HHI LOVERS THREAD

Disney has specifically said no to gaiters and shields, though I did see a couple of the week they opened. The reason for this guidance is that even the cheaper masks you can buy by the box in stores have more than one layer of material (you likely noticed one side is typically light blue, the other white). Gaiters are intended for blocking the sun while allowing maximum breathability, and they're rarely more than a single layer of stretch polyester, thus not as effective as masks. Shields, likewise, offer little protection unless a mask is worn beneath it.

We were there again last weekend, and as Nvrgrowup says, most guests onsite are compliant, though not always. We did see managers politely ask guests to put their masks on while strolling around the grounds, and it's an easy thing to do. With the new mandate in HHI, we also saw many more people with masks in the general population. Still, we largely avoided crowds. We did takeout, and we cooked in our room. Enjoy your trip!

Thank you all for your responses! Some good information on the shields.

Also, thank you for your warm wishes for our trip. It's in September, and I'm still waffling on it! Don't know what to do. :confused3

I will share a bit of our background and our decision to go to HH last week. We are yearly Disney World visitors. We decided with the virus and the fact that we have an asthmatic ds the parks and plane ride were a no go for us.
We decided on HH knowing we could possibly control our environment a bit more and drive. We limited our time out and about did take out more etc. We still enjoyed the beach and resort. I felt relatively safe and was happy to see all the mask wearing and fairly good social distancing.The cms did a great job cleaning and wiping down areas.
We found it to be a good compromise for our family. Only you will know what is the best for your family. You still have sometime to decide. I wish you well.

I will share a bit of our background and our decision to go to HH last week. We are yearly Disney World visitors. We decided with the virus and the fact that we have an asthmatic ds the parks and plane ride were a no go for us.
We decided on HH knowing we could possibly control our environment a bit more and drive. We limited our time out and about did take out more etc. We still enjoyed the beach and resort. I felt relatively safe and was happy to see all the mask wearing and fairly good social distancing.The cms did a great job cleaning and wiping down areas.
We found it to be a good compromise for our family. Only you will know what is the best for your family. You still have sometime to decide. I wish you well.
Much appreciated. We are set to go in August as as replacement to many canceled trips since March. We would do the same as you (outdoor activities only and eat in). It is so difficult to determine best steps during this time so any input is appreciated. Thank you.

We found it to be a good compromise for our family. Only you will know what is the best for your family. You still have some
time to decide. I wish you well.

Thank you for sharing and the well wishes! :flower1:
An added bonus for us will also be that September is the beginning of the "off-season" or at least, I hope. :)

Thank you for sharing and the well wishes! :flower1:
An added bonus for us will also be that September is the beginning of the "off-season" or at least, I hope. :)

When we go, it's usually in September. The resort is always pretty hopping, but the rest of the island is quieter. Last time, we went in the beginning of June and there was a noticeable difference off Disney property, but not on property. We're back to September (fingers crossed hopefully) for this year. Really looking forward to it.

Any tips on getting rooms at HHI? We are having a baby in late October and have had to cancel two cruises and a trip to Disney for our anniversary. We thought a weekend getaway to HHI would be a fun getaway before the baby comes but of course Disney's HHI is booked up at the moment. Just got off the phone with them looking for any stretch of three days in August or early Sept and they couldn't find anything. Is there any hope of something coming open on such late notice or are we just crazy to try? haha

Not DVC and have never been to HHI but always wanted to visit

Any tips on getting rooms at HHI? We are having a baby in late October and have had to cancel two cruises and a trip to Disney for our anniversary. We thought a weekend getaway to HHI would be a fun getaway before the baby comes but of course Disney's HHI is booked up at the moment. Just got off the phone with them looking for any stretch of three days in August or early Sept and they couldn't find anything. Is there any hope of something coming open on such late notice or are we just crazy to try? haha

Perhaps check some of the DVC rental sites for set reservations (defined resort and days). I see HHI occasionally on these. Also, you might check DVC rental websites to see if there are openings for DVC members. Good luck!

Nothing on a cash basis. I have been looking. Every now and then I will get a 2-bedroom, but I am not willing to fork over the money for wasted space for just two people.

Anyone know about the a.c. in the rooms? My concern is germs being spread from room to room via the a.c.

Still hoping to make our first DVC HHI trip in a couple of weeks and complete our visit to each DVC resort! 🤞We still are not comfortable eating inside restaurants. We haven't been to a restaurant and sat outside for that matter either. Any recommendations of good places not too far from the resort where there is outdoor seating that is properly spaced? I understand all restaurant servers need to wear masks now but reading some other posts there are some restaurants with outside seating that seem to be crowded with tables pretty close. Any recommendations appreciated!

Still hoping to make our first DVC HHI trip in a couple of weeks and complete our visit to each DVC resort! 🤞We still are not comfortable eating inside restaurants. We haven't been to a restaurant and sat outside for that matter either. Any recommendations of good places not too far from the resort where there is outdoor seating that is properly spaced? I understand all restaurant servers need to wear masks now but reading some other posts there are some restaurants with outside seating that seem to be crowded with tables pretty close. Any recommendations appreciated!

I haven't been to HHI, so I can;t give a recommendation...but I would say, don't rule out restaurants entirely, but be sure to take a good look at the individual restaurants protocols. For instance, here in Texas, our local Denny's is at about 30% seating, masks are required unless you are seated at your table, tables have plenty of distance between them, and are well sterilized between guests, and of course the employees are all wearing masks...but there are some open and operating local restaurants here that I would not trust. So just check everything out, carefully. Then make whatever decision is right for you.

