Hilton Head Resort Tips

JeffCWA

OKW 1992
DVC owners since 1992, but just now making our first trip to Hilton Head Resort. We are two 60's something couples booked in a 2 bedroom for a week mid March and would appreciate advice from regulars with any tips, (building preferences, things to do, places to eat). Thanks in advance!

Hilton Head gets more discussion on our DVC Resorts board, so I’ll move this thread over there. :)

Plenty of restaurants within walking distance, some offer a discount to DVC HHI guests.
Kayaking and dolphin cruises from the marina across the street.
If you are driving bring beach chairs.
Plan a day trip to Daufuskie Island, take the ferry and rent a golf cart to explore (and eat and shop). http://www.daufuskieisland.com/

There's a post from WebmasterDoc with the activities in the area.

It's a special place. Enjoy!

For a two bedroom, ask for the upper floor. Lots of people with first floor rooms have had issues with noise from footsteps above. Building preference varies, but we'd recommend buildings 14, 15, 27, 29, or 31. For dining, you can't go wrong with any restaurant in the SERG group-Poseidon, Skull Creek Boathouse, Black Marlin (I forget the others). Also, we love Old Oyster Factory, Sea Shack, Kenny B's, British Open Pub. Best activity-relax!

Also just be aware that even the 1st floor rooms require you to bring your luggage up a few steps. None of the rooms are ground level...so keep that in mind when packing. There is one building (the main building) that has elevators. We have only been to HHI once so and I'm not sure what room configurations are in that main building with the elevators.
Have a great time...it is a very relaxing, peaceful place.

We always do a day trip to Savannah, GA when we go to HHI. It is a beautiful city with great architecture, restaurants, history, tours, shopping...... and it is about 38 miles from the HHI resort to downtown Savannah

Just down the street from DVC HHI, there is a wonderful Kroger’s grocery store that is well stocked for all of your in room dining needs. There are a lot of great restaurants/bars just a short walk from The resort. I also recommend going to hear Bleu and Shadow during storytelling time. They are amazing!

Park your car and rent bikes for the whole trip. Great biking to grocery, restaurants, beach house, etc.

HHI is very different from WDW. You get the Disney vibe and great service but it's much more laid back. You may lay in a hammock all day or crab off the dock for dinner. Go to the campfires (s'mores!).

I noticed the Disney site now has this notice regarding kayaking...

“Due to the ever-changing conditions of the nearby waters and oyster beds, Disney Vacation Club Members and Guests are no longer permitted to launch personal kayaks from the Resort kayak landing.”

Has anyone kayaked there recently and if so, how was it regarding this new rule?

Also, we’re planning to go to HH for the week after Christmas. Is kayaking even possible at that time of year?

I noticed the Disney site now has this notice regarding kayaking...

“Due to the ever-changing conditions of the nearby waters and oyster beds, Disney Vacation Club Members and Guests are no longer permitted to launch personal kayaks from the Resort kayak landing.”

Has anyone kayaked there recently and if so, how was it regarding this new rule?

Also, we’re planning to go to HH for the week after Christmas. Is kayaking even possible at that time of year?

I think they want kayakers to have a guide. No wandering (paddling) around with no idea of where you are going or how to get back.

I don't know about the week after Christmas, but we've been the first week in December and there were people kayaking.

After 18 years of owning DVC in HHI, we are selling. Many changes over the years - but the kayak rule is the straw that broke the camel's back. Very few people actually bring their own kayaks. We lugged them with us on every trip from Pennsylvania. We kept them out of the way on the side of the lodge building we were on. The reality is you can rent kayaks 'on your own' at Shelter Cove and traverse the 'nearby waters and oyster beds.' We will treasure our dozen plus weeks at Disney HHI - it is time to move on.

Just curious-what changes are you referring too? Do you mean general DVC changes (we’ve noticed them) or specific to HHI? All we’ve noticed is that they no longer offer cranberry nut cookies (my favorite) and the daily room checks. Anything else?

Just curious-what changes are you referring too? Do you mean general DVC changes (we’ve noticed them) or specific to HHI? All we’ve noticed is that they no longer offer cranberry nut cookies (my favorite) and the daily room checks. Anything else?

Does HHI have daily room checks? (trash removal)

After 18 years of owning DVC in HHI, we are selling. Many changes over the years - but the kayak rule is the straw that broke the camel's back. Very few people actually bring their own kayaks. We lugged them with us on every trip from Pennsylvania. We kept them out of the way on the side of the lodge building we were on. The reality is you can rent kayaks 'on your own' at Shelter Cove and traverse the 'nearby waters and oyster beds.' We will treasure our dozen plus weeks at Disney HHI - it is time to move on.

I may be interested in your contract if it has a Feb UY. I suspect some ding-dong did something stupid and it's ruined it for everyone.

As others have said, plenty of places to eat, and the front desk can give you a list. Our favorites over the years have been OMBRA Cucina (consistently voted one of the top restaurants in HHI), Skull Creek, and on our last trip found Fish Camp on Boat Creek to be delightful. I also vote for buying fresh seafood (that one Kroger is very good, but just a mile or so farther down the main drag, there's a fresh seafood shack (it is a shack) that has some very fresh items. We bought shrimp, scallops, mussels, and made our own boil. Definitely bike (or walk) the numerous paths that interconnect and can take you almost any place.

Does HHI have daily room checks? (trash removal)

When we were there last November, they did. We were in the room a lot (off-season weather partly) and found the daily checks very intrusive.

We loved our years staying at Disney HHI. It is a beautiful resort and a wonderful vacation place. The cast members are great. We loved our dozen trips there - but started to love them less each year. Over the two years, we have rented houses in Sea Pines instead of staying at Disney. There have been a number of evolutionary changes at DVC we have not liked - maybe we are stuck in the past?

- Point chart change around 2007? was the start of the decline when DVC shifted the point value from 33 points to 41 points per weeknight.
- Increase of dues from $3 to almost $9 per point - really destroyed the value of staying at DVC - especially when combined with the points per night shift. Definitely far in excess of the inflation rate and comparable room rate increases. $360 per night in dues (which does not include capital outlay of original point purchase) in 2019 makes it $2000 for five nights.
- Room refurbishment took a lot of the charm of the place away.
- Bike rentals prices have increased to the point where we started renting non-Disney bikes - a hassle.
- New furnishings - especially the sofas are uncomfortable.
- Replacement island is not user friendly with the double height counter.
- Designation of BBQ area as a smoking area near the boat launch - previously our favorite place to cook a meal.
- Change to hotel mentality with the daily room checks - a timeshare is purportedly a real estate ownership interest - increases costs for no reason and its intrusive.
- And now, no personal kayaks are allowed for no reason. The website recommends local boat ramps. Give me a break. There is nothing better than being able to get up, walk outside, grab the kayak and launch for a morning paddle. Now guests have to load them on their cars, drive, unload, paddle, load, and drive back to the resort. What a hassle.

When I broached selling to our kids (who are grown now but we vacation together) they both made the same comment - we've changed as we've aged, but they both said it just was not the same as it used to be. I expected a big argument, but my wife and kids quickly agreed to sell.

These are all my perspective. DVC works for a lot of people and it certainly has provided my family with many irreplaceable memories over the last 19 years.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter