Hero, or fool?

Was this man a hero or a fool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think if I were driving by and saw the little bunny panicking I would probably have stopped and tried to do something too. I wouldn't have thought about me possibly needing rescued (he didn't run into the fire) or that she may have babies. I would have been in the 'here and now' only thinking about helping him/her. I don't think I could have driven by and not done anything. Sure we are all level headed right now sitting behind our keyboards but in the heat of the moment...?
Maybe it comes from seeing small wild animals out and about on the highways and roads all my life but honestly, I wouldn’t have given it a second thought other than I hope he/she makes it. We don’t know it was panicking. For all we know the guy caused it to panic. Having my grandfather, uncles and cousins doing Search and Rescue for decades the possibility of needing to be rescued would have been front and center in my mind. A small child or another human being? Absolutely would do everything I could. A wild animal that belongs out there? I couldn’t see myself doing that. I’m not saying the guy’s heart wasn’t in the right place but IMO it was foolish.

Rabbits have figured out how to survive forest fires and wildfires for thousands of years without us crazy humans worrying about them... We could have easily taken Man out of Bambi and still been able to illustrate the cycle of Nature just fine...

According to what I've read, there were two rabbits. One was white, and one was white with black spots. They were not "wildlife" but rather domestic (or pet) rabbits that were either intentionally or unintentionally set loose by their owner. Domestic rabbits cannot survive very long in the wild. Pulling over to save these pets was no different than saving a cat or dog that was in danger.

Further, we're talking about a grown man who made the choice to stop and get out of the car. He was able to grab one rabbit (which I've read is currently doing well at a rescue shelter), and shoo the other one away from the flames. If this man felt that he was far enough from the flames to be safe, it's not up to anyone to judge whether he was being stupid. I think he did a wonderful thing.

According to what I've read, there were two rabbits. One was white, and one was white with black spots. They were not "wildlife" but rather domestic (or pet) rabbits that were either intentionally or unintentionally set loose by their owner. Domestic rabbits cannot survive very long in the wild. Pulling over to save these pets was no different than saving a cat or dog that was in danger.

Further, we're talking about a grown man who made the choice to stop and get out of the car. He was able to grab one rabbit (which I've read is currently doing well at a rescue shelter), and shoo the other one away from the flames. If this man felt that he was far enough from the flames to be safe, it's not up to anyone to judge whether he was being stupid. I think he did a wonderful thing.

Your username checks out! lol

I think it was sweet. However, you're supposed to leave wildlife alone.

ETA I just read LuvBunnies post - so definitely sweet then.

I did not realize pet when I voted

How would this guy have known they were domestic if he were driving by? And if he was far enough from the flames to not be at risk then neither were the rabbits. As stated up thread fire can turn on a dime. Unless he’s an experienced firefighter it’s foolish to make that kind of call. IMO it’s dangerous to make this guy out to be some kind of hero. The next person might not be so lucky.

and if the wind turned someone else's husband/father/wife/mother would have to risk their life to save him. If he had a family & the flame turned would they say - Gee at least he died trying to save a rabbit. o_Oo_O It was an extremely selfish act.

Where are you reading the rabbit was domesticated?

I read it on a Facebook group for rabbit owners. However, I just heard from my sister that it was an imposter. The person who actually rescued the rabbit did not want to come forward and speak publically. So some other guy came forward, hoping for his 15 minutes of fame. The rabbit was, in fact, a wild rabbit. It was turned over to a wildlife center and is being cared for.

I still stand by my opinion that rescuing the rabbit was the right thing to do.

and if the wind turned someone else's husband/father/wife/mother would have to risk their life to save him. If he had a family & the flame turned would they say - Gee at least he died trying to save a rabbit. o_Oo_O It was an extremely selfish act.
Selfish??? Perhaps it was impulsive & he did what he thought was right at the time. I’m not sure that it was the right decision given the risks. But, I think it’s heart-warming to see a person who saw a living thing struggling & panicking & felt compassion enough that made him spring into action. I’m not sure how that’s selfish.

My DS is a firefighter. I have preached and preached to him that no animal is worth risking your life for. No one’s cat/dog/hamster/fish etc. I don’t know how he would respond if he was faced with this situation but I would hope he wouldn’t put himself and others in danger rescuing an animal. I know this person wasn’t a firefighter though.

I voted fool. I love animals but won't risk my life for them.

Depends on the animal. Rabbit, no chance. But let's say it was my dog and I thought I had a decent chance to save him, I absolutely would. My dog would try to save me too, only fair that I do the same.

I have more respect for the people who got burned trying to rescue horses in the San Diego fire. One of rescuers has 2nd and 3rd degree burns and is a medically-induced coma.

Selfish??? Perhaps it was impulsive & he did what he thought was right at the time. I’m not sure that it was the right decision given the risks. But, I think it’s heart-warming to see a person who saw a living thing struggling & panicking & felt compassion enough that made him spring into action. I’m not sure how that’s selfish.

It's selfish because he could have been putting his rescuers also in danger if the wind had turned. People often don't think about anyone else when they act impulsively.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter