HH in March at 7 months. What about transportation.

Tigger1

DIS Veteran
We have never been to HH but are VB lovers. Thinking maybe try in March during spring break. Has this ever been possible at 7 month booking? Will it be to cold to enjoy the hot tub or beach? Will we want to rent a car if we fly? How far is HH from airport. This trip would be just DH and myself. We would only want a studio or 1-bedroom.

We have gone to HH in March for the past 4 years and haven't had a problem booking what we've wanted. You will want a car since DVC has only counter service. There are a few restaurants within easy walking distance, but HH has so many excellent restaurants that require driving. Well, I guess if you are very active, you could bicycle to them, but we wouldn't. The weather is unpredictable in March. This year we were there for a week in mid March and had a few very warm, sunny days, a few rainy, windy days, and some nights that were very chilly. We enjoy HH so much that we don't worry about the weather and get out and go regardless.

We enjoy HH so much that we don't worry about the weather and get out and go regardless.

:thumbsup2 Can I be so DVC-spoiled as to recommend strongly that you go for the 1 BR? That little entry way area where the washer and dryer is, the picnic table on the LARGE back porch, the full size refrigerator, all make the 1 BR so much more worth it to me. HHI was the place where my love for 1 BRs was born, even though it's just DH and myself, about 8 years ago. Then a couple years ago, we reserved a studio, and all I did all week was ***** and moan. Well, except when we were out enjoying the island. I admit I'm DVC-spoiled.

I am also wondering how far HH resort is from the airport. We fly out of buffalo which would be the closest airport? We haven't been there yet,but it is on our to do list.

I am also wondering how far HH resort is from the airport. We fly out of buffalo which would be the closest airport? We haven't been there yet,but it is on our to do list.

The closest by far is Savannah, less than an hour. However, sometimes orices are high there, so we may fly to Charleston, about 2-2 1/2 hours away. The third option is Jacksonville, a little more than 3 hours. But last time we flew there, there was over 25 miles of major construction barrels, and it was late at night. Plus we got talked into buying extra insurance by a fast-talking rental car place. No other agent anywhere has been able to do that. So Jacksonville leaves a bad taste in our mouths. You used to be able to fly into HHI, but I just read that since the golf tournament, that's no longer possible (unless they changed at the last minute).

HH has its own airport with good connections thru Charlotte so you might look into that . The airport is about 3 miles from the DVC resort. Next closest is Savannah about 45 minutes away.

I would suggest having a car.

HH has its own airport with good connections thru Charlotte so you might look into that .

That's the airport that the Island Packet said was losing its air traffic controllers and possibly closing last month. It didn't?

:thumbsup2 Can I be so DVC-spoiled as to recommend strongly that you go for the 1 BR? That little entry way area where the washer and dryer is, the picnic table on the LARGE back porch, the full size refrigerator, all make the 1 BR so much more worth it to me. HHI was the place where my love for 1 BRs was born, even though it's just DH and myself, about 8 years ago. Then a couple years ago, we reserved a studio, and all I did all week was b***ch and moan. Well, except when we were out enjoying the island. I admit I'm DVC-spoiled.

I have to agree that we are DVC spoiled, too. Usually it's just DH and me, but we are much happier in the 1BR. We tried a studio for a short trip, and it was adequate, but cramped and not comfortable for more than 1-2 nights, in my opinion. This year we had a 2-BR since we took another couple, and we loved the space.

First if you have never been to HH I would suggest arriving during the day. On our first trip we arrived after dark and its hard to find your way after dark. You might look at a cash stay we got a studio a few years ago in march for 80 dollars a night. Have fun your going to love it.

:thumbsup2 Can I be so DVC-spoiled as to recommend strongly that you go for the 1 BR? That little entry way area where the washer and dryer is, the picnic table on the LARGE back porch, the full size refrigerator, all make the 1 BR so much more worth it to me. HHI was the place where my love for 1 BRs was born, even though it's just DH and myself, about 8 years ago. Then a couple years ago, we reserved a studio, and all I did all week was b***ch and moan. Well, except when we were out enjoying the island. I admit I'm DVC-spoiled.

I am DVC spoiled also and just booked a cash one bedroom at Hilton Head for 3 nights in mid June. A studio was available but the price difference was so small, it made it a no brainer to get us a one bedroom.:cool1:

That said, if you compare studios, the Hilton Head studio is very spacious, not cramped at all, especially for 2 people. Balconies are a good size, bathroom is nice sized and the kitchenette is sort of the short side of an 'L' as you walk in, thereby providing a little separation from your coffee and leftovers.:dance3:

Love the one bedrooms, but can't find much to complain about in the HH studio.

But, don't get me started on the Vero Beach studio - that room is just plain annoying once you have to open the sofa sleeper.

We stayed at HH in early Feb this year and had 60-70 degree weather which was gorgeous but apparently not normal for the time of year. HH is so beautiful that you will want a car to explore. We stayed in a 2BR and for somewhere that is fairly quiet at night it was great to have a separate living area and just relax with a DVD. There are plenty of grocery stores on the island so we loved having a kitchen. Me and BF usually stay in studios but I wouldn't stay in a studio at HHI because food can be pricey.

We stayed at HH in early Feb this year and had 60-70 degree weather which was gorgeous but apparently not normal for the time of year. HH is so beautiful that you will want a car to explore. We stayed in a 2BR and for somewhere that is fairly quiet at night it was great to have a separate living area and just relax with a DVD. There are plenty of grocery stores on the island so we loved having a kitchen. Me and BF usually stay in studios but I wouldn't stay in a studio at HHI because food can be pricey.

Yeah, we were just talking this morning about pricey food there, and how we always plan one trip to Arby's during the week to take a load off the budget a little. Besides we like Arby's. But it's a different clientele-that's where you'll see the workers, the people who cut the lawns, paint the houses, etc.
I envy you your weather in February. When we went in February, it rained/sleeted all week and the "high" was in the 50s. Our one and only February trip to HHI. But your experience with the weather makes me think we should try again.

The weather in the low country was very odd this year (just like the rest of the nation). It was much cooler in Feb-Mar than in Dec-Jan.

We many times go to the beach in March, mainly to get away from the St. Patrick's day folks. Don't necessarily get in the water, but, the air is warm enough usually.

Savannah/Hilton Head Air Port here in Savannah is a nice airport, but, again, check your prices. You can get to the resort in about 45 minutes from the airport if you go the right roads.

we had a 1BR this past March 11-15 and booked at 7 months (maybe less even?).

The weather was up and down, the pools were nice and warm and the sun helped. The ocean - no, too cold! We walked along the beach, but just stuck toes in the water.

We drove, so I'm no help on the airport question

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter