Hong Kong vs. Tokyo Disneyland

Imdramayu

Earning My Ears
I'm debating whether to go to Hong Kong or Tokyo Disneyland with my 6-year-old in August 2010. What's the difference? Which is better?

Thanks. Im

Tokyo, Tokyo, Tokyo.

While I like HKDL there is really NO comparison...Tokyo all the way

Hong Kong is basically Disneyland "light" where as Tokyo Disneyland has 2 full size theme parks with tons of attractions, including DisneySea...IMO the nicest theme park in the world

there is no comparison.
Tokyo is amazing...

Hong Kong is barely a proper Disneyland

Tokyo is a fantastic Multi day resort, 2 theme parks both of which can take several days to see.

The Tokyo Disneyland Park (TDL) is based in the original Disneyland Park in California and Magic Kingdom in Florida. It features versions of many of the classic Disney attractions you'll find here like Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and many more, plus several attractions found only in TDL. It's famous amongst Disney fans for hosting the most lavish shows, parades and events of any Disney park anywhere in the world...

Next door to TLD is Tokyo Disneysea. a entirely new concept of theme park exclusive to Tokyo, whist a couple of the rides here are based on attractions from other Disney parks the majority of the park is unique. The Park is often referred to as the most beautiful Disney theme park anywhere in the world, largely because of it's HUGE design and build cost,

Tokyo itself is a wonderful and inspiring city with an amazing varied culture from the super modern to the ancient temple and heritage. In addition to this the Japanese people are IMHO the most welcoming and politest nation I have ever encountered.

Hong Kong Disneyland is, by contrast, still a very young resort. It only has one small park that requires one full day to see. Based on all the previous Disneyland parks, although most obviously inspired (at least in several architectural elements) by the original Disneyland Park in California. Most of its attractions are copies or retelling of those currently on offer in other Disney parks. Its visitor numbers are a small fraction of those found in the Tokyo Parks and this is evident in many areas, from the merchandise offerings to entertainment which is much more modest than that of Tokyo

Hong Kong City is again a unique destination full of culture and unique experiences. Although I feel it offers less variety and quantity diversions. Shopping here however is outstanding and vibrant.

The best answer I can give you is I have told some of my Disney friends “You must go to Tokyo, scrimp, save, beg and borrow, just GO!” whist of Hong Kong, I generally feel the park still has to grow and mature before I would recommend anyone travelling with the intention of going there as the main reason for their trip.

SW

I have been to hk Disneyland and it only takes a day to see it. I have also been told Tokyo is the one to see. Even my travel agent said next time we head to America to stop over at Disneyland Tokyo as it is something to see.
Now to save for Tokyo, Have a great trip.
After reading some of the comments looking forward to seeing Disneyland Anaheim for the first time. And i now know that i need to see every Disneyland park in the world:yay::yay::yay:

Surely there is no comparison? Tokyo Disneyland is a fully-formed resort that has been open for 27 years, while Hong Kong Disneyland has been open for less than five years and only has one park. :confused3

Hey, I'm brand new to the board, but I've been to Tokyo Disneyland/Disneysea, and just a few days ago I visited Disneyland Hong Kong.
Having been to both destinations, Tokyo wins hands down. Like everyone else has said, Tokyo is well developed and has some amazing unique attractions that no other parks have.
Hong Kong was better than I expected, but is still a newer park and lacks a lot of mid-level attractions and rides. Maybe in 5-10 years it will be worth more of a trip. I was in HK anyways so I knew I couldn't miss a Disneyland. However I wouldn't go out of my way to go to HK for it.

To the original poster - How was your trip? Did you go to TDR?

I ask as I have just booked for my 6ys old and myself to go to TDR in June. We previously went with our entire family and this will be our first time just my youngest son and I.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter