Hot! How to keep cool ...

We also got back yesterday and echo the recommendations. MP is fantastic - with ADR's and MP I was able to manage when we did what without running around (I have logged many miles as the family fastpass runner). We took several animation classes, saw Frozen, booked ADR's around noon so we'd have some time in a cool place (did CC and BB), did afternoon pool breaks and also used MP for Grizzly River Run - getting soaked on a ride is the perfect way to instantly cool off... although I did not know about the geyser which occasionally rises toward the end of the ride- it was a perfect storm and it basically flooded us all as we went through it. Was absolutely soaked for hours but never hot- yes, I was in cotton which really knows how to cling to that water!

One thing of note: during extreme heat the monorail shuts down. We were on our way out heading back to DLH for a swim before our flight- in front of the main street train station, when I stop and say "hey, we never took the monorail - let's go back and take it to DLH". So we turned around, walked all the way to the tomorrowland station only to find it was closed -so we had an extra 20 min of walking in 97 degree heat.

We also got back yesterday and echo the recommendations. MP is fantastic - with ADR's and MP I was able to manage when we did what without running around (I have logged many miles as the family fastpass runner). We took several animation classes, saw Frozen, booked ADR's around noon so we'd have some time in a cool place (did CC and BB), did afternoon pool breaks and also used MP for Grizzly River Run - getting soaked on a ride is the perfect way to instantly cool off... although I did not know about the geyser which occasionally rises toward the end of the ride- it was a perfect storm and it basically flooded us all as we went through it. Was absolutely soaked for hours but never hot- yes, I was in cotton which really knows how to cling to that water!

One thing of note: during extreme heat the monorail shuts down. We were on our way out heading back to DLH for a swim before our flight- in front of the main street train station, when I stop and say "hey, we never took the monorail - let's go back and take it to DLH". So we turned around, walked all the way to the tomorrowland station only to find it was closed -so we had an extra 20 min of walking in 97 degree heat.

The Monorail turns into a Greenhouserail with even moderate heat(80s). I can see why they shut it down.

Lots of frozen Fanta from Edelweiss Snacks. I know it’s just a Slurpee, but it tastes so much better in DL than it does at 7-11.

You are all fantastic! Thanks so much for all the advice and help. I am thinking of personal fans and cooling towels, breaks, seeing if I can make a few more lunch reservation, and lots of water! Most electrolyte drinks make me queasy, but I'll go that route if I have to.

You are all fantastic! Thanks so much for all the advice and help. I am thinking of personal fans and cooling towels, breaks, seeing if I can make a few more lunch reservation, and lots of water! Most electrolyte drinks make me queasy, but I'll go that route if I have to.

Rememeber, most "electrolyte" drinks just add some cheap sodium and potassium. You can easily get sodium and potassium from food if you don't like the drinks. French fries and a banana are just a couple of the delicious ways to get them at DL.

Don’t forget a sun hat! I would get a headache from the sun beating down on my head without one. I can’t do Disneyland in the summer without my trusty big brimmed sun hat! :)

We will be there just on Monday, which is supposed to be the hottest day! Since I'm from AZ, I was really hoping for some cooler weather this weekend! But California likes to have heat waves when I visit to help me feel at home. So sorry that I planned my trip for next weekend! ;-)

We were there the last week of October a couple years ago and hit some really hot weather. I'm pretty heat intolerant and honestly, the only thing that really helped was to go back in the room for a bit in the worst of the afternoon heat. At least when we were there it cooled off nicely after dark.

Which part of the day felt the hottest for you? Trying to figure out when we should take a break. :) I though of going over to the Grand Californian, trying the nachos at Whitewater Snacks, and hanging out in the lobby for a bit.

Ride Grizzly Rapids with a fast pass in the afternoon. I usually get wet enough that it keeps me cool for a couple hours.
Always carry water with you. As soon as you run out, buy a bottle or refill your bottle. Whenever you are at a quick service, order an ice water, even if you aren't thirsty. We go through lots of water on the hot days and we seem to do better than others.

Most electrolyte drinks make me queasy, but I'll go that route if I have to.
Do you know why they affect you that way? If it's the strong flavor and sweetness, there are alternatives. There's a brand called Nuun that makes tablets that dissolve in water and have a relatively mild/refreshing flavor (I get lemon lime), and it's also convenient to carry around and add to your water when you need it (as opposed to carrying around a whole bottle of Gatorade that you might not need). As another poster said, you can get sodium and potassium from other sources. Lite salt is part sodium and part potassium so you could bring some of that. If you're eating mostly park food like burgers and fries, you're likely to be getting a fair amount of sodium anyway.

We were there in September 2015 when it hit 106 one day. Cooling towels from the sporting goods store on Harbour saved the trip. Put them under the sink, wring it out slightly, good to go. Wore one around the neck, and another under my hat (too hot to care about style).

Also, but a spritzing fan prior to the trip. The fans Disney sell are not great. We went through three of them, but Disney was great about exchanging each time.

So far I've gotten some cooling towels; I was able to rearrange some ADRs; and I bought some Eddie Bauer FreeDry moisture wicking shirts (love living by an outlet!). I have nothing scheduled/planned for Monday, as that currently looks to be the worst day and I think it might be better to be flexible. Am a bit worried that the hotel a/c may not be able to handle the heat as well.

By the way Jaina, I adore your pic in your signature!

So far I've gotten some cooling towels; I was able to rearrange some ADRs; and I bought some Eddie Bauer FreeDry moisture wicking shirts (love living by an outlet!). I have nothing scheduled/planned for Monday, as that currently looks to be the worst day and I think it might be better to be flexible. Am a bit worried that the hotel a/c may not be able to handle the heat as well.

By the way Jaina, I adore your pic in your signature!

Thanks! I just took the shirt I was planning to wear (I made matching ears) and cut the t-shirt collar out of it so it's a bit more open-necked, haha. Gotta keep cool!

Which part of the day felt the hottest for you? Trying to figure out when we should take a break. :) I though of going over to the Grand Californian, trying the nachos at Whitewater Snacks, and hanging out in the lobby for a bit.

It kind of depends on the high, if there are any clouds and humidity etc. i would say on average the sun feels the hottest/burning around 12-2pm but overall temp can feel hottest a little later, like 1-3, even 4ish sometimes. On super hot days i like to eat at 1, swim from 2-4, then head back to parks.. I ate at whitewater snacks today but it was absolutely gorgeous out today.

One of the reasons I like going in the late fall is to try to beat the heat.

I know we should
a) do early morning/evening
b) ask for water at counter service
c) take breaks in a/c places as often as we can (animation studio, here we come)

Any thing I'm missing? I don't usually have to plan for such hot weather!

Thanks
You are definitely planning well. We tried to be out of the Park by noon or one at the latest and heading back just before sunset.
I also carry an inexpensive fan that folds out. I get way better air flow waving at myself than a battery operated fan ever could!

Ugh, we are in the parks Mon and Tues only and this heat wave looks crazy. Is the splash pad still operating over in Bugs Land? I have two littles who may enjoy it.

My kids love to play in the water in CA. They like dots, the fountain by World of Color and the splash bridge next to Grizzly.

I like to use spf 30-50 sun screen and wear sun protection shirts and hats. This stops sume of the infrared ray from warming up your body. I also like to freeze water bottles and carry them in my backpack that keeps me cool as they thaw out and still cool to drink.

I like to use spf 30-50 sun screen and wear sun protection shirts and hats. This stops sume of the infrared ray from warming up your body. I also like to freeze water bottles and carry them in my backpack that keeps me cool as they thaw out and still cool to drink.
last time I had a frozen water bottle, security confiscated it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter