Holiday Inn Orange Lake Thread

My delving into the Elite ownership for HICV members shows that there is a big difference from WBC owners. It does not look like HICV owners get a discount within a short period of stay. They have something they call MaxTime offers that are limited. They don't get the 35-50% points discount like Wyndham gives. It looks like their largest discounts are when they book from 8-10 months out which is a 25% discount on points + free upgrade (Elite members).

As for the lazy river and interpretting what greenclan67 has stated, anyone can use they lazy river. If you do not have the Play Pass, you cannot use a tube in the lazy river. The lazy river also does not allow the use of noodles. Basically, if you don't have a Play Pass, your only option is to swim the lazy river.

My delving into the Elite ownership for HICV members shows that there is a big difference from WBC owners. It does not look like HICV owners get a discount within a short period of stay. They have something they call MaxTime offers that are limited. They don't get the 35-50% points discount like Wyndham gives. It looks like their largest discounts are when they book from 8-10 months out which is a 25% discount on points + free upgrade (Elite members).

As for the lazy river and interpretting what greenclan67 has stated, anyone can use they lazy river. If you do not have the Play Pass, you cannot use a tube in the lazy river. The lazy river also does not allow the use of noodles. Basically, if you don't have a Play Pass, your only option is to swim the lazy river.
Yes, exactly, I did March reservations today for myself so I could get my free upgrade. It works the opposite of most, closer to the date, unless it is someone that owns that week or is booked and can't go then you will get a discount last minute, but most owners put Pointe Shield on it, and most owners take a non refundable deposit, because no matter what we have to pay the $59.00 reservation fee, and he is right about what I was saying with the pool, and noodles.

most owners take a non refundable deposit, because no matter what we have to pay the $59.00 reservation fee, and he is right about what I was saying with the pool, and noodles.
Yay!!! I am slowly learning about Orange Lake. Information is simply limited compared to WBC. Outside of DIS, there are limited reviews. Almost all negative reviews are from people that took a cheap vacation and had to go through 20-layers of slick salesmen at the "timeshare tour".

Would be nice to start an "Unofficial Official Orange Lake" thread. I do hope to have a ton more information, pictures, and videos come the start of July. I think we will be enjoying quite a bit of the resort the more crowds build. By that week we will be going in the morning, hit everything we want, then back to OL for the rest of the day and night. If we do go back to a park it will be for fireworks and pin trading mostly.

I do have a Play Pass question. If we buy the 3 Day Play Pass and then want to upgrade to the 7 Day Pass, do they allow you to upgrade or are you just stuck?

@BigredNole , I just noticed your ticker that you are spending a week @ WBC and a week at OL. A 2 week vacation at 2 different resorts!! That is WONDERFUL !!!! I know Orange Lake is on my list this year...not sure about WBC since we have spent the last 2 years there. Thinking of trying something different....BUT....if I get a good deal like I got last year for WBC there will be no complaints for us to return again!!!! :thumbsup2

Now I am REALLY looking forward to YOUR vacation !!! Can't wait to see and hear all about it !!!! :yay:

I just noticed your ticker that you are spending a week @ WBC and a week at OL.
Yes, Forth of July week I will be able to give my unbiased opinion. I just hope I can compare it to itself and not WBC.

Last edited:
I have stayed at both.....I like them both. The one thing for me, was that Orange Lake had something for everyone. Arcades in every village, Swampy's Adventures, Dive in Movies, Movies in the Clemintine room daily, Bingo ($5.00 for 6 cards and if busy you can win $250) Bars, I like that we can order drinks, food, all poolside. Every village is different, I like each village for different things, I like West, because so much goes on all the time, sunset celebration, the music, live and dj, karaoke, 2 pools right close together, great vibe and atmosphere, drive up units, golf, bean bag toss, poolside trivia. I like North next, again, I love the pool area, no hot tub in North so for us going in winter it is a must. East is very very quiet, and doesn't particularly have lots or anything going on. But this is why people with no children like going to East, River Island, again, I like it, but honestly we go there maybe 2 or 3 times in a 2 week period, much too busy for me. We like ice cream at River Island exchange, or the take out food there, but it is always busy on a hot day. My girls are 15 & 17 now, so we don't stay in River Island anymore, we did when they were younger because it was nice for them to go back up to room if we wanted to stay at the pool, (10 & 12 ish) now they jump on the shuttle themselves if they want to go there.
Anyhow, BC was great for Disney, again we don't do Disney anymore, but I did enjoy our stays there when we did Disney, it is a beautiful resort. I still feel that Orange Lake has a little more over BC, but that's because my family loves it. We are doing a split stay through our timeshare at Christmas, a week at Orange Lake and 5 days at St. Pete's Beach at Tradewinds.

I have not seen this anywhere noted yet, but there is a $7.95/night resort fee. I did not realize that there was a fee for this resort. That'll be another $56 tacked on to the week. The Play Pass is $35 for 3-days or $50 for 7-days (per person). Looking at what is included in the Fun Zone, it is mini golf, Hippo slide, and sand volleyball. Sand volleyball no longer interests me which leaves the Hippo slide as the price difference ($15 for mini golf; add in $35 more just for the Hippo slide). I guarantee you that the Hippos slide is not worth $5 per day and I have never been there. I could see myself buying the 7-day $50 pass for my DD. I would only get the mini golf pass for DW and I @ $15.

For us, the additional fees would be $50 (DD), $15 each for DW and I, and $56 for resort fees. This is a $136 addon. Not that this is a big deal, it will make me think a little on how much I do spend at the facilities there vs bringing my own beverages.

***Note: Fun Zone may also include the bungee trampoline and rock climbing wall. The Orange Lake site is not specific on it. It simply states the Fun Zone as The Hippo slide, mini golf, and sand volleyball.

If you rent through an owner there is NO resort fee, only if you book it online. No charge for shuffle board, or sand volley ball. Honestly again, if you are not planning on hanging out at River Island ALL day, the play passes are just not worth it. We have never ever bought them. We have had them given to us, and still not used them. We do buy the mini putt pass. But the only thing that isn't at River Island is the 2nd mini putt which is in West Village. So to get your moneys worth out of a day with wristband, you would have to spend the day at River Island. You can also pay to rent just the tube for the day, I believe $9.00 or buy 3 turns down the hippo slide and so on. There is more then enough to do without the added expense. It is one of the complaints of owners, and rarely anybody buys them.

Thanks greenclan67. Will make an update on the thread I just spent an hour building. I am sure there will be changes I have to make there.

Not sure why Reunion is a nightmare. Everything I have seen and read have it as an excellent resort. Its just a bit farther from the parks.

I have not stayed there. However, I do know people that have. They have said the resort is excellent (and this from people with extreme champagne taste). Personally, I never trust TripAdvisor too much. Many of the reviews are from people that get that random phone call, answer it, get a 5-day vacation for $100, then are mad because they have to go to a timeshare spiel.

I would suggest on reading the Membership Guide for Holiday Inn Club Vacations.

http://holidayinnclub.com/pdf/2017_Member_Guide.pdf

Page 40 is where the membership benefits and how many points you own matter.

There are 4 Tiered Membership Level Benefits.

Preferred - 300,000 - 499,999 Club Points
Premier - 500,000 - 749,999 Club Points
Prestige - 750,000 - 999,999 Club Points
Elite - 1,000,000 Club Points or More

According to other Holiday Inn Club Vacations owners, resale points do not qualify. You can always purchase resale points and then buy a contract through the developer to get the benefits.

Owners with at least preferred memberships do get some perks which are a lot better than any timeshare points system out there. The ones that I use are the Complimentary resort stay and reservation upgrade at time of booking.

I have played with the online system, and you can book long periods of time with a upgrade. A studio to a 1 bedroom, a one bedroom to a 2 bedroom, a 2 bedroom to a 3 bedroom.

For a lot of snow birds out there, it is feasible stay there for months at a time.

I have never had an issue when I have stayed there.

Bugs , I don't like bugs in my living area.
I will bring my own can of raid. I will spray around the exterior of the doors and windows myself. That will insure nothing gets in. It is a subtropical climate. Bugs are natural. They also seek out sources of food. Obviously, if it is horrible you'd want a different unit. If you are already settled in, they have bug companies to take care of any issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter