Hogwarts Express Breakdown 8/17

JMcDon22

Earning My Ears
I haven't seen a thread about this so please move if this belongs somewhere else.

Just got back from Universal and experienced a somewhat scary/alarming situation. My girlfriend and I were finishing up our day at Islands of Adventure and heading over to Studios to explore Diagon Alley aboard the Hogwarts Express around 3:00 PM. We were seated in the second train car with two couples both with children (6 and 13). Maybe 2-3 minutes into the ride our "window screen" went black and the train completely stopped. The sound was still playing but no lights or movement or air conditioning. After a few minutes the Universal "cast member" (who was amazing through all of this I might add) opened our door and told us we experienced a loss of power to the train and that they were working on fixing the problem. We were able to get up and walk around a little but all doors were closed and it got hot FAST. She explained not to take any pictures or videos of anything. Maybe 20 minutes or so went by and you could hear her radio say that all guests need to remain in their cars and should not be moving at all. Everyone was remaining calm and patient but the heat was getting progressively worse and the little girl across from us had to go to the bathroom but couldn't. Her father explained this to the cast member and she radioed it in but there was not much to be done. Another 20 minutes went by and still no movement or signs of the issue being fixed. At this point everyone was out of their seats even after being told to stay in the small "pods." People started looking sick/heat exhausted and we were continually told to remain in our pods and that we would need to evacuate the train. Eventually the cast member tried to open the door but couldn't and a man we were riding with ended up doing it for her while she was at the other end of the train car (Probably wasn't a good idea but we were relieved with the minimal air flow it gave us). Looking out the door we could see we were raised above ground and there was a gap from the train car to the catwalk running alongside it. There were police and lots of Universal workers on the catwalk. We were continuously told we would be evacuating but that we needed to remain in our seats. Another 15 minutes or so went by and people were extremely aggravated and we were all beyond hot. It was a small, hot confined space for over an hour where temperatures had to be 110+. A woman got sick and was throwing up at the back of one train car and the poor little girl across from us was almost in tears scared, hot, and close to going to the bathroom in her clothes. They finally set up safety nets and platforms to the catwalk and we got off one by one and were led down steps to the ground where they lined us up and gave us small bottles of water. People were taking videos and pictures and security was yelling to stop. They lined us up and started walking us back to IOA. We ended up coming back into the park next to the Voyage of Sinbad show which was going on at the time. They shuffled us in and it basically told us you are back in IOA. Maybe half the train went back into the park but when a few of us got through we demanded to speak to someone and be compensated for what had just happened. When you are paying hundreds of dollars and lose two hours of time in extreme heat with only a "I'm sorry here's some water" it just didn't cut it. People were being seen by EMS for heat exhaustion and our day was ruined. Thankfully a Universal employee (not going to use names) took down our information and a few other families and we were offered what I felt was reasonable compensation. I won't explain what that was because I won't know if it will happen for a few days.

The point of this post is to point out that something needs to be done with the safety protocol with the Express in the case something like this happens. Sitting for over an hour in that heat could have been deadly and that's not an exaggeration. The Express "cast member" was great through this all and was in her uniform so she had to be feeling the heat worse than us. It shouldn't take that long to get someone there to evacuate. If this was a fire or something worse who knows what could have happened. I know rides breakdown all the time and people get stuck but I think this was a pretty extreme circumstance. For there to only be offered compensation after a few people "make a scene" is unreasonable for this situation. We stayed at the park until close and did not get to do half of what we wanted. Unfortunately this was our one Universal day and we will have to wait to get back another time to do a lot of what we wanted which in our case could be years. I do thank the workers providing water and the EMS/fire/police who did what they could to get us off.

I will post the link to the news story I found once I saw a channel 6 helicopter overhead as we were walking out of IOA to Studios. Please remove the link if that is not allowed. The Hogwarts Express remained close the rest of the day/night. Hopefully our day at Animal Kingdom will go a little smoother...

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/hogwarts-express-at-universal-orlando-evacuated

That sounds so awful! I don't think I would've dealt well with the heat or the enclosed space. I really hope that Universal learned some valuable lessons from this and they develop a better plan in case the Express breaks down again. I am very disappointed to hear that they weren't automatically offering their guests compensation! It sounds like a terrible experience. I hope the rest of your vacation is much better!

Yeah, that's fairly inexcusable for it to take that long. I got ticked at Disney one time because it took almost a half hour to be evacuated from Splash Mountain, and it was air conditioned.