We were there a couple of weeks ago. We ate at Hudsons and SkullCreek Boathouse. Good outdoor seating and table spacing.. The restaurants are kind of next to each other on the water. Great food at especially if you like seafood. They can get crowded and they don't take reservations. They are about 20 minutes from the resort. There are some good places to get take out and you can always hit up Kroger and grill. There are places to eat in Harbor Place across from the resort. We just didn't see great facemask wearing there or good table spacing when we drove by. Hopefully it's gotten better.. Have fun!! The resort and island are beautiful.

Reactions: ngl
We've been there twice since DHHIR reopened. The first time was for a week the first day they opened, and the second just two weekends ago. There is a new mandate in HHI, specifically, requiring masks in all indoor venues: restaurants, grocery stores, retail shops, et. al. That helps reduce the number who crowd together maskless; however, there are always those who simply won't.

That being said, there are a few restaurants that appear to do better than others. In Shelter Cove, which is literally a 3-minute walk from the Disney resort, you have a few options. Scott's Fish Market is one, and they have decent food. However, the tables aren't particularly well-spaced with some diners still within a 3-4 feet of you when you sit down and it gets crowded. And Scott's, being so close to Disney and sitting on the marina, generally gets crowded. Right next to Scott's is the Hilton Head Social Bakery. It's not a sit down place, and their fare is more French-inspired such as croissants, quiche, tarts, and many other pastries. It's a very good (though expensive) place to grab-n-go, and they practice good social distancing. Farther down is San Miguel's, and I do not recommend it. As a poster eloquently said on another thread, it's basically "a giant mosh pit." We walked by it a few times, and that's an apt description. Even farther down is Ela's on the Water, and they practice solid efforts to reduce the spread of COVID, including outdoor seating. I recommend them--plus, they have good food, albeit slightly more expensive than, say, Scott's.

Nearby, as in a 5-10 minute drive, are two very good restaurants, though both are Italian. First, there's OMBRA Cucina which still employs outdoor seating (I think), as well as indoor seating. It's one of our favorite spots; it's adult-oriented, too. Second, is Michael Anthony's which, essentially, is across the street from OMBRA and also has excellent food and is more adult-oriented, as well. Both of those are located as you head in the direction of Sea Pines.

If you head in the opposite direction, and between a 15-20 minute drive, there are some very good seafood restaurants. Skull Creek Boathouse (not Dockside) is one of our top places, but they do not take reservations, and it's crowded. There are a lot of outdoor tables, to be sure, but there will be a lot of people, regardless. Hudson's is nearby, and they have outdoor seating but, again, it is smaller than Skull Creek and a favorite among many locals. The Black Marlin is another good spot, and they have a lot of outdoor seating, well-spaced, and you can make reservations there. Finally, there is one of our go-to seafood places, Fish Camp on Broad Creek. While the tables inside are a little close for our tastes, the outdoor seating is well-spaced, the views very nice, and the food and service excellent.

Finally, if you have a room with a full kitchen, I highly recommend visiting either Bennie Hudson's fresh seafood market (about 15 minutes from the resort) or Barnacle Bill's (about 5-7 minutes away), and both have fresh seafood delivered off boats every day. You can make your own low country boil, or grill scallops, or do fresh shrimp, or cook any number of varieties of fish (mostly from Bennie Hudson's), or even shuck your own fresh oysters. Best wishes to you in your decision-making. Certainly, pretty much any place in town now does takeout or curbside service, including both OMBRA and Michael Anthony's.

Anyone know about the a.c. in the rooms? My concern is germs being spread from room to room via the a.c.
I'm not an expert, and I can only report what I've seen in my numerous walks around the resort, but it appears each room has its own a/c unit. These are tucked away behind wooden fencing at each building, and appear to correlate one per room. If so, that would mean the ventilation shafts are also unique to each room. Further, I do know that each room has its own thermostat, further indicating such a system. Now, many of the rooms will be 1BR/studio lockoff types, and those would share a doorway through which it's theoretically possible for a small amount of air flow between the two if they are in the lockoff mode. I would say this: if you're uneasy about the possibility of cross-contamination, it might not be quite the time to go to HHI. Personally, I feel the greater risk is walking around town and heading to restaurants or even doing takeout. I hope this helps your thinking. HHI is a great place to visit.

Hey all! Has anyone posted a recent list of activities at the resort? We are going later this year and I was curious to see what will be available. Thanks!

I just looked and there is a studio available for the nights of August 7 and 8.

Our first stay at Disney's Hilton Head is coming soon. A couple questions....it will be me, hubby and kids 21 & 25. We plan to pack a cooler and head to the beach with our own chairs and umbrellas. Our cooler will most likely have some beer in it....we are not obnoxious, just like to have an adult beverage while chilling on the beach. I just read where no alcohol is permitted on the beach....Yikes! Is this strictly enforced or if i'm being discreet and minding my own business and not getting hammered will they just look on?

Just canceled our 30th anniversary trip planned for VGC in September. 😢 Thankfully they let me un-borrow the points from Oct 2020 and I was able to snag a 2BR at HHI for Aug 29- Sept 2. We all love DHHIR but haven’t been in a few years so now we have something to look forward to!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter