Here's a good idea!

TXMommy

DVC Owner
IMHO, DDE holders don't have much incentive to purchase the DDP, as most have found that they spend much less using just their DDE card. HOWEVER, if Disney would offer the 20% DDE discount off the DDP, THAT would be an incintive! I know I would go for it! :thumbsup2

I am not sure I understand how you would save more with the DDE vs. the DDP I think the dining plan is a steal at 38 per day for the dining plan, that is more then what more TS dinners cost. On top of that you also get CS and snack. I agree that the DDE is a great way to save money but I am not sure I understand how it would save more? I am going to do the math and see if it works for me. But I would love if disney gave the 20% discount on the DDP but I do not think that it would ever happen. I for one think the DP is a steal for what you get! I am so happy they offered it to DVC members!

Well, I guess I'm not exactly comparing apples to apples - for all the food you get on the DDP, the cost may not be that different. But on our trip last week there were 5 of us (3 adults, DD-12, who by Disney standards is an adult, and DS-9). Had we purchased the DDP for our 6-night stay, it would have cost $977.70. Using our DDE, we only spent about $750 on meals. Granted, we did not order appetizers and desserts at all our TS meals (tho we did occasionally indulge in dessert), and other than snacks it worked out to 7 TS meals each (8 if you consider our dinner at Cindy's would have counted for 2 TS credits) and only 3 CS meals (we ate breakfasts and a lunch or 2 in our villa) but we all had plenty of food. So FOR US, the DDE was a better deal than the DDP would have been. We would have wasted food using the DDP. That may not be the case for everyone.

HOWEVER, if I got a 20% DDE discount on the DDP, it would have only cost us $782.16. THAT would have been worth it (tho we still would have had food leftover because none of us would have eaten that much).

I know Disney will not offer this - I just think it would be cool if they did.

We bought the DDE for our last trip because as DVC members, we could not get the DDP (at that time). We still have the valid DDE card, so I did my homework quite carefully.

The DDP won't save me much over what the DDE would do. However, we are buying the DDP anyhow for the convenience factor. DD will basically be able to order whatever she wants without mom cringing at the prices. Sorry, I know myself, and I know how my DD likes to order. She will want an appetizer, a steak or shrimp or lobster, and a dessert. She easily spends twice as much in a restaurant as I do. With the DDP, it is all paid for in advance and I will enjoy my vacation more. We will at least "break even."

And....I got my $ worth out of the DDE on the previous trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter