He's Making Googly Eyes at Me! A Nov '16 TR - update 5/23 Arriving at DL!

emilyhuff

DIS Veteran
Hello Everyone! I am a long time lurker of these boards and am excited to announce that our first ever trip to Disneyland together is in the works!!! I figured this is the best trip to start my first ever PTR because I will need a lot of advice!

Who is "our" you ask! Me - Emily and DBF - Wonks, of course!

A few things to note - we are WDW people, both born and raised! We are from Pennsylvania and were fortunate to go often as children - Wonk's grandmother lived in FL and they would visit WDW while visiting her and my grandparents were generous enough to take my entire family 1 to 2 times per year!

Also to note, we are Penn State fanatics (as if you couldn't tell:upsidedow), we both graduated from there!

Anyways - on with the introductions!

This is Wonks. I am going to go ahead and say his favorite thing in the 'world' is the Schofferhofer grapefruit beer that is on tap in the Germany Pavilion at EPCOT!

It was pretty hard to convince him to fly across the US from PHL to LAX (5.5 hour flight!) but alas, I have won! It took some extra convincing, but I used a weak spot... His family is into racing horses and since there are a few great tracks out in LA, I told him we could check those out on our trip as well and his eyes lit right up(mwahaha). He has always expressed an interest in checking out Disneyland too and now all of his dreams are coming true! Sidenote: the furthest Wonks has ever been on a plane is to Dallas, 3.5 hours, so I am nervous about this 5.5 hour flight for him!

Here are some of his favorites (maybe some will change after Disneyland!)
Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Ride: Splash Mountain
Favorite Character: B'rer Rabbit (see above:))
Favorite Resort: Port Orleans Riverside
Favorite WDW Food: Dole Whip Float - must be Vanilla Soft Serve with Pineapple Juice!
Favorite WDW Drink: Schofferhofer Grapefruit Beer from Germany Pavilion

This is me, Emily. This picture is from my first and only visit to Disneyland where my friend and I attended the 24 hour event in 2013! I have been to LAX quite a few times since 2012 since one of my childhood friends moved there after college. I loved hiking the Hollywood sign trail, eating at In n Out, visiting the wineries and dipping my toes in the Pacific Ocean. I can't wait to 'show' Wonks around.

Here are some of my favorites
Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Ride: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (never got to go on in DL, it was closed for refurb:mad:)
Favorite Character: Minnie Mouse
Favorite Resort: Port Orleans Riverside
Favorite WDW Food: Cheese soup from Canada or ANY breakfast buffet (the real way to my heart :lovestruc)
Favorite WDW Drink: Banana Cabana from Hollywood Studios or any resort pool bar!

I hope that you will join me on our planning adventure!!!

Next Post: When we're going!

Last edited:

WHEN WE'RE GOING!

Welcome back to those of you who are following along!

After much discussion about the dates of travel, as we usually go to WDW in October, there were so many other things we had to factor into this trip... Racetrack seasons, best time to visit DL, car rental prices. We finally came up with something and I think it will *hopefully* work out perfectly!

Dates: Saturday November 5th through Sunday November 12th

Now, not all of these days will be spent in Disneyland but I am excited to just be on vacation for an entire week!!!

Our week looks like this so far, I will go into more detail over the next few months, especially once park hours are released!

Saturday 11/5 - Arrive at LAX around 9:15pm, pickup luggage and rental car, head to hotel (TBD) near Santa Anita racetrack, which from the airport looks about an hours drive, hopefully we can stay awake!

Sunday 11/6 - Up and out early to hit Santa Anita by 8:15am to *hopefully* get on the Seabiscuit tour. This is the day after the Breeder's Cup so I am hoping it isn't insanely crowded... Then in the afternoon, meet up with my childhood friend, grab some In n Out, tour Hollywood (by car) and then head to DISNEYLAND! Once we arrive, we will check into the Park Vue Inn (but more on that later!)

Monday through Thursday 11/7 - 11/10 - we have four day park hopper tickets to use! One of these days will include a Character Breakfast at the Plaza Inn, but that is the only set thing we really have in mind, besides visiting the cove bar too!

Friday 11/11 - Check out of Park Vue early in order to make it down to Del Mar Racetrack for Opening Day! Later in the evening, check into a hotel (TBD) either in Del Mar or somewhere up PCH towards the airport.

Saturday 11/12 - Check out of hotel (TBD) and drive so sadly up the coast to LAX for our 1:30pm flight home.

Thanks again for following along! I am open to all touring suggestions and recommendations, especially for all Disney related things!

Next Post: Life Update!

Last edited:
I am a long time lurker and have been debating doing a PTR for my sister trip in December! I look forward to seeing more from your PTR!

I am a newbie lurker, but I think you just inspired me to write my first PTR. I'm a WDW girl myself, but am going to be in California on my honeymoon from Oct 31 - Nov 11. We're planning on stopping in Disneyland and DCA for one full day somewhere in the middle! My fiancé is just about the furthest thing from a Disney fan as you can get (he was deprived as a child!) and I'm hoping to convert him, or at the very least show him a great time on our Disney day! I'll be following your PTR for sure :)

Following along. popcorn:: I'll be there the week after you, arriving on the 12th.

Welcome!!!! Do you have a PTR??? I love reading Disneyland PTR's because I am so unfamiliar!!!

I am a long time lurker and have been debating doing a PTR for my sister trip in December! I look forward to seeing more from your PTR!

You definitely should do a PTR! I would for sure follow along!

I am a newbie lurker, but I think you just inspired me to write my first PTR. I'm a WDW girl myself, but am going to be in California on my honeymoon from Oct 31 - Nov 11. We're planning on stopping in Disneyland and DCA for one full day somewhere in the middle! My fiancé is just about the furthest thing from a Disney fan as you can get (he was deprived as a child!) and I'm hoping to convert him, or at the very least show him a great time on our Disney day! I'll be following your PTR for sure :)

WOW! Congrats in advance and thanks for following along!!! Your honeymoon sounds like it is going to be an amazing trip!!!! I hope you do a PTR and a TR so I can read all about it!!! :)

Last edited:
LIFE UPDATE!!!

Hi again everyone! Sometimes you just have those weeks where life gets ahead of you! I don't have a Disneyland update but I figured I would fill you in on my past few weeks!!!!

A few weeks ago my family traveled to Gettysburg, PA to celebrate my cousin's wedding! It sure was beautiful (and hot) but we all had a great time. I was the Maid of Honor (and yes I sang my toast, maybe I'll choke up the nerve to upload it on here:upsidedow).... Here is a picture of all of my cousins/brothers and my grandma!

And of course, I can't forget about Wonks! Here's a picture of him and I. :lovestruc

Also - tonight, my family will be headed down to Ocean City, Maryland for the next week!!! This is one of my all time favorite vacation spots (besides WDW/DL of course)!!! Here is a throwback from last year of Wonks and I at the brewing company!

And lastly, our Disneyland countdown! Only 92 more days to go!!!!

Thanks again for following along!

Next Post: WHERE WE'RE STAYING!!!

Last edited:
WHERE WE'RE STAYING!!!

Welcome back!!!! I last left off on a life update and unfortunately there is not too much happening on the Disneyland front! I did buy our 4 day park hopper passes through my work and was able to snag $30.00 off each ticket!!!

We have also officially made all of our hotel reservations for our trip as follows:

Friday November 5th we will be staying at the Econolodge in Glendale, CA. This is a pretty great location, just about halfway in between the airport and Santa Anita Park which is great because we will need to be up early on Sunday to make it to our tour *hopefully*!! (the tour can't be booked until the middle of September so I am holding tight onto that)

Sunday November 6th through Friday November 11th we will be staying at the Park Vue Inn!!!!! Originally, I wanted to stay at the BWPPI but they were completely booked when I went to make the ressie (assuming it is due to the marathon weekend, but you know what happens when you assume :upsidedow). So we booked at PVI and I think we made a great choice. It will sure be a real difference being able to walk from your resort all the way to Splash Mountain in a matter of minutes! We're used to waiting on a bus and walking from the bus to the entrance and then to the rides!

park-vue-inn.jpg
not my picture

For this portion of our stay we splurged and booked the Deluxe King... it is a vacation after all!!! Wonks said he thinks the Jacuzzi tub is a little creepy sitting in the middle of the room and I guess I agree but to each their own!

Friday November 11th we will be staying at the Winners Circle Resort in Solano Beach, CA.

And on Saturday November 12th we will awake so sad knowing we have to make the 2 hour trek back to the airport for our 11:50am flight (this was originally 1:30pm which was much better but AA changed the flight times:crazy2:)

That's all for now! I keep checking the Disneyland website for park hours, but it looks like they are only set through October 1st... I will continue to wait... :rolleyes1With that - here is our current countdown! 71 days!

Next Post: 60 Days To Go!

Last edited:
We stayed at the Park Vue Inn on a previous trip. It was great and we couldn't believe how close it was to the parks. It's right there at the crosswalk, so probably the closest off property hotel!!

Dare I say it but I prefer DL over WDW (and I'm a WDW kid)! Something about being the original and an easier to manage size (especially with kids).

Give yourself extra time from Solano to lax as the traffic is hit or miss. We go to DL every year while on a yearly family trip to La Jolla and each year the drive (leave the hotel same time each year) is dramatically different.

If you can take the monorail from downtown Disney into the park. I realize it's not the same as walking through the main gate but it's a cool experience.

Joining in!! Our trips have a few similarities; I'll be going for 2 days at the end of October with my boyfriend, who has never been to DL! And I've only been to CA once, in 2007, when it was essentially a totally different park. We're so excited! I'm excited to read more about your plans!!

We stayed at the Park Vue Inn on a previous trip. It was great and we couldn't believe how close it was to the parks. It's right there at the crosswalk, so probably the closest off property hotel!!

I think that is what I am most excited about! We have never had the luxury to walk to a park before!!!

Dare I say it but I prefer DL over WDW (and I'm a WDW kid)! Something about being the original and an easier to manage size (especially with kids).

Give yourself extra time from Solano to lax as the traffic is hit or miss. We go to DL every year while on a yearly family trip to La Jolla and each year the drive (leave the hotel same time each year) is dramatically different.

If you can take the monorail from downtown Disney into the park. I realize it's not the same as walking through the main gate but it's a cool experience.

I am sort of stressed about the drive to the airport! I am hoping our departure time goes back in the other direction so we have a little extra time! I really wanted to stop and see the sea lions in La Jolla too!

Joining in!! Our trips have a few similarities; I'll be going for 2 days at the end of October with my boyfriend, who has never been to DL! And I've only been to CA once, in 2007, when it was essentially a totally different park. We're so excited! I'm excited to read more about your plans!!

Where are you from? Are you doing other things in LA? So excited for you!

60 Days to Go!!!

I hope everyone had a great Labor Day!!! I thoroughly enjoyed having yesterday off spending time with my family!

For anyone interested I did start a PTR for our February 2017 WDW trip here

Now back to the DL report....

Sadly, not much new happening :( According to the Disneyland website, the hours are still only posted through October 18th! I guess it will be a while before I can continue to plan our adventure!!

I did some research, and even though I have no idea how accurate it is, isitpacked.com shows our park days Nov 7-10 as "ghost town," see below:

This excites me but at the same time I am apprehensive to believe it. The Sunday before is dapper days and the Friday-Sunday after is a marathon weekend so I am hoping we picked the right days to go!

That's all for now!

Up Next: Where We Want to Eat!

Last edited:
Where are you from? Are you doing other things in LA? So excited for you!
We live in CT! Unfortunately, the only other thing I'll be doing in Anaheim is working on a business trip! I've been to LA before and to be honest, it's not my favorite city, so I'm down for a Disneyland-only trip this time.
Ahh, I hope you get lucky with crowds on your trip! I think there's no getting around crowds during mine unfortunately. I'm also very impatiently waiting for those hours to come out! Couldn't more different from WDW. I miss being able to plan far in advance.

Following along on your PTR. I got the final real "yes" from DH to plan for Disneyland next September (still a year aways :(), so I decided I should start my Dis research on others' DLR trips! Can't wait to hear more! :)

We live in CT! Unfortunately, the only other thing I'll be doing in Anaheim is working on a business trip! I've been to LA before and to be honest, it's not my favorite city, so I'm down for a Disneyland-only trip this time.
Ahh, I hope you get lucky with crowds on your trip! I think there's no getting around crowds during mine unfortunately. I'm also very impatiently waiting for those hours to come out! Couldn't more different from WDW. I miss being able to plan far in advance.

I am still struggling with the park hours! I won't know for sure until about next Thursday! and by then we will only be about 36 days out! It is so crazy how different it is from WDW!

Following along on your PTR. I got the final real "yes" from DH to plan for Disneyland next September (still a year aways :(), so I decided I should start my Dis research on others' DLR trips! Can't wait to hear more! :)

SOOO EXCITING!!! How long will you be going for? I feel like everyone has different opinions on how long to do DLR, I personally think our 4 days won't be long enough but it is all I could convince DBF to go!

SOOO EXCITING!!! How long will you be going for? I feel like everyone has different opinions on how long to do DLR, I personally think our 4 days won't be long enough but it is all I could convince DBF to go!

I think we will do 4 park days. I could always do more, but I know we want at least one beach day, and another day to do southern california touristy stuff. I don't want my kids out of school for more than a week, so that's all we will have time for. I am thinking that our on our non-park days we will do some character meals at the resorts or downtown disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!