Holding crutch on EVC?

I *love* that! It's like a giant twist-tie - and who couldn't use one of those? I can actually think of about a half dozen uses that... :)
Yep - they are pretty cool. I’ve used them for a number of things.

Funny thing about finding them on Amazon - I could not find them no matter what words I searched on.
I logged out and the next time I logged in, Amazon helpfully suggested that link.

The last time I used an ECV and crutches, the crutch holders that came with the ECV simply didn't work. Every few minutes on the first day, I would hear my crutches falling out of the holder and onto the pavement. For the rest of the trip, I simply carried them between my legs, angled back with the top resting against my shoulder, and it really wasn't a problem at all. They didn't get in my way like I thought they might. I guess the moral of my story is, even if all your other plans for them fail, it really isn't a big deal.

Yep - they are pretty cool. I’ve used them for a number of things.

Funny thing about finding them on Amazon - I could not find them no matter what words I searched on.
I logged out and the next time I logged in, Amazon helpfully suggested that link.

"Helpfully" you say... LOL sometimes Amazon creeps me out *just a bit* LOL

I've had a hip surgery, and while I'm getting around decently, I know I can't walk the parks. MIL has an EVC that I will be borrowing for the trip (we are driving down), but I'm not sure what to do with my crutch. I have two, but I'm getting around decently with one, so only bringing one. I have tried using a cane, but I don't feel as secure as I do with the crutch.

I have looked at different holders for a crutch, but it doesn't seem like any will work with the EVC. It's is a pride mobility celebrity x, so there isn't a good spot across the back to put a holder (or make one with PVC). My crutch is about 5ft tall, and I'm nervous about it wobbling back and forth. The best solution DH and I have found is it fits perfectly under the seat and onto the foot rest. It sticks out in the front about 3 inches. Would that be a problem? Any other solutions? It does fold in half, but it's not the easiest to fold down. We also thought maybe a deep backpack on the back could hold it if it was folded. We will be there for two weeks, first off site, and the second on site.

I know that bungee cords may not be popular with many folks, but that is what I use.

I use a bungee net on my wheelchair.

On my mobility scooter, I use bungee cords, but I measured the distance from the back of my seat for one metal armrest elbow to the other side with the metal armrest elbow.

I didn't want to get a bungee cord too long so that everything would slide out.

I didn't want to get a bungee cord top short so that it was too tight and too hard to attach and undo.

This works for my cane or walker.

For my mobility scooter, I measured the distance under my seat from the metal seat post to the back of my seat for my cane and two for my walker. This kept the cane and walker from flopping around. I made a loop around the seats metal post and cane and back around the metal post to attach both end together of the same ends of the bungee cord.

I used two bungee cords to attach to the bottom legs of the walker.

I didn't like the idea of buying a hitch type device to put on the back of my mobility scooter because it stuck out too far in my opinion.

Everyone has good suggestions. Just choose the one that works best for you.

I get velcro (the kind that sticks to itself)--two pieces long enough to go completely around the front of the scooter (horizontally)--put one near the top and one hear the bottom---Place your crutch down between the scooter and the velcro "loops"---the velcro is very lightweight and goes in my backpack or suitcase--this is how I secure my cane so it's not falling all over. And other tip--get a large doorstop for those times you might be coming or going to the room by yourself--those doors are heavy but I can park the scooter, open the door, secure it with the doorstop, drive in, take out the doorstop with very little trouble.

I figured I would come back to update on how we did. Due to the size of my crutch, we tried several options, but we couldn't ever get it to attach to the back without it slipping, moving, or just being in the way. I ended up putting the handle under my seat and allowing the end to rest on the footrest at the front. It stuck out a few inches, but with the basket on the front, it didn't stick out past that. I only had once in two weeks when someone ran into it, but they ran into the whole steering column, not just the crutch (it just tripped them up a bit). To clarify, I was parked, talking to DH, when they walked into me lol. He started to get mad at me and I just told him that I was sitting still, so he in effect ran into a parked car. That cooled him off and he and his wife started laughing and walked on. I know that solution may not work for everyone, but it worked for us.

I only had once in two weeks when someone ran into it, but they ran into the whole steering column, not just the crutch (it just tripped them up a bit). To clarify, I was parked, talking to DH, when they walked into me lol. He started to get mad at me and I just told him that I was sitting still, so he in effect ran into a parked car.

Doesn't matter. Still your fault. You should have known that at some point while you weren't moving, this complete stranger would need to walk exactly in that spot :D

Just one thing to keep in mind, if your ECV breaks down while at the parks, you will have to get it to the front of the park and back to the room/car. If you rent from someone like Gold Mobility, they will come to you anywhere within the park if something does go wrong.

Personally, even if I did have a personal ECV, I would still speed the $250 for that peace of mind alone, as neither my wife nor I could physically push it out of the park. Given the cost of going to Disney World, it seems a small price to pay for the peace of mind to me. But everyone has to make their own decisions on what is best for them.

I'm so glad you brought this up, thank you! I'm considering buying my own ECV, and I was feeling a little guilty that I won't get to do it before WDW, and I have to rent an ECV instead of buy beforehand and bring my own. Now I feel so much better about the idea of renting one at WDW even if I did buy one beforehand. Yes, the peace of mind of them coming to me (especially since I'll be solo-not a good pusher) is worth it to me.

I know I'm going back and forth on whether to take my new scooter or now to WDW. There are pros (save money) and cons (hassle of transporting, possible damage, what if it breaks).

I know I'm going back and forth on whether to take my new scooter or now to WDW. There are pros (save money) and cons (hassle of transporting, possible damage, what if it breaks).

For us, it was worth it to take our own.

1) We drove, so had room for it and didn't have to worry about it at the airport. However, we have flown with this same EVC (it's MIL's and she uses it on vacation), and we would have had no problem with it.
2) We just put brand new batteries in it and had it checked over for issues.
3) It saved us the money over renting one.
4) We didn't have to worry about scratching it or damaging a rental.
5) Ours is very comfortable.

For us, it was worth it to take our own.

This is what I am leaning towards as I won't need a wheelchair in the airport either. Mine is brand new (only a month or so old) so I don't anticipate any issues. And if there are I will deal with it! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!