Horror Nights Newbie Questions

Catvondita

A Quirky Strange Girl in a Disney World
So my husband and I are planning a trip with some friends this October. While we've done Uni and IOA many times we've never done Horror Nights. I've done some research but still had a few questions. Obviously the earlier we book the better (don't want to risk things getting sold out) do we know generally when they release the exact calendar? I don't want to plan a trip and book hotel and flight and see that there aren't any scheduled horror nights on those dates. We are going Columbus day weekend (yikes I know but my friends are school teachers and can only go this time. We're planning on getting express pass.) My other question is for express pass. When you buy it is it for the length of your stay/dates you are attending or do you really have to shell out $150 ish each night you want to go?

Obviously it's always ideal to save money. Do you have any tips on how to do so? I'm seeing in my research there's actually a bunch of different passes you can get but its a lot to unpack. Are there any passes aside from General Admission that would save us some money?

Thanks in advance and sorry if these are questions that are asked a lot!

Last edited:
Adding for some background if it helps. We're planning on arriving either Thursday or Friday the (8th or 9th) and leaving Monday the 12th. Planning on 2 nights of horror nights and 2 park hoppers for regular theme park stuff. We'd be staying on property most likely either Cabana Bay, Aventura or either of the Beachside/Dockside hotels, whatever is cheapest.

So my husband and I are planning a trip with some friends this October. While we've done Uni and IOA many times we've never done Horror Nights. I've done some research but still had a few questions. Obviously the earlier we book the better (don't want to risk things getting sold out) do we know generally when they release the exact calendar? I don't want to plan a trip and book hotel and flight and see that there aren't any scheduled horror nights on those dates. We are going Columbus day weekend (yikes I know but my friends are school teachers and can only goes this time. We're planning on getting express pass.) My other question is for express pass. When you buy it is it for the length of your stay/dates you are attending or do you really have to shell out $150 ish each night you want to go?

Obviously it's always ideal to save money. Do you have any tips on how to do so? I'm seeing in my research there's actually a bunch of different passes you can get but its a lot to unpack. Are there any passes aside from General Admission that would save us some money?

Thanks in advance and sorry if these are questions that are asked a lot!
Last year we bought an RIP tour for our first night, which was great because it gave front of line access and the tour guide talked about the background of each house/scare zone. It was a long night, exhausting but great fun. Then we bought the Rush of Fear pass with EP for the rest of our stay, which we found worked really well.

Go to
www.halloweenhorrornights.com

The calendar schedule is up

I used to go every Columbus Day weekend but changed my dates a year ago due to the high crowds for that time period

The express pass will help you cut the line waits but it is expensive for the time period you plan to go

Adding for some background if it helps. We're planning on arriving either Thursday or Friday the (8th or 9th) and leaving Monday the 12th. Planning on 2 nights of horror nights and 2 park hoppers for regular theme park stuff. We'd be staying on property most likely either Cabana Bay, Aventura or either of the Beachside/Dockside hotels, whatever is cheapest.

Last year was my first ever HHN, and I traveled the same dates you are looking into... Thursday - Monday, Columbus Day weekend and stayed at Cabana Bay. First time at CB as well and it was AWESOME! We only did HHN one night, Friday night so we purchased the Express Passes. We arrived at the park around 4:30, ate at Finnegan's and stayed all night until they closed. With the Express Passes we were able to go through every house at least once. Some more than once, if the wait was short we'd go through the regular line and use the express pass later. We also rode every ride we wanted to with little to no wait. I do not believe we could have accomplished so much with out Express Passes.. some of those lines are incredibly long.

Yes, a one night ticket + express passes is a stupidly expensive night but woo boy was it fun!! So much fun we are going back, and again traveling the same dates as you.. Thursday - Monday.

Last edited:
Adding a question as we are first time Newbies as well...

we have premier annual passes for the first time, so I think we get one free ticket to HHN? Can we use that and buy the Express passes? Can we use that and add the RIP Tour? Is one night enough to see everything if we add some type of Express? I’m so confused...My husband wants to go on Halloween, I’m thinking that’s a mistake. We did MNSSHP on Halloween 2018, and vowed never again.

we have premier annual passes for the first time, so I think we get one free ticket to HHN? Can we use that and buy the Express passes? Can we use that and add the RIP Tour? Is one night enough to see everything if we add some type of Express? I’m so confused...My husband wants to go on Halloween, I’m thinking that’s a mistake. We did MNSSHP on Halloween 2018, and vowed never again.
We saw everything, houses and scare zones and some shows/ entertainment, with the RIP tour but I don’t know how usual that is. It was a group RIP tour, rather than a private one, but it was a smallish group and everyone kept going at a steady pace, even with loo stops and refreshment breaks. I have to say that towards the end I was exhausted, I think from all the walking (there is a huge amount of ground to cover) and the complete ‘attack’ on all the senses. It was great fun. In fact I am being pulled towards going again this year.
We also bought the Rush of Fear pass with express passes. My adult children’ revisited for about six nights, but I confess that I flagged mid week and needed an early night. It was an experience that we will always remember. Oddly, no matter how many times you revisit, there is always something different to see and something new to scare you. We visited in September and it was busy but pleasantly so and everyone seemed in good spirits and wanting to have a fun time.

That sounds like a great night! Did people ask to do specific things on the tour, or did it seem to be a set agenda?

Public tours are set by the tour guide
All will go through each house and scare zones one time

There will be a few breaks during the tour for restrooms and drink stops

These tours can take up to 4 hours
All depends on the pace of the tour guide

If you are in a full group and the park is crowded, it may add on to the tour time

For private tours, the person that books and pays for the tour, can decide the agenda for the night

I do both private and public tours during the hhn event each year

I had to check the UO website to answer one of your questions
Premier ap allows you one free admission to hhn on Select nights
UO website does not specify which nights it will be honored for hhn 2020 yet

Anyone can buy the express pass, it is valid for a one time use for each house
They are date related
Years past, a multi day hhn ep was sold

The public tours will cover all the houses and scare zones
If you are going only one night and book a public tour and bought the ep for that night, you can use the ep after your tour is over
If you go that route, suggest you book the first tour time in the evening
That way you will get use out of the ep for the rest of the night after your tour

This year will be my 21st year for hhn
I go 5 different nights each year
Some nights are packed and some have ok crowd levels
When prices are released, the heavier predicted crowds tend to cost more for the hhn tickets
Lower attendance nights tend to have a lower cost
Some will say they covered everything in the park for hhn and one night was enough
Generally, Wednesday has decent crowds where you can do it all early in the season

I have not attended hhn after the Columbus Day weekend so have no advise to offer after that time period regarding crowds

I had to check the UO website to answer one of your questions
Premier ap allows you one free admission to hhn on Select nights
UO website does not specify which nights it will be honored for hhn 2020 yet

Anyone can buy the express pass, it is valid for a one time use for each house
They are date related
Years past, a multi day hhn ep was sold

The public tours will cover all the houses and scare zones
If you are going only one night and book a public tour and bought the ep for that night, you can use the ep after your tour is over
If you go that route, suggest you book the first tour time in the evening
That way you will get use out of the ep for the rest of the night after your tour

This year will be my 21st year for hhn
I go 5 different nights each year
Some nights are packed and some have ok crowd levels
When prices are released, the heavier predicted crowds tend to cost more for the hhn tickets
Lower attendance nights tend to have a lower cost
Some will say they covered everything in the park for hhn and one night was enough
Generally, Wednesday has decent crowds where you can do it all early in the season

I have not attended hhn after the Columbus Day weekend so have no advise to offer after that time period regarding crowds
Thank you for your thorough reply! I am so excited to go, but it is somewhat intimidating for a first timer. We stay at RPR for Express pass, ny husband will not do lines so I’m thinking we need to be able to avoid them. He’s happy to pay for that privilege, I just need to figure out the best experience for us.

If you are doing only one night for hhn, a public tour has its advantages

The tour guides will explain to your group background information about the house
(Theme, things to look for inside, etc)
That will help you understand the house theme and how it all fits together

A big plus of a tour is you will have less line waits
and tour groups take short cuts in the park to reach the houses

There are more people that do not book the hhn tours
They read up or watch movies about a house once the list has been revealed so they have background info
Or they just go and and enjoy the event for what it is and wing it

If you are doing only one night for hhn, a public tour has its advantages

The tour guides will explain to your group background information about the house
(Theme, things to look for inside, etc)
That will help you understand the house theme and how it all fits together

A big plus of a tour is you will have less line waits
and tour groups take short cuts in the park to reach the houses

There are more people that do not book the hhn tours
They read up or watch movies about a house once the list has been revealed so they have background info
Or they just go and and enjoy the event for what it is and wing it
I’m going to share your explanation and let him get a feel for how our evening could go. I don’t think he’s categorically against more than 1 night, he’s just skeptical it’s needed. It’s hard to gauge how long it would take to do it all...

Use the search button and pull up threads of past years and read the opinions of those that went

It might guide you in making a decision if one or two nights of hhn this year is the way you want to go

Use the search button and pull up threads of past years and read the opinions of those that went

It might guide you in making a decision if one or two nights of hhn this year is the way you want to go
Great suggestion, Thank You!

Halloween itself is usually not as busy as folks imagine......but.....this year it`s on a Saturday and that will bring crowds regardless.

Doing a tour will cover everything in one night if that's what he wants. I`d need to do another just to enjoy everything again with EP as we wouldn't do HHN without EP.

We never do a tour as we buy the Rush of Fear with EP and last year I think we visited 10 nights and could have gone a few more, it`s a fabulous ticket for us.

I`m so glad you`re finally doing it though!!!! I`m excited to hear what you think of it......::yes::

@macraven do you know if they have increased the amount of tour groups going round these last two years. Last year especially we and a few others commented there seemed to be more groups going around...….

Last year the Friday prior to the Columbus Day weekend, private tours were sold out
I booked a private tour for that night

The Sunday of that weekend , I did a public tour and some time periods were sold out

I always book first tour of the evening
Anyone that was in the public tour can use their vip lanyard card for ep lines for rides that night
( 1 time use)
I prefer the early start of the tour so I can see the park during dusk
My eyes adjust better when it becomes darker in the evening

Last year was our first time and it was a blast. I was so glad we did the public tour our first night. Our tour guide was really knowledgeable and fun. It allowed us to see all the houses. On the next night a couple of days later we used express passes and were able to just take our time and hit only the houses we wanted to do again and watch all the shows. Plus it is nice to be able to sit down and enjoy the food/ snacks they have at this event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter