"holiday to the Mickey Mouse" Pre-trip report Page 2: Autism and Special Needs

Rachandgarry

DIS Veteran
Hey there, hi there, ho there its a Disney kind of day.... here comes my first ever pre-trip report! This is page 2.

Link to Page 1
Link to Page3

The Who (not the band, obviously hehe)

Me: Rachel, 36. Fave attraction: Stitch Live, fave character: Sulley.
DH: Garry, 36. Fave attraction: will ask him tonight, but I think it will be Big Thunder Mountain, fave character: probably something obvious like Mickey Mouse lol!
DS: Matthew, 5 and 1/2. Has Autism, Learning Disabilities and Sensory Processing Disorder. Fave attraction: Its a small world. Fave character: Winnie the Pooh

The When: February 9th - 12th 2012

The Where: Sequoia Lodge

The How: By car from Bristol, on Eurotunnel, in one go.

The What: A last minute 3 night stay to surprise our DS who is absolutely desperate to go back! Takes after me I think!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

This is as good a place as any to tell you a little about DS's special needs, which will hopefully explain why we have to be so careful to avoid gift shops!! It probably looks like I'm spoiling him with all the gifts etc, but he is not bratty at all and he doesn't think the way mainstream children think, so I sometimes have to inject magic in other ways. Matthew has Autism. He has the Kanner or Classic variety, which (mostly) comes with little or no speech and communication. He does talk a little, but its hard to understand and it is generally only learnt phrases, rather than a constructed sentence. He doesn't understand questions - like if I said "are your shoes comfortable" he wouldn't understand me; he would hear the word shoes and probably take them off, assuming that is what I had said. Its difficult, and it is sad to see him hampered by the lack of communication. He can't be reasoned with, because he doesn't understand what you are saying. When we were at DLP last year, the first character he saw was Pluto and he ran up and cuddled him - it was so adorable. Pluto, very kindly picked Matthew up and cuddled him..... the downside is that from then on he expected every character to do it and because he can't understand language, we haven't been able to make him realise that it won't always happen like that. He tried to climb up the characters to make them cuddle him, which is a nightmare. His lack of language is very useful in one way though, he doesn't talk to the characters - so doesn't even think anything of it that they don't talk to him!

The "pick him up - how sweet - oh no!" incident:

IMG_0909.jpg

so cute though

IMG_0907.jpg

He can't see things from someone else's point of view, and has no sense of danger. If he sees something he wants, he will go straight for it - whether it is in a shop, or another child is playing with it. When we try to stop him, he throws a tantrum - and it is no ordinary tantrum. His Autism has given him incredible strength - of mind and of body. I can't restrain him now, he's too big and too strong. My DH can - just! He has severe learning disabilities and attends a special school.

Matthew also has Sensory Processing Disorder, which is where the signals received by his brain, from his senses, are received incorrectly. Like he will touch something hot but not realise it is hot. He'll climb very high on something but his brain doesn't receive the message that the body is high - so Matthew doesn't realise it. He will just step off something 20 ft in the air as if there is no distance at all. He doesn't receive correct feedback about how hard or soft something is if it touches him, or when he touches something else - so he doesn't feel pain properly - he dislocated his elbow and didn't even notice :scared1:. If he wants something, and there is resistance (from another child, or something is tied to a wall etc) he just keeps pulling because he doesn't feel the intensity. At the clinic a few months ago, he wanted to play with a toy outside the room we were in with the sensory therapist - and the door was locked. He kept pulling and my DH tried to pull him away but couldn't. After about 10 minutes you'd think he'd give up and just sulk - but no, he just pulled harder - and rather than the lock on the door breaking, the whole door frame came away from the wall - he broke it clean off. It can be a completely nightmare, because he causes a danger to himself and those around him if he is not supervised really carefully.

With this in mind, going in to crowded gift shops where he just wants everything is a total no-no. He just pulls everything off the shelf and starts taking it out of boxes etc - to stop him is really hard, and he ends up having a wriggly fit on the floor - where there just isn't room to do that. We pick him up and take him out of the shop but he will scream and cry for an hour or more and nothing will distract him.

Last year, before we'd really experienced how traumatic the park shops were going to be, we let him go in to the toy shop on Main St, and I stayed outside ready to take a photo of him as he came out, hopefully beaming with delight about his new purchase.... this is what actually happened, and as you can see he has no toy - he'd behaved so badly that he'd lost his priviledge.

IMG_0380-1.jpg

:eek:

He also can't wait. He doesn't understand it - he can't tell when it is 'waiting' and when it 'is not happening' so he just assumes as soon as something doesn't happen right away, that it isn't going to happen at all - and that is what he reacts to. Imagine going in to the park and then thinking that you weren't going to be allowed on any ride at all. You'd be devastated.

He is also still in nappies, with no sign of realising that he needs changing etc. He doesn't sleep full nights, and doesn't eat many foods and is spoon fed still.

We can't do proper sit down restaurants because he won't sit still long enough and just wants to get up and run off. He also won't eat anything from restaurants (this is a child who refuses to eat pizza, chips, chicken nuggets, beefburgers, cake, any vegetable, any fruit - basically anything other than food I've made or Heinz spaghetti in a can, he'll eat any variety of that though; hoops, numbers, spaghetti and sausages lol). We have tried to change this, but he would literally starve himself as his brain doesn't receive the message that he is hungry. Food for Matthew is a conscious decision - he won't just eat something because he is hungry. If he 'knows' he likes it he will eat it, but if not then he won't. I hate that we can't eat in places like Walt's, Annette's and the Rainforest Cafe anymore . We have to heat his spaghetti up in microwave at the hotel and put it in a food flask, then take it in to the park with us and feed him while we have something really quick like Bella Notte or Colonel Hathi's.

It isn't his fault, per se, this is part of the Autistic way his brain is wired. It is also not our fault - it isn't the result of bad parenting or neglect. We do everything we can to help him cope and find his way in the world but we don't accept bad behaviour, violence or rudeness and we make him say please, thank you and sorry where appropriate. I hate obnoxious rude pushy children, and never ever let Matthew behave this way. He tries, of course, because he doesn't know its wrong - but we don't let him. Waiting, sharing and limitations are, however, part of life and he has to realise that. It may take us a long while but hopefully one day we will get through to him, and in the meanwhile we just have to nurture him and make sure we give lots of positive praise and reinforcement of his good behaviour.

Because of Matthew's disabilities, which, although you can't see any of them when you look at him, are considered severe, he has a blue badge. This also means that at Disney parks we are able to have an Easy Access card, which allows Matthew and 1 or 2 carers to go on rides with a shorter wait than otherwise would be. In some rides, you just join the fast pass queue, and on others you go to the exit and the CM gets you on the ride when you can. People often look at us as if to say "well what the hell??" and I can completely understand that - but Matthew panics after 1 - 2 minutes waiting, if we had to queue normally we'd never be able to go. When there is a short line, we do queue and make him wait - if he never has to do it he'll never get used to doing it. Its about finding the compromise where we can help give him tolerance, and making a vacation in to boot camp for him!

I've probably made him seem like a complete monster and he isn't. Everyone who meets him absolutely adores him - he's sweet, kind, helpful and so affectionate - but that is because of how well we manage him. Hence why the minutia planning is important, so we get everything right and limit the opportunities for us to have a meltdown. We want to see him have a wonderful holiday, but we also want to minimise the negative behaviour for our sanity, and of those around us. I used to worry that we were making a rod for our own back, or just 'giving him what he wants/demands' but I don't think we are - if anything we are harder on him than most are, because we are so aware of how his behaviour can look!

Enough of talking about this, I'm even boring myself lol. I promise the rest of the pre-trip report will be much more fun and exciting, but I just wanted to tell you about his special needs so I don't look like I'm just pandering to a precocious child!

Right, next page will be all about the in-room decoration I have planned ;)

I dont think he sounds like a monster at all I think it is really good of you for being the parent you are like you said you dont just give in and you dont just avoid all situations as he does have to learn I want to say I have so much respect for you as being a parent is hard enough with all the choices you have to make at the best of times! I am so excited about your next update! x

He sounds like a lovely boy.

Our son is severely autistic/non verbal and like you we enjoy taking him to places where he can enjoy himself.

We have a blue badge also and have taken him so far to Florida 7 times and Disneyland Paris once.

Joshua also doesn't really understand danger but his patience levels have improved over the years.

You sound like great parents.

He sounds like a lovely boy.

Our son is severely autistic/non verbal and like you we enjoy taking him to places where he can enjoy himself.

We have a blue badge also and have taken him so far to Florida 7 times and Disneyland Paris once.

Joshua also doesn't really understand danger but his patience levels have improved over the years.

You sound like great parents.

Hi,

Thank you for saying that, it really means a lot. :hug:

Is that Joshua in the photo in your signature? Beautiful picture...

Rachel x

Hi,

Thank you for saying that, it really means a lot. :hug:

Is that Joshua in the photo in your signature? Beautiful picture...

Rachel x

Yes Rachel it is, the one on the right he was 10 months old , his first visit to Florida, on the left more recent.
Thanks. :hug:

I can recognise with what you say about Matthew, similarities with Joshua.
He doesn't really understand Disney as such but does enjoy going on holidays there and the rides especially.

We have only been to DLRP the once as I said earlier, a change from Florida, partly as we find the long flight so hard now with him, the Eurostar was so much easier.

Your reports are smashing and he is a lovely, handsome little chap.

I always try and respond to anyone's posts about autism as I think it's nice when people do, especially as I can relate a lot to what you say.

I had to smile at the picture of your other half carrying your son out of the gift shop...the amount of times we've carried our son out of places in the exact same way after he's had a meltdown somewhere!

I swear I have one arm stronger than the other!

you have a wonderful sweet child :lovestruc

And I do think that most kids turn into little monsters as they don't get what they want right now :lmao:

im near crying here, but i will tell you why. my 2 year old son, its like you just described him in detail. he is being assesed at the end of this month for autism and i know that he is. and the food thing, my son hardly eats, and when we are out, people must think im straving him, its good to know that its tied in with the austism.
and that photo of your hubby carrying your son like that, thats how i have to carry mine, he goes all heavy and limp when he doesnt want to move, and the strength he has, oh my!!

your son looks like a wee gem, enjoy him x

im near crying here, but i will tell you why. my 2 year old son, its like you just described him in detail. he is being assesed at the end of this month for autism and i know that he is. and the food thing, my son hardly eats, and when we are out, people must think im straving him, its good to know that its tied in with the austism.
and that photo of your hubby carrying your son like that, thats how i have to carry mine, he goes all heavy and limp when he doesnt want to move, and the strength he has, oh my!!

your son looks like a wee gem, enjoy him x

Thanks, I do love him to bits - we didn't think we could have children so he was a bit of a miracle baby - sometimes I think I'm going to explode because I just love him so much. (Then 10 minutes later he does something that pushes my buttons and it is anger and aggravation that make me feel like exploding lol!)

Good luck with your assessment :lovestruc:hug: Its so hard when you have that gut feeling isn't it. If there's any way I can help, please pm me any time.

Rachel x

I've really enjoyed reading this. I have a disabled son too (also a Matthew!) although his disabilities are physical. My experience of autism is with a very close friend, who has 2 autistic sons, one of whom sounds very much like your boy.
I LOVED seeing the photos, especially the one of him getting a cuddle! I hope you have a good and relatively peaceful trip, and look forward to hearing about it!

What a lovely little boy you have - that photo with Puto is fab, but what a shame it caused you some difficulties later down the line. He's a lucky little boy to have loving, caring, sensible parents who are giving him fab exeriences while trying to build his tolerance levels where possible. And the gift shop thing - I think we all go through that!

Yes Rachel it is, the one on the right he was 10 months old , his first visit to Florida, on the left more recent.
Thanks. :hug:

I can recognise with what you say about Matthew, similarities with Joshua.
He doesn't really understand Disney as such but does enjoy going on holidays there and the rides especially.

We have only been to DLRP the once as I said earlier, a change from Florida, partly as we find the long flight so hard now with him, the Eurostar was so much easier.

Your reports are smashing and he is a lovely, handsome little chap.

I always try and respond to anyone's posts about autism as I think it's nice when people do, especially as I can relate a lot to what you say.

Does Joshua know who the characters are, i.e. from the films? Matthew won't watch anything other than the Baby TV channel so won't even watch the Cars film :-( He knows the main characters, probably from toys and stuff - but its so hard because there is no context there. Joshua is gorgeous (in both pics, but especially the most recent one!) I find taking pics of Matthew really hard - he doesn't understand the concept of them, so won't stand where you ask him to, won't smile etc. It is so frustrating because I am really in to people-photos grrrrrrrrrrrr. I know, I know, take a mental picture etc...DH always reminds me of this lol

I had to smile at the picture of your other half carrying your son out of the gift shop...the amount of times we've carried our son out of places in the exact same way after he's had a meltdown somewhere!

I swear I have one arm stronger than the other!

:rotfl2: Thank god we're not the only ones. Sometimes we walk around and everyone is having these calm, beautiful conversations with their children whereas everything we say seems to be "no matthew!" "stand up matthew!" "no hitting, no kicking, no punching, no biting, no screaming, no crying, no alcohol before noon..." (oh wait, that last one is what I get told :lmao:) I hate being so negative all the time, but the more he challenges, the harder I find it to be supermum you know?

you have a wonderful sweet child :lovestruc

And I do think that most kids turn into little monsters as they don't get what they want right now :lmao:

Aw thank you. I am probably guilty of only noticing the good in other children, they all seem perfectly well behaved! I guess we don't see what goes on behind the scenes in other families, it might not be all sweetness and light :rotfl:

I've really enjoyed reading this. I have a disabled son too (also a Matthew!) although his disabilities are physical. My experience of autism is with a very close friend, who has 2 autistic sons, one of whom sounds very much like your boy.
I LOVED seeing the photos, especially the one of him getting a cuddle! I hope you have a good and relatively peaceful trip, and look forward to hearing about it!

Ahh, such a good name :thumbsup2. Thank you, so glad you enjoyed the pics. I can't wait to do the actual TR!!

What a lovely little boy you have - that photo with Puto is fab, but what a shame it caused you some difficulties later down the line. He's a lucky little boy to have loving, caring, sensible parents who are giving him fab exeriences while trying to build his tolerance levels where possible. And the gift shop thing - I think we all go through that!

That photo with Pluto, we also have a bit of it on video and I watched it back yesterday - it is absolutely incredible. Its Disney magic at its best... I just WISH there was a way I could explain to him that the characters can't pick him up like that anymore, he's a year older and a darn sight heavier now. We went to the mall last weekend, and the St Johns Ambulance stand was there, and they had a dressed up badger - Matthew ran straight up to it and cuddled it. Wouldn't let go, and tried to climb up for a cuddle. I was just about getting through to him that he's too big to be carried, when the damn badger picked him up!! :rotfl: DH and I looked at each other and just went "oh noooo!" lol.

So excited, can't wait to see how reacts this time and if he loves it as much. pirate:

believe me, in some way our child behaves like any other child. Both of my kids have been carried from a shop this way many times, both of them garb things they want and like, but they just cry out "I want this" and ask to buy. And turn into monster when not getting it. And they both are very picky eaters... And I usually choose dinner at home even if we have a chance to go out - it's too much trouble for me. So do not worry, other childen are not so all well behaved :goodvibes

believe me, in some way our child behaves like any other child. Both of my kids have been carried from a shop this way many times, both of them garb things they want and like, but they just cry out "I want this" and ask to buy. And turn into monster when not getting it. And they both are very picky eaters... And I usually choose dinner at home even if we have a chance to go out - it's too much trouble for me. So do not worry, other childen are not so all well behaved :goodvibes

Thank you for saying that, its nice to know that there's a little bit of monster in everyone's children! :hug:

Does Joshua know who the characters are, i.e. from the films? Matthew won't watch anything other than the Baby TV channel so won't even watch the Cars film :-( He knows the main characters, probably from toys and stuff - but its so hard because there is no context there. Joshua is gorgeous (in both pics, but especially the most recent one!) I find taking pics of Matthew really hard - he doesn't understand the concept of them, so won't stand where you ask him to, won't smile etc. It is so frustrating because I am really in to people-photos grrrrrrrrrrrr. I know, I know, take a mental picture etc...DH always reminds me of this lol

No not really, it's quite odd but he isn't really that into Disney in terms of characters etc
He also doesn't really move on from his traditional favourites very well, for instance he likes Blues Clues, Thomas & Friends, even the likes of Rosie & Jim, Tots TV from many many years ago. We have so many video tapes and DVDs you wouldn't believe, most of which he takes on holiday with his portable DVD player. :)

As for photos this is a contradiction I know because we have so many nice one's from our holidays and he always looks good, but he doesn't 'pose well' for pictures really, and hates it more as he gets older.
Like Matthew he doesn't understand the concept though he will every now and then take interest in some holiday photos on the computer, it's like familiar to him in a way. I am sure he remembers going on holiday when he see's them, but as he cannot talk he can't tell us, just smiles.

Also, and bearing in mind he has only been to DLRP once but Florida 7 times, he is a bit unpredictable sometimes on the rides. We have been at say Magic Kingdom one year and he loved going on a ride, next year we go he doesn't want to know.
It has taken us years to get him to dine out also.

No not really, it's quite odd but he isn't really that into Disney in terms of characters etc
He also doesn't really move on from his traditional favourites very well, for instance he likes Blues Clues, Thomas & Friends, even the likes of Rosie & Jim, Tots TV from many many years ago. We have so many video tapes and DVDs you wouldn't believe, most of which he takes on holiday with his portable DVD player. :)

As for photos this is a contradiction I know because we have so many nice one's from our holidays and he always looks good, but he doesn't 'pose well' for pictures really, and hates it more as he gets older.
Like Matthew he doesn't understand the concept though he will every now and then take interest in some holiday photos on the computer, it's like familiar to him in a way. I am sure he remembers going on holiday when he see's them, but as he cannot talk he can't tell us, just smiles.

Also, and bearing in mind he has only been to DLRP once but Florida 7 times, he is a bit unpredictable sometimes on the rides. We have been at say Magic Kingdom one year and he loved going on a ride, next year we go he doesn't want to know.
It has taken us years to get him to dine out also.

That sounds exactly like Matthew, the not watching films, the old favourites, the photos, memories etc. Its like a guessing game isn't it. Something about Matthew's quietness makes me look harder to see how he's feeling, and I don't miss as much as I do with my goddaughter for example who's always chatting. That probs makes no sense lol!

This will only be Matthew's second trip, so I'm very interested to see how predictable (or not!) he is with his choices...

So can you dine out now? How did you manage it?

That sounds exactly like Matthew, the not watching films, the old favourites, the photos, memories etc. Its like a guessing game isn't it. Something about Matthew's quietness makes me look harder to see how he's feeling, and I don't miss as much as I do with my goddaughter for example who's always chatting. That probs makes no sense lol!

This will only be Matthew's second trip, so I'm very interested to see how predictable (or not!) he is with his choices...

So can you dine out now? How did you manage it?

Essentially we put ourselves in a position where we had to, most of our Florida holidays have been in an off site villa where you have a full kitchen.
However, last year at our first DLRP holiday staying at Hotel New York we just had a room, so we dined at some restaurants within the Disneyland Park, though we had a trick up our sleeve....took his DVD player, he will go anywhere if we have that.:)

Ahh... we're taking Matthew's with us this trip, so we might try that at breakfast and see how we go. The breakfast buffet is so yummy and we like to fill up so we don't need a big lunch, but its proved impossible with Matthew. This might be a way round that... Thanks for that idea!!

xx

Ahh... we're taking Matthew's with us this trip, so we might try that at breakfast and see how we go. The breakfast buffet is so yummy and we like to fill up so we don't need a big lunch, but its proved impossible with Matthew. This might be a way round that... Thanks for that idea!!

xx

Welcome, I think sometimes it's just pushing the boundaries a little, knowing what he can cope with.

xx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter