Hong Kong Disney - stray observations

OldSchoolReasons

DIS Veteran
Visiting midweek is the way to go! We got lucky and it didn't rain all day. Hong Kong is without a doubt the wettest city I've ever been to and I'm from London. The combination of heat and humidity has ensured my hair has looked absolutely mental every single day.

The park is a nice, easily covered size and some of the back areas feel like world's away from the main hub of the park - Mystic Point and Grizzly Gulch especially. The mountain backdrop gives it a really whimsical feel too.

The other guests were super polite and I didn't see any queue jumping or other behaviour you hear nightmare stories about, in fact they're so much politer than the US parks.

The Toy Story land is the biggest and most organised of the three I've been to and there isn't that horrid bottle neck that occurs in Florida.

The rides were awesome. Mystic Manor is my favourite park attraction in the world! How do they achieve some of those special effects? How cute is Albert? Yep, I'm obsessed. I also liked Hyperspace Mountain a lot, it's much smoother than the US equivalents and Iron Man was a fun take on the Star Tours simulator format. I wasn't keen on Ant Man at all. Paint the Night was amazing, we watched from the train station platform (thanks Gelatoni Fan) and enjoyed perfect sightlines and nobody around us.

The best thing was the queues. The longest queue we had was 15 mins to meet Iron Man! We managed to walk up to lots of characters including Tigger and Donald so that was an added bonus. Most rides were at 5 mins all day. Lots of queues said "30 mins from this point" but then the queue was empty.

Also I hasn't seen this mentioned anywhere else but I didn't have any problems finding vegan food. I ate the black lentil curry set and the mushroom rice hotpot at Explorer's Club. The curry did come with paneer cheese but I just swerved that. Food portions were massive and fairly inexpensive too.

Getting there was really straightforward and Google Maps is incorrect when it says it's a 45 min walk to the gates from the station - it's right outside! 404305404306404307

Guests from Hong Kong and Japan tend to have more respect for lines than the typical American tourist. It's the mainland Chinese guests and Indians who do a lot of line cutting. When waits are under 15 minutes, there isn't too much craziness but during Chinese holidays when wait times get into the 60 minute territory, things can get out of control.

Glad the weather worked out for you. It rained quite hard on Monday (Moana and Flights of Fantasy got cancelled).

Guests from Hong Kong and Japan tend to have more respect for lines than the typical American tourist. It's the mainland Chinese guests and Indians who do a lot of line cutting. When waits are under 15 minutes, there isn't too much craziness but during Chinese holidays when wait times get into the 60 minute territory, things can get out of control.

Glad the weather worked out for you. It rained quite hard on Monday (Moana and Flights of Fantasy got cancelled).

I found about about mainland's love for line cutting the second I arrived at Shanghai airport and it was a free for all!

The weather was terrible for the 4 days except for the Disney day which was so nice

It's the mainland Chinese guests and Indians who do a lot of line cutting.
I was queuing for Dumbo when a group of Chinese just pushed to the front. One of the Chinese woman stepped on my foot and I shouted (in Cantonese) about her stepping on me and didn't say sorry, She turned around said sorry and went on to the front. LOL.

So IDK... are they from mainland China? I mean I shouted in Cantonese not Mandarin. May that mainland Chinese woman understood Cantonese.

I was queuing for Dumbo when a group of Chinese just pushed to the front. One of the Chinese woman stepped on my foot and I shouted (in Cantonese) about her stepping on me and didn't say sorry, She turned around said sorry and went on to the front. LOL.

So IDK... are they from mainland China? I mean I shouted in Cantonese not Mandarin. May that mainland Chinese woman understood Cantonese.

Since the bridge opened up, a lot more people from Zhuhai have been coming over and many do speak Cantonese. Their accents are a bit different, especially when speaking Mandarin.

@OldSchoolReasons sorry to be off topic, but had to guess based on your username...any chance you're an Alkaline Trio fan?

(also, thanks for your post -- I'm headed to HK next month!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!