Hot! How to keep cool ...

casagray

Kinda New to this!
One of the reasons I like going in the late fall is to try to beat the heat.

Unfortunately, no matter what program I look at, it's going to be HOT next week while I'm there - arrive mid-afternoon Saturday, then leave early Friday. Hoped to be at the parks late afternoon Saturday...

full

Hades will be happy ...

I know we should
a) do early morning/evening
b) ask for water at counter service
c) take breaks in a/c places as often as we can (animation studio, here we come)

Any thing I'm missing? I don't usually have to plan for such hot weather!

Thanks

We came last week of August and there was a major heat wave at 100 degrees each day. Never felt such heat. Things we did:
  • used cooling towels
  • carried collapsible water bottles so we always had it on us (good for having water on you but not as cold as ice water)
  • got ice water from quick service
  • did things indoors (e.g. Bugs Life, Frozen show, Animation Studio, a lot of queues are mostly inside such as Monsters Inc, Toy Story, Soarin, Guardians, Pirates, Indiana Jones, etc)
We didn't take breaks ourselves but definitely do so in the hottest hours. There are also water rides, lunch ADR, etc

Don't worry as the heat didn't spoil our fun.

I just got back from DL last night, it was quite hot this weekend. We basically did exactly what you are recommending, although we were in the parks all day with just a couple longer mid day meals back at the Disney hotels for AC. We stayed on top of our hydration and took AC breaks when necessary. We got MaxPass to avoid walking the additional steps to the various FastPass machines, and it worked extremely well (we still walked 14.25 miles on Sunday). We still had a great time in the heat.

I live in a hot climate and IMO the biggest thing you can do is keep ahead of the heat. Go inside or in the shade before you're badly overheated because if you wait too long, you'll be worn out for the rest of the day even after you cool off. As soon as someone in your group starts to feel tired, nauseous, or even just irritable from heat, take a break. If you sweat a lot, keep on top of electrolytes in addition to water.

Bring in a reusable water bottle with you and fill it with ice and water at the hotel before going into the parks. It definitely helped us.

Catch an afternoon show of Frozen.
As I'll be going with my daughter, who doesn't like Frozen, I don't think that that will be an option (not even for sitting in a/c for a while). Now if they still had Aladdin, I'd plan on seeing that every afternoon - loved that show (and that the Genie would ad lib jokes so no two shows were ever the same!).

Thanks everyone, I know I may be over reacting, but I hate being hot, and my DD has body temperature regulation issues that can leave her easily exhausted ... so it being so hot while we're there is making me a little grumpy/paranoid/concerned/panicked.

We were there the last week of October a couple years ago and hit some really hot weather. I'm pretty heat intolerant and honestly, the only thing that really helped was to go back in the room for a bit in the worst of the afternoon heat. At least when we were there it cooled off nicely after dark.

We were there during a hot June day a few years back. We ended up springing for one of those fan misters, where it sprays you and then the fan blows you. Even though it was pricey, it was worth every penny! So for our next summer trip, we ordered one off amazon to use. Use it - it will make you feel so much better.

We were there a month ago and it was upper 70s-low 80s. I still can't believe how lucky we were. I would be dying in the current heat!

I second the recommendation to make sure you have plenty of water to stay hydrated.

I would also echo the recommendation to look carefully at lines and their queues. Avoid the queues that are mostly outdoors or in the sun (e.g., It's a Small World). I would add the train in as a possible ride to do; while it is outdoors, the moving air and just not having to walk, seems to help me cool down.

We were there during a hot June day a few years back. We ended up springing for one of those fan misters, where it sprays you and then the fan blows you. Even though it was pricey, it was worth every penny! So for our next summer trip, we ordered one off amazon to use. Use it - it will make you feel so much better.

Definitely this! We bought one at DL, but found it bulky, heavy, leaked and the lanyard was uncomofortable. DW ordered on on Amazon for our next trip, it was smaller, lighter and didn't leak. Didn't have a lanyard but fit into the water bottle pocket in my backpack. We also used the water in there to spray the cooling towels, which I also highly recommend. Another great thing to do in the heat is get a dole whip and chill out in the tiki room! And obviously try to stay in the shade as much as you can.

I "think" this was the one she bought, looks just like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATSJQ2...=9057150&hvtargid=pla-306693437953&th=1&psc=1

And I thought it was hot here,Tucson, Of course our cooler died 2 weeks ago. Couldn't wait 3 weeks. :(

Umbrellas so you always have shade. Helps a ton! And the mister fans. Between the two, and taking it slow, you should be ok. Don’t forget the sunblock. Sunburn makes it miserable.

If you are getting really sweaty, make sure you are drinking more than just water. Water can't replace electrolytes and they really do make a difference. I was there for Labor Day weekend (running the DLR races) and for me, it wasn't enough to just drink water. I had to be drinking something like Powerade or using my Propel powder packets (already had them because of the races) in order to keep up. For the record, it was in the upper 90s with crazy humidity.

Another great place to escape the heat is the Animation Academy. There are lots of activities that can be done and it is cool and dark in there. I spend a couple hours there trying to keep my core temp down that horrid weekend.

I highly recommend cooling towels as well - they were a lifesaver that weekend and during the races, Disney was handing them out to people to keep them from overheating.

I second the recommendation for cooling cloths. We were there for the big heat wave over labor. 106 and pretty humid for So Cal. Yuck! We rode Splash Mountain fairly early in the day and got drenched. That helped. We don't carry water bottles with us because I hate carrying them, but will stop at food service locations and ask for water frequently.

Oh, if you can, wear tech material clothing. Cotton clothes trap heat in but tech material will breathe and wick away sweat. I was wearing race shirts and tops from Raw Threads and skirts from Sparkle Skirts. Best thing I could have ever done!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter