hopeful

for financials -- check out

http://www.dvctools.com/

Here's another chart that is slightly out of date -- but it should be helpful.

1zf3bma.jpg

there's a nice spreadsheet floating out there I will try and find...

*ETA -- here's a link...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...f22igEZwyA9rqUu34jM4A6Iro/edit#gid=1654218401

I don’t give much for that type of chart. It’s not that some of the info aren’t correct it’s just I don’t think I applies to most.

The opportunity cost alone doesn’t apply as if I hadn’t bought DVC I would not have invested the money I might have used it on another vacation or let the money stay in my account at 0% interest.

Cost/years remaining only apply if you expect to keep it until the end. I expect to keep mine 10-15 years. So how much will my contract be worth with 10 years left? It will be at least worth what I’m able to rent the points at minus annual dues.

At today’s rates let’s calculate what a 100 point BWV contract with 10 years left is worth:

Rental price: $17 pp
Mf: $6,47 pp
Years left: 10

17 - 6,47 x 100 x 10 = $10.530

Will I be able to sell at that price who knows but I will be able to rent instead. The renter or buyer of the contract will still save money compared to renting direct with Disney.

In 15 years the annual dues and rental price pp will definitely go up. The rental price now is already above 17 for some rentals and below for others.

I will be able to calculate my effective annual cost when I sell my contract.

I don’t give much for that type of chart. It’s not that some of the info aren’t correct it’s just I don’t think I applies to most.

The opportunity cost alone doesn’t apply as if I hadn’t bought DVC I would not have invested the money I might have used it on another vacation or let the money stay in my account at 0% interest.

Cost/years remaining only apply if you expect to keep it until the end. I expect to keep mine 10-15 years. So how much will my contract be worth with 10 years left? It will be at least worth what I’m able to rent the points at minus annual dues.

At today’s rates let’s calculate what a 100 point BWV contract with 10 years left is worth:

Rental price: $17 pp
Mf: $6,47 pp
Years left: 10

17 - 6,47 x 100 x 10 = $10.530

Will I be able to sell at that price who knows but I will be able to rent instead. The renter or buyer of the contract will still save money compared to renting direct with Disney.

In 15 years the annual dues and rental price pp will definitely go up. The rental price now is already above 17 for some rentals and below for others.

I will be able to calculate my effective annual cost when I sell my contract.

keep in mind OP was trying to convince their significant other using spreadsheets. That's all I was attempting to do.

Don't forget -- in America, we use the decimal instead of the comma. :D

keep in mind OP was trying to convince their significant other using spreadsheets. That's all I was attempting to do.

Don't forget -- in America, we use the decimal instead of the comma. :D

Yes I know, but then its even more important to only include the cost that actually applies to you.

And in my country we use a comma and I think that people still know the meaning of the numbers if they say 5,55 or 5.558-)

Sigh. VGF is looking more and more attractive. I think I am more emotionally tied to BLT because as a kid we always stayed offsite, took the monorail to MK (when it was the only park!) and went through the Contemporary, and I always thought, "I'm going to stay there SOMEDAY..."

There is something to be said for the excitement (as a kid) of driving in, being directed to parking and remembering which character we were, and riding the trams to the TTC... something that my kids are probably never going to experience.

I do agree with @Cyberc1978 that to some extent opportunity cost and time value of money make sense in the chart but shouldn't be weighted that much because most likely we'd be spending that money on another/different vacation, and not actively investing it.

Sigh. VGF is looking more and more attractive. I think I am more emotionally tied to BLT because as a kid we always stayed offsite, took the monorail to MK (when it was the only park!) and went through the Contemporary, and I always thought, "I'm going to stay there SOMEDAY..."

There is something to be said for the excitement (as a kid) of driving in, being directed to parking and remembering which character we were, and riding the trams to the TTC... something that my kids are probably never going to experience.

I do agree with @Cyberc1978 that to some extent opportunity cost and time value of money make sense in the chart but shouldn't be weighted that much because most likely we'd be spending that money on another/different vacation, and not actively investing it.

For sure about the travel money. Wed spend it either way. the way im approaching it is that were going to go so we may as well make it more affordable and comfortable by staying in nicer digs.
and on the years/times that we go somewhere else, renting the points covers the cost.

Have you stayed at BLT, VGF or Poly? They are really, really different resorts. Before you spend the money for a monorail resort, you may want to consider a short stay at your "final choice".

My wife and I were emotionally tied to the Poly. I went there as a child in 1973 and 1974. My wife went there as a child in 1974. We both went back in the 80's, 90's, 2000's, and 2010's accumulating about 400 nights there. We also tried every other Disney resort hotel, except AK, for another 200 nights in the last 20 years. When they announced DVC at the Poly, we were excited. It was our preferred hotel. As the details were made public, and the renovations to the resort common area commenced, we decided against buying there. The common area nostalgia was removed in the renovation, and the long houses chosen to become DVC were ones my wife and I refused to stay in when they were available for cash reservations. Even though we didn't like DVC at the Poly, we did like the idea of DVC. With our knowledge of the various resorts, we ultimately decided that BLT was likely our final choice. We then stayed at BLT and our runner-up choice, BCV, to get a feel for the DVC experience. We then bought a resale contract for BLT. And then, like seemingly everyone else, we've done add-on-itis to accumulate more points to give us longer stays, or stays in larger room types.

Have you stayed at BLT, VGF or Poly? They are really, really different resorts. Before you spend the money for a monorail resort, you may want to consider a short stay at your "final choice".

My wife and I were emotionally tied to the Poly. I went there as a child in 1973 and 1974. My wife went there as a child in 1974. We both went back in the 80's, 90's, 2000's, and 2010's accumulating about 400 nights there. We also tried every other Disney resort hotel, except AK, for another 200 nights in the last 20 years. When they announced DVC at the Poly, we were excited. It was our preferred hotel. As the details were made public, and the renovations to the resort common area commenced, we decided against buying there. The common area nostalgia was removed in the renovation, and the long houses chosen to become DVC were ones my wife and I refused to stay in when they were available for cash reservations. Even though we didn't like DVC at the Poly, we did like the idea of DVC. With our knowledge of the various resorts, we ultimately decided that BLT was likely our final choice. We then stayed at BLT and our runner-up choice, BCV, to get a feel for the DVC experience. We then bought a resale contract for BLT. And then, like seemingly everyone else, we've done add-on-itis to accumulate more points to give us longer stays, or stays in larger room types.

Hi, I'm the OP's friend, we are BLT owners too. We (ok *I*) have been considering another contract (likely BWV and BCV) because of walking distance to EP and HS, but every time I look at cost breakdowns, esp with resale prices overall going higher, VGF looks like a better and better value. And having stayed at BWV, BCV, VGF and GF, BLT and Contemporary and AKL, VGF/GF is probably our favorite resort, if we pretend that $ is not an issue (or that they all cost the same). We haven't stayed at Poly but I'd really like to.

At the time we bought, we had narrowed the list to BLT, VGF, BCV and BWV for what we liked, but VGF was priced a lot higher than the other resorts (now, not so much) and didn't offer walking to any resort. But everyone in our family, even the 6yo, loves staying there. Of course the 6yo has no sense of the cost differential... And we bought at BLT simply because at the time we were looking, it was the first resale contract that came up that fit our price, UY and size requirements. I'm glad we did; it seems like BLT prices have jumped more than the other 3.

Now THAT is a first world problem. :rotfl2:

Ive stayed at vgf (among others but not DVC). Ive sen BLT and i dont care for the theming at poly. (that was the first place i stayed at a kid!)
The only thing that BLT has going for it, of the monorails, for me, is the proximity to MK and the cost.Obviously its nice but it doesnt have the murphy bed in the studio and its smaller. VGF would be a better fit and it seems like when all is said and done the cost difference is negligible over the longer term. So id be ok with ether but i prefer VGF.

Ive stayed at vgf (among others but not DVC). Ive sen BLT and i dont care for the theming at poly. (that was the first place i stayed at a kid!)
The only thing that BLT has going for it, of the monorails, for me, is the proximity to MK and the cost.Obviously its nice but it doesnt have the murphy bed in the studio and its smaller. VGF would be a better fit and it seems like when all is said and done the cost difference is negligible over the longer term. So id be ok with ether but i prefer VGF.

The issue you are going to get in trying to get VGF points is that they have at most 147 rooms, compared to up to 428 for BLT. This means that only 1/3 of the people are looking to sell their contracts, and of those, Disney can only afford to take a certain percentage of them in ROFR. So there is both less resale and direct sale inventory of that property.

for sure.
I can be patient because we dont have another trip planned for over a year. If i really find it difficult or frustrating ill go back to my BLT plan.

UPDATE!
I have passed WROFR (wife's right of first refusal)!!!
We are going for a 200 point contract at BLT!

Congrats, so exciting!!! WROFR--love it :-) Now is a great time to get the official yes, because it seems like prices are going down a little after being a bit crazy. Contracts also don't seem to be moving as fast, so probably more room for negotiating. Good luck!!!

Congrats, so exciting!!! WROFR--love it :-) Now is a great time to get the official yes, because it seems like prices are going down a little after being a bit crazy. Contracts also don't seem to be moving as fast, so probably more room for negotiating. Good luck!!!

I've been sooooooo patient because the prices were high and now they really do seem to be coming down little by little.

were going to do 1 brs because, like @kboo's DH, she never wants to stay in a studio

At least your spouse recognizes this before you bought a too-small contract! DH now denies that he ever said "studios will be fine!!!" and is thrilled we are in ROFR for a 2nd home resort. First world problems, indeed.

Congrats!!!! I also passed HROFR in OCT he after 21 years agreed its a smart idea :) we are about to purchase 100pts at OKW, and for us after 21years of yearly trips we know we LOVE the DVC studios! Perfect for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter