holy cow - florida weather is worse than Texas..what's a girl to do?

I'm from Texas too and we are leaving on Tuesday next week! I've never been to Disney during the winter so I have no idea what to expect. I thought it would be cold because we went for Thanksgiving almost 10 years ago and I remember it being so cold. But now I'm watching the holiday vlogs and everyone is in short sleeve shirts. Planning on just packing lots of versatile outfits and layers and hope for the best. Hope you have a great trip!

The thing about Disney is that temps that seem fine at home seem colder there since you're outside so much of the time. Also, I wore shorts and a tee on the Friday after Thanksgiving because it was supposed to be in the upper 60s/low 70s, but it never got that warm and I ended up buying a $50 sweatshirt at Epcot. Doh!

Definitely pack layers. The weather is just so unpredictable!

I live in an area (eastern NC) where it's not unusual for it to be in the 30's when I get up in the morning, and 70 by the time I leave work in the afternoon. Either that, or the day will start out mild, it'll rain, and the temperature drops 30 degrees in an hour. Or it's 75 degrees one day, and three days later there is snow and ice everywhere.

Our temps for Disney (17th-20th) look pretty mild and consistent right now on the 10-day forecast, but I know that can obviously change. As long as it doesn't rain out any of our evening entertainment (MVMCP, JBJB Dessert Party, Candlelight Processional), I'll be happy. I can deal with cold. Cold rain? Not my favorite (which is exactly what we've got going on here at home right now).

One word: layers. We've been there this time of year and we've experienced everything from high 50's to high 80's, sometimes on the same trip. And don't believe the forecast before you go. Expect it to trick you into believing one thing and packing for that only to have it suddenly change on you two days in. Makes packing more interesting and can take up more space than you'd like, but you'll be happier.

Of course, weather that is too hot or too cold for how you are dressed is, for us, an excuse to spend more time in the shops, lounges, in the pool or hot tub, in a resort, or finding something to do inside somewhere. It's often introduced us to places we hadn't bothered previously investigate. But seriously: layers.

Layers are your friend during winter in Florida. We tend to cycle from hot to cold about every ten days or so, which means shorts one day, and a couple days later, jacket and gloves.

Totally agree about not trusting the weather forecast as well. It’s just as possible that the front will lift north as it is that it will come south. I take an “I’ll believe it when I see it” attitude when it comes to weather in the winter.

oh a note to save your wallet.... if you're on property with no way to get off,and it gets cold, you'd better be prepared.... I've noticed that a t-shirt is kind of pricey, but a sweatshirt or gear to keep warm is astronomically priced! They know what most people expect weatherwise,and neglect to pack.... (like $10 for a pair of dollar store stretch gloves!)

That happened to me one trip! It was actually October, surprisingly, and the forecast called for temps in the 90s. I had brought mostly sleeveless tops and shorts and sandals, and then the temperature dropped about 25 degrees overnight. I was scrambling around trying to find warm clothes, and ended up spending about $12 for one pair of warm socks! And, I refused to buy a $70 Disney sweatshirt, so I had to do some creative layering. Now, even when I go during usually hot times of year, I usually bring at least one set of warm clothes, including warm socks, gloves, and a sweatshirt.

To me, 45-50 degrees in FL can sometimes feel colder than those temps at home because of the higher humidity- damp cold just feels chillier, especially if it includes a day or longer rain spell. We have hit some pretty chilly evenings in FL in Feb and March, and even though we came from below freezing temps at home, we were pretty darn cold in the evenings if we forgot jackets! My hubby thought that those temps would be just fine, as he loves 50 at home, but that trip he bought his first Disney hoodie:cold:!

Texas_Snow_1280x720_20282437997.jpg

Looks like it’s snowing in Texas now, so Florida might seem warm

I just got back yesterday. We were there Nov 26 and left Dec 6. I wore shorts and light weight capris and short or 3/4 sleeved t-shirts every day. The weather got quite hot for about 3 hrs every day and once we got about 100 raindrops. I always took a very thin hoody with me and I only wore it a couple of evenings. But, I had packed thin gloves, thicker capris, jeans, one warmer hoody (I had to wear my jeans and this hoody anyhow, coming from Canada) and a rain poncho. I also took a very thin long sleeved merino wool shirt. I wish you could have the good weather that we had! :flower1: Layers is certainly the way to go.

Yea, this time of year you have to pack just about everything. 60's is still shorts weather though so you will at least get to wear some of them.

Brrr! 60's is not shorts weather for me :) But that's why I'd pack capris for a winter trip, along with pants. I've had two trips to WDW be a bit colder than expected. The first one I was in high school over Christmas break and had only two pairs of pants with me. Oh, those awful red overalls that I wore! So many photos of me in those red overalls, ugh! Second trip was a March one, and it got unseasonably cold - so I got to buy a new WDW sweatshirt :) But I did freeze in my capris in 50-60'F overcast weather. The only time I don't pack layers now is when we go in August. Then I pack two days worth of clothing for each day because we sweat so much, LOL!

That happened to me one trip! It was actually October, surprisingly, and the forecast called for temps in the 90s. I had brought mostly sleeveless tops and shorts and sandals, and then the temperature dropped about 25 degrees overnight. I was scrambling around trying to find warm clothes, and ended up spending about $12 for one pair of warm socks! And, I refused to buy a $70 Disney sweatshirt, so I had to do some creative layering. Now, even when I go during usually hot times of year, I usually bring at least one set of warm clothes, including warm socks, gloves, and a sweatshirt.
we have some of those $12 socks:rotfl2:

Exactly that. Can you imagine the price of outfitting an entire family for unexpected cold weather?

I would pack layers as many have said. Better to have it and not need it then have to go out and find it. I was at Universal one time and it was really cold and they sold out on plain scarves. I was being stopped and asked where I got mine. Also keep in mind that you will be outside most of the day.

On disney they do have sweatshirts and will pull out the gloves and scarves as the temps dip but they are pricey. Hopefully the rain will clear out. I am fine with cold as long as the sun is around. but gloomy and cold oh heck no

Texas_Snow_1280x720_20282437997.jpg

Looks like it’s snowing in Texas now, so Florida might seem warm

I live in NW Houston not far from Tomball and we woke up this morning to over 2 inches of snow on the ground. It was beautiful!

We did a trip to Orlando (although to Universal) a couple years ago in February. The day we arrived started chilly and got to cold after the sun went down and the breeze kicked up. What I found out quickly was that light fleece jackets alone do NOT work well against the wind chill. I had a light windbreaker which worked well over the fleece and a fleece and sweatshirt layered look worked well also. PLUS I ALWAYS have a pair (or two) of the light stretchy gloves with me - so you don't have to keep taking them on and off every time you need to do something.

I know a lot of people complain about the heat when going to WDW in the summer, but we go every year at the end of August and one of the things I love is the heat and not just the heat itself, but knowing that all I need are shorts or skirts and t-shirts for the entire time. Never have to think about if I need to layer clothes, long pants or short, etc... I think I would lose my mind trying to plan clothing for a range of temp from 30s to 70s in a single week.
Amen to this. Never thought that I was a heat person until we went and it was really cold, now I love our beginning of September trips, way easier to pack!

We live in NW Houston as well. Woke the kids up at midnight to play in the snow :)

My 'grandpup' lives in NW Houston - he hasn't seen snow since they moved out there over two years ago. He loves snow, and is so happy when he gets to romp in it!

Layers!!!!! :crazy::goodvibes The only time we go that I am certain I know what to wear is end of June through mid Sept.... always HOT then. Any other time.... plan on layers.
Especially December through beginning of April.... I will pack everything from long pants, fleece, gloves and hats.... to shorts and sleeveless T's!!!
LAYERS!!
Just like here in Ohio..... it can go from 75 degrees to 30 degrees in a matter of less than 12 hours! we are used to layers at all times! haha....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!