Hotel base for Universal Studios and Staples Center?

deejdigsdis

DIS Veteran
I am looking for a place for my husband and 2 sons to stay that will be close to the best public transportation option for both Universal and Staples Center. They will probably rent a car at the airport then leave it at the hotel for 2 nights while walking/using public transportation/free shuttles in the area, then drive the rental to Anaheim for the rest of our stay.

There are 2 options
  1. Stay at one of the hotels at Universal Studios, the Sheraton or Hilton
  2. Stay somewhere on the Red Line Underground Metro.
Universal Studios and Staples Center are both on the Red Line Underground Metro

rail-map-crop.jpg

The Red Line starts at Union Station, goes through Downtown LA where Staples Center is, then up to Hollywood and onto Universal City where Universal Studios is.

The nearest Red Line Metro Station to Staples Center is 7th Street. Staples Center is about a 10 minutes walk down Figeroa Street.

It really depends on budget but there are some nice hotels near Staples Center / 7th Street area of Downtown LA. Some suggestions would be
  • Intercontinental Los Angeles Downtown
  • Sheraton Grand Los Angeles
  • The Westin Bonaventure Hotel and Suites Los Angeles

Adventures by Disney use Lowes Hotel in Hollywood which is just behind Hollywood and Highland Mall / Chinese Theater / Hollywood Boulevard Metro station.

The easiest way to use public transport in LA is to get a TAP card. This is a plastic travel card around the same size as a credit card. You can get one at the self service ticket kiosks in any Metro station. I usually put pay as you go / Stored Money on my Tap card. You can use it on buses and the underground. As the name says you TAP on either as you board a bus or at the metro underground turnstiles and the standard fare is then taken. You dont need to TAP off when you exit, as its just one fare, no matter the distance.

Last edited:
There are 2 options
  1. Stay at one of the hotels at Universal Studios, the Sheraton or Hilton
  2. Stay somewhere on the Red Line Underground Metro.
Universal Studios and Staples Center are both on the Red Line Underground Metro

View attachment 438933

The Red Line starts at Union Station, goes through Downtown LA where Staples Center is, then up to Hollywood and onto Universal City where Universal Studios is.

The nearest Red Line Metro Station to Staples Center is 7th Street. Staples Center is about a 10 minutes walk down Figeroa Street.

It really depends on budget but there are some nice hotels near Staples Center / 7th Street area of Downtown LA. Some suggestions would be
  • Intercontinental Los Angeles Downtown
  • Sheraton Grand Los Angeles
  • The Westin Bonaventure Hotel and Suites Los Angeles

Adventures by Disney use Lowes Hotel in Hollywood which is just behind Hollywood and Highland Mall / Chinese Theater / Hollywood Boulevard Metro station.

The easiest way to use public transport in LA is to get a TAP card. This is a plastic travel card around the same size as a credit card. You can get one at the self service ticket kiosks in any Metro station. I usually put pay as you go / Stored Money on my Tap card. You can use it on buses and the underground. As the name says you TAP on either as you board a bus or at the metro underground turnstiles and the standard fare is then taken. You dont need to TAP off when you exit, as its just one fare, no matter the distance.

Thank you so much! Great information!

Thank you so much! Great information!

You are welcome. I do this every year, I dont drive so I get around on public transport. I usually stay in more budget friendly places so if you need some other hotel options let me know.

I know the Downtown area fairly well, the Staples Center side is fine but east of Hill Street is the edge of Skid Row and tent city.

You are welcome. I do this every year, I dont drive so I get around on public transport. I usually stay in more budget friendly places so if you need some other hotel options let me know.

I know the Downtown area fairly well, the Staples Center side is fine but east of Hill Street is the edge of Skid Row and tent city.

I've been looking for a map of hotels along the Red Line. Do you know if there is a map out there somewhere? The nicer places are a little too pricey. I want something close enough to a metro station that will also be safe to walk to around 11pm or midnight after a game at Staples Center.

I've been looking for a map of hotels along the Red Line. Do you know if there is a map out there somewhere? The nicer places are a little too pricey. I want something close enough to a metro station that will also be safe to walk to around 11pm or midnight after a game at Staples Center.

I wouldnt really get the Metro late at night and I wouldnt walk from a metro station to a hotel that late at night. Getting a taxi or Uber / lyft after the game would be the safest option.

If you want to stay in Downtown, I have stayed at a budget hotel called Kawada at S Hill Street and W 2nd Street. Its not really a good area but it suited my needs at the time. I would get a taxi or Uber / lyft after the game back to this hotel, its not walkable to Staples Center and definatlly not late at night. There is also a new hotel opening nearer Staples Center called The Wayfarer Downtown Los Angeles, at S Flower Street and W 8th Street. I stayed at this location a few years ago when it was The Milner Hotel. They have completly re done the property and its only re opening this fall.

I have stayed a budget motel Travelodge beside Vermont and Sunset Metro Station. This may be too budget for you, its a typical motel, outside walkways, basic breakfast, pool in the parking lot. Again it suited my needs, but I wouldnt use the metro back from Staples Center after a game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!