for any rides, it's including the rides that don't have fastpass, like Fantasy Faire, Alice in Wonderland and others.

Can you explain more about how a ME pass is used on a ride without a fast pass? I've never heard that before. I'm imagining a nightmare at Peter Pan if hundreds of people show up with a ME pass.

Can you explain more about how a ME pass is used on a ride without a fast pass? I've never heard that before. I'm imagining a nightmare at Peter Pan if hundreds of people show up with a ME pass.

Peter Pan is one of the few rides that don't accept ME pass. I personally didn't use ME pass on rides that don't have FP, but I've seen other people using it at Fantasy Faire. They just came and showed the ME pass on their phone to the CM, the CM scanned it with a little hand held device (the same one they use it to give out RS/ME passes) and made them wait on the side then let them in when the door opened for the next group. I didn't know you can use ME pass on attractions that don't have Fastpass until then, so I looked on the app to see what attractions were available with ME pass and sure enough, it showed almost all attractions excluding Peter Pan and Space Mountain. We got our first ME pass when Indy broke down and I thought the CM was making a mistake when he said "it's good for any rides except Space Mountain and Peter Pan" and I was thinking "Peter Pan doesn't even have a fastpass scanner...". If I knew sooner, I would've used it for Nemo or something :(

Last edited:
We used to be excited when we were on rides that broke down and we got the old paper "anytime ride" passes to make up for it. We always went straight to Peter Pan! This was our go-to for yeaaaaars.

I'm actually bummed to hear that they've taken that option off the table. Oh well. Hadn't happened in quite awhile anyway.

Sad to hear that the swap process has changed on Space Mountain! Going through the exit was such a time saver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter