Honest Request for info on Toronto Area

mickeysaver

<font color=blue>WINNER of the world's worst limer
My honey and I have been bouncing around the idea of a vacation other than Disney next year. We both are interested in Canada. Oddly enough, we don't know much about the place.

We are interested in getting married next year too. We have found all the info on how to get married in Canada. Since we have no idea of what Toronto is like, we are a bit thrown by how to make it all happen. We hope to turn this marriage in Canada into a vow renewal at WDW in a few years. I will have a Disney wedding one day!

Has anyone here got any information on how to make a quick trip to Canada turn into a vacation and a trip to meet a Justice of the Peace? We live in the Atlanta area. Most likely, we will drive up, since my honey is not thrilled with the idea of flying.

Thanks in advance for any help that you folks can be to us. Mickey

I did some looking and found this link: http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/faq/index.htm

To the right of the page it has a link too all the info you require regarding the actual ceremony. Once you've had a chance to look it over I'm sure many of us can help you with places to stay and visit.

Happy Planning!

Thanks for that link, it's one that I had not seen on the issue. I have printed off the marriage license application. I have no problem paying the fee for the license and the civil marriage. I need to know if there is anything good to do in Toronto?
I am not exactly a Blue Jays fan. But, if they are playing the Braves in early August next year, it might be cool to go.
What is there to do in Toronto?
Is the City Hall for Toronto near any hotels that are safe, clean, and air conditioned?

I guess this will start things off. Mickey

Hey Mickey :p The Sheraton Center is across the street from City Hall and a little further north (maybe 2 blocks) there is a Marriott which is attached to the Eaton Center (large shopping mall). There's also a Hilton which is a street behind the Sheraton... There's another hotel right around the corner from City Hall... I think it's called the Colony Hotel.

For about $35 US on Priceline you will get Marriott Eaton's Center.
Beautiful hotel, great service & great location! City hall is just out your window & everything in downtown Toronto worth seeing is walking, cab or even public transit close! Small indoor pool but the rooms are really nice. (parking $16 Ca per night) As for things to do, the list is endless, depends on what you like.

Hi!
Hope everything works out and you are able to plan a wedding in Toronto. As for things to see and do:
Ontario Place -- Park on the lake-- Imax movies
Casa Loma -- Castle/ mansion tour
Canada's Wonderland -- big theme park
Toronto Zoo
CN Tower --- great views on a clear day
Eaton Center -- shopping
Double Decker bus tours --- Hop on hop off deal
Niagara Falls for the day or even an overnight
Royal Ontario Museum
Art Gallery
Canadian National Exhibition -- last two weeks of August
St Jacobs --- just out of Toronto -- crafts and shopping
Theatre shows
Hockey Hall of Fame
Skydome -- baseball
Science Centre -- Imax movies
Check out this sight for more info:
http://www.torontotourism.com/
There's plenty to do, it's limited to what you want to do.
Good Luck

Thanks to all for the input. I am looking forward to this trip almost as much as our WDW vacation this December. j/k I am looking forward to it more. We want to get married on the day that marks our 5th year of engagement. Then, in another 5 years, we hope to do a vow renewal with all the bells and whistles at WDW. Now, that will be something!

I'm sure after we get passed our December vacation I will have many more questions as I try to make this trip happen. Thanks again for all the help you folks have given me. Mickey

I love Toronto. I think it is a really nice place to visit and there is plenty to do. We went for five days back in October 2001, and decided to go back for a week in June 2002 (only 9 months later). You must do a trip to Niagara and Niagara on the Lake (if you have the car at least you can drive to it). We stayed in the Colony right next to City Hall (the new one) and it was a great location. Only a matter of a five minute stroll from the Eaton Centre also. We walked on one crisp morning down to the harbour and the CN Tower. It is really easy to get around.

Hope your wedding plans come right!

John :bounce:

Oh, also, you must take a harbour cruise to the islands. Very picturesque. Also ride the red rocket! Ah, don't get me started... I'm feeling depressed being home already!

Depending on what time in August you may be able to catch the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition). It is a large fair type of thing. It has lots of shopping, things to eat, things to watch, and it will surely fill one day up. Harbour Front is an interesting place. We have a cool museum, and plently of other things to do here. Come andhave fun!

Wow! It sounds like we could easily spend 5 days in the Toronto area with plenty of things to see and do. Thanks for all the info folks. :D Mickey

All of the hotels mentioned above are great, but the Colony hotel is now closed. It has been bought by the University of Toronto, and is being converted into a student residence.

Toronto is like New York City but with a lot less crime and people. Toronto has all the life and atmosphere of NYC. Toronto is a clean city with character and culture. You will love it! S

Thanks again to for the input folks. It's nice to hear that we have chosen a place to visit with such a good reputation and a wide variety of things to see and do. I can't wait for August 2004! Mickey

One more thing, I don't think I've seen anyone mention:

We got married at City Hall, and they have a beautiful wedding chapel, and will customize the ceremony to your religious/non-religious needs.

Best Wishes!
Mort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter