High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

My DD has finals this week and the move out date is May 6th. She is doing a paid Co-op job this summer for 10 weeks and then she will be looking for a car to buy since she has clinical's for her nursing program next year.
The time sure did fly this year..

Yay! Almost done the freshman year. He's done next week, with very few finals. Gets to house sit and watch 2 dogs the week of finals. Then working at summer camp like he's done for several years now. Was giving us a lot of grief that he didn't want to work there anymore, but his counselor told him, it was good for him to take that job. He wants to be a high school teacher, so I guess it took someone else to tell him, working with kids in the summer is a good job for a teacher's resume.

Yay for all the kids coming home. In the fall, Sophomores. Eek, that means I'll have a college Sophomore and a Junior high school kid. I agree. Time is ticking by quickly.

DD's finals are next week and we will take her home the weekend after. I have a week's worth of doctor's appointments set up with possible sinus surgery to follow. I'm hoping for good grades, but considering her health issues, I'm just grateful she made it through the year.

Our CC students take that kind of load most summer semesters and they do great.
That is good to hear! She is a earth science major and just got approved for sustainability minor. Will probably narrow major down to geology as that is her real passion. Since she is my oldest I am a newbie at this LOL.

Year flew by-and my middle will be completing her freshman year in HS. My oldest started looking at colleges late sophomore year so EEKK! as it seems like I blinked twice and oldest went from looking at colleges to being gone to one!

So nice to hear updates!

DD's finals are next week and we will take her home the weekend after. I have a week's worth of doctor's appointments set up with possible sinus surgery to follow. I'm hoping for good grades, but considering her health issues, I'm just grateful she made it through the year.
Goodness your poor girl has had a rough year! Hope she gets things sorted out once she is able to be home and no stress of school!

Goodness your poor girl has had a rough year! Hope she gets things sorted out once she is able to be home and no stress of school!
You would think so, but she signed up for calculus at the local CT this summer.

You know...it just never ends...So this morning just before DD's French oral, she gets a text from her best friend that she's checking herself into the hospital because she's suicidal! I just got a call from DD in tears. She's worried about her friend (whom she cannot reach) and about possibly failing her final because she literally doesn't remember any of it because she was in complete freak out mode. I calmed her down...I mean she might have done amazingly well because she was to busy to over-think things (her usual problem) and besides, even if she got a 0, she will still average out to a B-. My grandmother was right: little children, little problems; big children, big problems.

You know...it just never ends...So this morning just before DD's French oral, she gets a text from her best friend that she's checking herself into the hospital because she's suicidal! I just got a call from DD in tears. She's worried about her friend (whom she cannot reach) and about possibly failing her final because she literally doesn't remember any of it because she was in complete freak out mode. I calmed her down...I mean she might have done amazingly well because she was to busy to over-think things (her usual problem) and besides, even if she got a 0, she will still average out to a B-. My grandmother was right: little children, little problems; big children, big problems.
So true, punkin. I hope your daughter's friend is ok, and I hope the test went well, too.

Good luck to all in finals. It is a stressful time. My DD is done as of Friday morning.

Possible Good news in the Florida Legislature for those with FL Bright Futures Academic Level. They may be bumping the award value back up to what it used to be, 100% cost of tuition. Fingers crossed.

DD's last final is Saturday morning (weird, huh?) I am driving up Friday so I can pack her up and drive back home Saturday. Maybe we will stop somewhere overnight on the way back. It is a very long trip.

DD finished her last final yesterday. She thinks she did pretty well, not sure if she will get all As or if one class might end up a high B. She is handling dorm move out by herself, and staying with a friend for a few days afterward to attend a concert. I go to pick her up on Wednesday. Excited to see her!

Holy crap- we just added DD as a new driver to our auto insurance. Much more expensive than we imagined- we were worried our rate would double, but no- it TRIPLED. Ridiculous. I'm kind of sick about it, actually. But she has a car, and will get her license next week so she can drive to work over the summer. I told her she had better drive safely- no accidents or tickets to up the rate even more!!

When will we start to see a break in the cost? Will it start coming down each 6 months? Or are we totally screwed for the next few years?

Tomorrow is Dead day for DD. Move out day a week from tomorrow. But her friend is driving up from Florida on Monday and will be with us most of summer. She is like a another DD to us (she and her mom moved to florida when she got into college there). DS is excited to have her come stay with us (she stayed with us over Christmas Break). Finals next week and then Freshman year is officially done!

DD finished her last final yesterday. She thinks she did pretty well, not sure if she will get all As or if one class might end up a high B. She is handling dorm move out by herself, and staying with a friend for a few days afterward to attend a concert. I go to pick her up on Wednesday. Excited to see her!

Holy crap- we just added DD as a new driver to our auto insurance. Much more expensive than we imagined- we were worried our rate would double, but no- it TRIPLED. Ridiculous. I'm kind of sick about it, actually. But she has a car, and will get her license next week so she can drive to work over the summer. I told her she had better drive safely- no accidents or tickets to up the rate even more!!

When will we start to see a break in the cost? Will it start coming down each 6 months? Or are we totally screwed for the next few years?
Totally screwed, lol. We have twins and added them both at once. We nearly :faint: when we opened that first bill! We promptly changed insurance companies and got the new amount down by about half, but it was still almost triple what we were originally paying. (If that makes sense!) We said the same thing, do NOT have any dumb accidents or speeding tickets!

Boy, you guys finish up early! Mine haven't even started finals yet! Looking back, though, this year sort of flew by, didn't it? Both of mine really enjoyed their first year.

DD's finals week is next week. But her last exam is on Wednesday, so DH will be picking her up that day.

She really seemed to enjoy college life (more even than I thought she would) and had a good year.
She's pretty confident she'll have all A's except one class: stats. The prof only gives points for exams. And the exams are very small. First test 15 points, second 16, third 9. :crazy2: Then final exam next week. She's got an 88% right now. She liked the instructor, but was soooo frustrated with the small number of overall points and how difficult it is to maintain an A.:sad2: She's pretty much over it by now, but it was a major stressor earlier in the semester.

She was elected secretary of her major's club for next year. She's very happy about that. One of her jobs will be setting up visits with hospitals to view their facilities, and she's hopeful this will be helpful when she applies for her senior year competitive externship, since she will have met and worked with department managers. (Fingers crossed.) Shouldn't hurt on her first resume also.

All in all, a good year. The only bad news was a flare-up of an eye disease about six weeks ago. o_O She had been stable for a year or so prior to that. Not entirely unexpected since stress can be a trigger, and that's the longest she had been stable since she was 13. We were able to work it out for now and schedule a visit and treatment during spring break, and stretched the monthly follow-up to six weeks so she could get through finals week. But her college is 4 hours from her doctor's office, and it often takes a year or so of injections to control flares, so we're going to have to find a doctor near her school for next fall I guess, and pay out of network. A bummer, but not entirely unexpected at some point. Just taking that day by day.

This summer, she'll be working days at DH's place of employment, and taking class to get her phlebotomy certification two nights a week. She's hoping she will be able to find a job at a hospital or clinic near her school next fall. So, she'll be keeping busy. But, it'll be nice to have her home for a while. :) Three visits in 9 months is not enough.

Glad everyone's year has gone well. They'll be grads in the blink of an eye!!!

Totally screwed, lol. We have twins and added them both at once. We nearly :faint: when we opened that first bill! We promptly changed insurance companies and got the new amount down by about half, but it was still almost triple what we were originally paying. (If that makes sense!) We said the same thing, do NOT have any dumb accidents or speeding tickets!

Boy, you guys finish up early! Mine haven't even started finals yet! Looking back, though, this year sort of flew by, didn't it? Both of mine really enjoyed their first year.
Both of my college kids have their last final on the 15th. We now pay $4000 a year in car insurance, 3 vehicles. All 10+ years old, no collision. Will need to add dd16 in less than a year. Dd20 just totaled a vehicle, ran into a brand new Lexus. Fortunately we had accident forgiveness, our one get out of jail free cards. We are doomed.

Our DD is done next week on the 12th and will be heading home. DH and I are going down tomorrow to get most of her "big" stuff home. We will also be taking some of her stuff to goodwill. She and her roommate bought (used) some fancy headboards and desk hutches to use in their rooms this year. It is just not practical to bring them all the way home - about 450 miles - with the hope that they "might" sell them to someone to use next fall. Luckily we bought them used and didn't spend a fortune on them.

They also have a futon that we are going to try to get home though. I thing between her and older DD, one of them will be able to use in in their off-campus apartment next year.

We are hoping to not take a bunch of time because I know she will have lots of studying to do before finals (and I realize it's all the kids last weekend at school), but she has to be out by the 13th and next weekend just does not work for us to go down there.

We now pay $4000 a year in car insurance, 3 vehicles. All 10+ years old, no collision. Will need to add dd16 in less than a year. Dd20 just totaled a vehicle, ran into a brand new Lexus. Fortunately we had accident forgiveness, our one get out of jail free cards. We are doomed.
Ugh! Ours was initially $6100 with three older cars, also! (I think we both live in high cost states.) Thankfully at the time, I was on bedrest for a few weeks and had time to play around with companies and rates and managed to get it down to around $3500 for the same coverage with a different company which was not based in my state (even though we had been with ours forever, they wouldn't budge; apparently lots of people in our state doing the same thing now, since costs have gotten ridiculous). We've since had to replace one of the older cars so I'm not sure what it's up to again now, I don't even want to look (and thankfully DH pays that bill, lol). DD drives my mother's car who is no longer driving, so she's covered on a family plan type thing so my mother doesn't have to pay more. We just have to provide proof of coverage every year to her insurance company showing we have both kids on ours. That turns out to be major hassle every year when there's a miscommunication between companies (mainly my mother's company, ie our old one) but it's ultimately worth the hassle. In fact I'm still dealing with fallout from November this year despite multiple assurances it would be taken care. >:(

Yeah definitely shop around on the car insurance! We were bundled with one company that gave us lower rates (house, car) but they decided not to do this anymore - is it bad that I don't know who we have? DH is the detail person on this LOL. I do know we get a pretty good discount because our extra driver is female, all A's, and we have AAA. We were going to drop the AAA but even if we only use it once it can be lifesaver-and with DD taking her car to Florida this fall it made sense to keep it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!