Homeschooled child concern

nile455

<font color=green>Have you met the Monsters of the
Someone very close to me has been home-schooling her 12 year old daughter this year after an issue with bullies last year. It seems like she lets her wake up whenever she wants (sometimes as late as 11:00am!) on school days because, well, she doesn't have to get up for school. She's homeschooled! And she also lets her go on Facebook in the middle of the night. I just don't get it. She has the Facebook parental controls set right, but I always felt like Facebook should not be allowed for someone that age, and if it is allowed, to only be allowed in moderation and very limited use.

When I try and offer my opinion, the response is "she's getting straight A's, and is reading at a ninth grade level, yada yada".

Would this be concerning to anyone else?

Someone very close to me has been home-schooling her 12 year old daughter this year after an issue with bullies last year. It seems like she lets her wake up whenever she wants (sometimes as late as 11:00am!) on school days because, well, she doesn't have to get up for school. She's homeschooled! And she also lets her go on Facebook in the middle of the night. I just don't get it. She has the Facebook parental controls set right, but I always felt like Facebook should not be allowed for someone that age, and if it is allowed, to only be allowed in moderation and very limited use.

When I try and offer my opinion, the response is "she's getting straight A's".

WHY? It's her child. Does she ask your opinion? If not I would keep them to myself. Do you have children?

WHY? It's her child. Does she ask your opinion? If not I would keep them to myself. Do you have children?
Maybe I should have phrased it like this: in your opinion, is this a good way to raise a child? Also the child is not in any social activities. I feel that is very bad.

That is one of the benefits of homeschooling to some families - it fits very nicely into a non-traditional schedule. Facebook is for old people (like me) now - she will be on to SnapChat in no time.
Right? I’m surprised she has Facebook, only because teens don’t even use Facebook anymore. My 14 years olds don’t have an account, and my 16 year old has a dormant account that I made her set up to share travel pictures with family members.

When I try and offer my opinion, the response is "she's getting straight A's, and is reading at a ninth grade level, yada yada".

You can be more liberal with a home school schedule, so would not concern me.

Works for them, works for me. Some kids are natural night owls and the school schedule is actually hard on them. My high school/college age kids have adjusted to more "nocturnal" hours. Classes during the day, nap in the afternoon/early evening, up late studying. Rest again before classes.

There's actual documentation circulating now that the long stretch of sleep we know today is more of a modern invention. People would sleep a few hours, wake (stoke a fire), pray, write letters then go back to sleep for another stretch of a few hours before waking in the a.m.

And yea, I have a Facebook, some of my kids do, but they've moved on to Snap Chat and Instagram. I'm content with Facebook.

Again it is not my business. If she doesn't ask for your opinion, don't. I tell you I would GREATLY resent anyone who tried voice their opinion on how I raised my child. One shot at it, then you get erased from my circle.
Well if you really must know, that "circle" is family. And the child is my only niece.

Maybe I should have phrased it like this: in your opinion, is this a good way to raise a child? Also the child is not in any social activities. I feel that is very bad.
It's not how I would raise mine, but that doesn't mean it's good or bad.

Seems like you're overly concerned about how this family is raising this girl. Why?

ETA: OK, she's your niece. So what? Different strokes for different folks. Offer to keep the child over spring break to give the parents a break. Wake her up at 7am and don't let her on the computer.

It's not how I would raise mine, but that doesn't mean it's good or bad.

Seems like you're overly concerned about how this family is raising this girl. Why?
Because she's my niece, and I'm concerned because she doesn't have any friends and is staying up all night on the computer. That wouldn't concern you at all?

No this would not be concerning to me at all. Who says school has to be from 8AM-3PM? A kid can learn just as much waking up at 11 as those who go to traditional school and wake up earlier. In fact, studies have shown that students do better when school starts later, so there's that.
The FB thing wouldn't concern me at all either.
You are making way too much out of things that aren't a big deal or any of your business. Unless the parents ask for your advice, keep it to yourself.

Because she's my niece, and I'm concerned because she doesn't have any friends and is staying up all night on the computer. That wouldn't concern you at all?
What are you concerned is going to happen? There is absolutely NO way you can approach the parents without them getting defensive. Do you have kids?

I know my family hasn't always agreed with our parenting decisions, but DW & I get to decide "what's right" for our family. Period. End of story.

While the blatant rule-breaking (IIRC, Facebook states you have to be at least 13) does kind of "activate my inner Sheldon," I see no problem at all with letting her daughter start lessons at 11:00 and finish later. If I had done homeschooling, one of the main reasons would have been to provide a schedule that better fit my son's natural circadian rhythm and our family's schedule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!