So...if they had to evacuate that poster's train, I guess it's safe to assume they also had to evacuate the train coming from King's Cross as well? Don't those trains operate dependently on each other?

Yeah, that's fairly inexcusable for it to take that long. I got ticked at Disney one time because it took almost a half hour to be evacuated from Splash Mountain, and it was air conditioned.

So...if they had to evacuate that poster's train, I guess it's safe to assume they also had to evacuate the train coming from King's Cross as well? Don't those trains operate dependently on each other?

Yup, they move at the same time.

That is a long time. Wonder how often this has happened?

Wonder how often this has happened?

Probably not very often, given the long response time for a solution in getting the people evacuated. The "gap" should have been a foreseen issue in the design and building of the ride. It wouldn't be hard to fashion an aluminum ramp with rails so the train can be safely and easily evacuated in the future.

Probably not very often, given the long response time for a solution in getting the people evacuated. The "gap" should have been a foreseen issue in the design and building of the ride. It wouldn't be hard to fashion an aluminum ramp with rails so the train can be safely and easily evacuated in the future.

You would think that the evacuation route would have all been safety inspected.

All rides are required to have a evac plan and route for certification to operate.

However, the preferred method of evac during any kind of breakdown is to resolve the issue and move the ride vehicle to a designated offload point. If the issue is something they believe is resolvable in a short timeframe then they will keep everyone onboard and then get you back to the station. However if the issue turns out to be more serious then the evac plan will be set in motion. The park avoids evac because they are a safety risk, especially more so with anything elevated above ground. When a carousel breaks down, you can just evac because you are at ground level and at the ride platform. It is a little harder with Hogwarts Express, and even more difficult with a roller coaster.

The park was not trying to figure out how to evac, but which options was the safer and more practical based on changing conditions and feedback from ride maintenance and engineers.

Wow. I know the heat index on Tuesday and Wednesday when I was there was over 105º. That would have been very difficult to handle.

Wow! Sounds pretty scary especially in this heat! Glad everyone is safe! Do we know exactly what happened? I'm arriving next week and plan on riding the train. Is it up and running properly now?

That timeframe is not even close to acceptable.

I would expect that if the ride is not up and running within 10 mins an evac would begin immediately. Especially in that heat.

That timeframe is not even close to acceptable.

I would expect that if the ride is not up and running within 10 mins an evac would begin immediately. Especially in that heat.

Dare to dream, we were stuck on the Disney frozen ride for more than 10 minutes and all you have to do is walk out.

We got stuck on Splash Mountain for 60 minutes before being evac'ed and although being stuck is miserable I understand that it's a huge undertaking to evac riders and in some instances it's safer to keep them on the ride if at all possible.

It sounds miserable and I'm sorry it happened to your OP.

It sounds like a terrible experience. I hope the rest of your vacation is much better!

Thanks! Animal Kingdom was great today and we are on our way to a CRT reservation.

That is a long time. Wonder how often this has happened?

The Hogwarts attendant stated this had never happened on the Express before. Not sure how accurate that is.

The park was not trying to figure out how to evac, but which options was the safer and more practical based on changing conditions and feedback from ride maintenance and engineers.

I get what you are saying and completely agree. The heat was what made this seem like their response should have been MUCH faster and more urgent.

I would completely lose my mind.

It was close for many of us. I certainly did when we were herded back into IOA. I am sure I distracted from the Voyage of Sinbad show for a few. :sad2:

It sounds miserable and I'm sorry it happened to your OP.

Thank you. Never expected something like this to happen to us. Certainly an experience we won't ever forget. Unfortunately for the wrong reasons.

A little more bearable on an air conditioned boat ride I guess.

Yes, a bit, but not when its 11:30 and you have two young kids that have to get to bed. But the point I was making is, if we are waiting 10 minutes on a ride where they literally take you out of the boat and walk you back to the entrance, expecting 10 minutes to get someone off a train that is suspended above the ground is wishful thinking.

sorry to hear that - hopefully they have learned from this and I'm pretty sure Universal will make it right - do update us.

I know from previous experience they are far better than Disney in these situations - even when it was really nothing they could control and we expected nothing from them.
Universal was about making things better for us so we could enjoy our vacation where as in the same situation Disney was worried about a lawsuit.

It might be difficult to get people off really quickly but at least there should be emergency air conditioning that makes sure that people are at least comfortable during this time.

Hmm. Gonna avoid that ride for the time being. Sounds like they don't have a good plan in place for that circumstance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter