Homewood Suites/Hilton Extreme Sales Pitch

Luv Bunnies

DIS Veteran
We're going to DL for a few days before Thanksgiving and decided to try the new Homewood Suites. It seems to get great reviews here and on TripAdvisor. Part of my decision was based on needing a place with a larger parking lot that would allow us to park well before check-in time. I was concerned that a hotel with a smaller lot would not have space for us to park at 9:00 a.m. on check-in day. So I called the Homewood and was told that parking wouldn't be a problem, and we could even get into our room early if it was ready.

I ended up changing our dates by one day and went online to modify the reservation. I decided to call the hotel and make sure it went through correctly, and that our reservation now showed the correct dates in their system. After the agent confirmed that my reservation was all set, she quickly rattled off something that because I was a Hilton Honors member, I was eligible for 500 free points and discounts on future stays. She said she would transfer me so I could accept my "rewards."

That's when the extreme, slightly strong-armed sales pitch began. I had been transferred to an agent trying to sell Hilton timeshares. She said I would get the extra points just by listening to a description of their properties in either Las Vegas, Orlando, Hawaii, or New York. I said, "OK, tell me about Orlando." She read me the offer, $199 for three nights, and a 2-hour tour of their property. OK. Timeshare pitch. Not interested. I guess my mistake was trying to be polite. She went on trying to sell it, saying I would only have to pay the $199 today and I could use it anytime in the next six months. I said, "Nope. We're definitely not going to Orlando in the next six months." After more back and forth, she said, "OK, so I just have to close this call out. Would it be safe for me to say that you can't afford the $199 right now?" I think she was trying to offend me into buying it. I said, "No, I choose not to accept this offer right now but thanks anyway" and I hung up.

This kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about Hilton. I simply called to confirm a reservation. I was told I qualified for a promotion through Hilton Honors. Then I was given a hard-sell that turned kind of rude at the end. I should have hung up as soon as I realized it was about timeshares. But just a simple call like confirming a reservation should be quick and easy. I'm even considering finding another hotel, but most are booked for my dates. Anyone else have this kind of experience? Does the Homewood try to give you a timeshare pitch when you check-in?

I remember another recent thread about Hilton Honors members getting called and pitched similarly. I also noticed an increase in email(but i never open it). Let me try to find the thread.

Oh, man, these guys call me all the time. They even got my cell number somehow. Talk about ANNOYING!!!

We've stayed there several times without any sales pitch. They do increase their nightly rates if you try to make a change to your reservation and that bugs me.

We stay at HomeWood suites. Love it. Never had a call or a sales pitch in the hotel.

Yeah, I’d have hung up. :(

It happens with other hotels as well. Now you know to hang up ASAP next time. While I haven't see reports of an attempted timeshare sales pitch just be ready to say no if they ask if you want extra points or a discount. Should head off the problem if it even exists. (If you have a pushy person that keeps talking- WALK AWAY. Literally start ignoring their existence, take your key and leave.) But I really don't think it will be like that at all! I would 100% not be worried. Yes, you got (somewhat) had by their timeshare phone rep, it happens but now you know!

Wow, how annoying. I just stayed at an Embassy Suites earlier this week (owned by Hilton) in a SoCal city and on the last morning, someone called me to offer me a $199 3 night stay, good for up to a year for a property in a near by city. I said no thanks and hung up quickly. Seems like this is a recent pushy promo from Hilton. :-/

yes, I accepted the transfer. I did get the 500 points, but it was because I'd been through similar pitches and know now just to say "not interested" and not give a reason that they can argue with. But it does leave a bad taste. just don't hold it against Hilton. they obviously make serious money from it or wouldn't bother pushing it on their guests, and you know profit is what drives all these companies.

yes, I accepted the transfer. I did get the 500 points, but it was because I'd been through similar pitches and know now just to say "not interested" and not give a reason that they can argue with. But it does leave a bad taste. just don't hold it against Hilton. they obviously make serious money from it or wouldn't bother pushing it on their guests, and you know profit is what drives all these companies.

Yeah I suppose its not Hilton main company, its Hilton grand Vacations. I stay at Hilton properties all the time and have never personally had a bad experience. Sounds like DVC's evil stepchild:https://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/hilton_grand_vacations.html

Last edited:
I have been getting these calls from Hilton for about 2 years. I sounded interested the first time, because it was Hilton, seemed like it was a 'thank you' bonus, and I thought maybe it might be a nice little trip. When I told them I really couldn't use it, the pressure began. Had I known I'd get called relentlessly after, I would not have asked questions, LOL. After the first call, they never said who it was, just that "You recently stayed at one of our properties" and therefore I was getting this special offer. It's not until you ask which property that you find out it's Hilton, or their timeshare branch anyway. The calls have tapered off now but I still get a couple a month. I always just hang up.

I stay in other chains similar to Hilton (Marriott, etc) and have never gotten the pressure calls. I don't like that the Hilton group doesn't respect your request to be taken off their call list, either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!