Hotel New York FAQ & Information Thread

Bexx

DIS Veteran
~~~~The hotel closed on 6th January 2019 and will re-open as Disney's Hotel New York - The Art of Marvel in Summer 2020~~~~

~*~ Hotel New York ~*~

* ~ 4 Stars ~ Deluxe ~ *

Designed by Michael Graves who was also responsible for the Swan and Dolphin hotels in Disney's resort in Orlando. Here in Paris he uses his distinctive style of design to capture the feel of the sky scrapers of the Big Apple.

In comparison to the other Disney resort hotels the Hotel New York can seem a little more restrained and formal, unsurprising when you realize that it was originally designed for the convention business rather than the tourist trade. Some people find it's theming lends a more business and less magical atmosphere which feels out of place when compared with the other properties. However, it has excellent levels of service, superb rooms (if you like 1930s style) and a wonderful skating rink in the winter! Inside and around the hotel you will find many symbols associated with the city including Big Apples, a yellow taxi cab and numerous images of the ultimate New York icon - the Statue Of Liberty.

Set on the banks of Lake Disney the Hotel New York is the second highest ranked hotel in the resort and is just a gentle 10 minute stroll to the two theme parks. There is also a free shuttle bus available. It's also very well placed for visiting the choice of restaurants in the Disney village, plus those at Sequoia Lodge and the Newport Bay Club

Bedrooms

The 572 rooms and 36 suites are each decorated in an art deco style. Offering some of the most spacious rooms in the Disneyland Resort they sleep up to 4 people in two double beds, or some rooms contain one king size. Throughout the room little details continue the themeing, with the big apple design on the cupboards and the sky scraper style lamps.

There are great views from the rooms on the front of the hotel that overlook Lake Disney - these rooms are available at a supplement. Other rooms over look small landscaped gardens, while some at the rear offer glimpses of Discoveryland.

The bathrooms are larger than those at the mid-range and value hotels with two washbasins and a telephone! Though one thing to consider is that the washbasin is in the bathroom, rather than outside it.

Telephone
Television with international channels
Radio
Hairdryer
Air conditioning
Safe
Minibar (Please note these are now very hi tech, so don't move anything unless you want to pay for it!!!)
24 hour Room service is available at this hotel

Empire State Club

In the three upper floors of the hotel, 34 of the rooms and suites now offer guests a more exclusive experience with the following.
• Exclusive personalised welcome area
• Continental Buffet Breakfast in a private lounge with Disney Character(s)
• Exclusive in-room services with dedicated staff
• Relaxation area with free soft drinks
• Possibility to book interconnecting rooms (upon request and subject to availability)

Lake view rooms are available for a supplement.

Restaurants and Bars

At the Parkside Diner 1930's Formica tables and shining chrome set the scene of a typical New York style eatery. Here is some general information about the Parkside Diner and a dinner menu

The Manhattan Restaurant offers a more formal setting, and is now an upscale Italian restaurant. The atmosphere is reminiscent of the famous dinner dances found in New York's leading clubs. Here is some general information about the Manhattan Restaurant and a dinner menu

In the lobby area of the hotel you will find the New York City Bar - a pleasant place to sit, and apparently has a very large choice of cocktails! The downside is that it can get crowded with businessmen in the evening.

Breakfast is served in both restaurants from 7 - 11 am. The continental breakfast is usually included in the package and there a some hot items also available.

The Good Morning Fantasyland Breakfast is NOT available to guests staying at this hotel. But as the hotel is smaller, the queues at breakfast shouldn't be so bad, though it may still be best to avoid the most popular times of 8 am to 9 am. Or for a supplement you can have your breakfast delivered to your room.

Activities

The Downtown Athletic Club offers an Indoor heated swimming pool, with a connected outdoor heated pool during the summer months

Jacuzzi
Fitness Room
Sauna and steam room

The skating rink is open from October to June. (subject to weather conditions) The cost (until April 1st 2010) is 12 EUR per adult and 9 EUR per child (3-11) including the skate rental.

The children's corner is situated near the lobby. Amusements include colouring stuff and a television showing the Disney Channel, plus various activities on certain days.

Shopping

The New York Boutique offers a small selection of theme park merchandise as well as a range of clothing and New York Hotel Logo Products. This is also one of a handful of locations in the resort where the "Walt Disney Classic Collection" Fine Porcelain Art Figures are available to buy.

The Hotel also offers

Laundry/Dry Cleaning service.
Wi-Fi Access
The Times Square Games Arcade
Hair Salon
Solarium
Massage
Two outdoor tennis courts
Valet parking

(at an extra charge)

as well as Concierge, Bell Service and Currency Exchange

And in case you're interested, the Coliseum Convention Centre boasts over 5,000 square metres of meeting space!!

Shuttle Bus

The walk to the parks is no more than a leisurely paced 10 minutes, but if you are feeling tired a free shuttle bus runs between the hotel and the station

Fastpass

Guests staying in a suite receive a VIP card for almost unlimited Fastpassing!!

Arrival/Departure procedures

As with all the hotels at Disneyland Paris rooms are ready at 3pm on the day of arrival, but if you arrive earlier than this time you can drop off your luggage at the baggage desk and collect your park passes for entry in to the park.

You will be given the Disney Hotel Easy-Pass when you check in, which gives you access to the hotel swimming pool and health facilities, (as well as free access to the Disney car park and to the Hurricanes discotheque in the Disney Village). By leaving credit card details at reception, this card may also be used as a charge card in most DLP shops and restaurants.

On the day of departure your room should be vacated by 11am, though again you can store your luggage free of charge at the baggage desk and enjoy the parks until your journey home.

Last edited:
Here's the basic info folks - I'll pretty it up with photos as and when I get the hang of that!!! Once again, thanks Richard!!

As ever, any mistakes or glaring omissions - feel free to holler!!!

Becky, I have to tell you - after all you said ;) - you have done a great job!

Becky - wow, that was quick......and it's excellent too! DW collects some of the WDCC figures - I'll have to keep it quiet that they are stocked at the Hotel New York!!

:wave:

Richard. :)

Wonderful job.
My spoiled husband will probably want a hot (fried eggs) breakfast one of the mornings that we are staying at Hotel New York next month. Do you know what the supplement is for an "American style hot breakfast"?

shoes99 said:
Wonderful job.
My spoiled husband will probably want a hot (fried eggs) breakfast one of the mornings that we are staying at Hotel New York next month. Do you know what the supplement is for an "American style hot breakfast"?

It is 6 € at the NPBC and I think the price at the HNY is the same, but I´ll have a look when I go there next month.

Greets Renate :wizard:

It is 6 € at the NPBC and I think the price at the HNY is the same,

Yep, that's the price according to the DLP Foodguide - I'll add the link to the breakfast price.

Awesome FAQ!!! This is just what I needed to make my decision on where to stay! Great Job!!!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Thank you soooo much for doing this! :Pinkbounc :bounce:

We stayed there in January 2006 and June 2007. And we had both times a lake view room. You have to pay extra for the lake view rooms but the view is worth it. I have some pictures of our view in my albums here:

January 2006

http://pp.mousekingdom.com/thumbnails.php?album=230

June 2007

http://pp.mousekingdom.com/thumbnails.php?album=455

We had both times the same room so the view is exactly the same.

I know many DISers use cheaper or even non Disney hotels because they only need a room to sleep and to shower. But for us the hotel is part of the vacation (like the attractions itself) and so we spent some time in our room and admired this view. (especially in the evening hours) :wizard:
We could overlook SL, NPBC, some parts of the Studios and Disneyvillage (including whole Cafe Mickey)

Here are two of my favorite pictures. More pictures with higher resolutions can be found in the 2 albums above.

:cloud9:

Thanks so much for that! Those are exactly the type of photos I was looking for. I'm usually a WDW girl, and I agree with you, the resort is part of the holiday, can't wait to see what HNY is like. :)

My family & I stayed here last week (Dec 18th - 21st). We've stayed at Sequoia Lodge twice, so we just fancied a change and also, with it being winter and cold, I thought the shorter walk back to the hotel at the end of the day would be welcomed by all. I have to say that I was a wee bit worried/anxious about staying at this hotel. I know it's Disney and children are welcome everywhere but not many DISsers seem to have stayed at this hotel (well, not recently anyway, looking at the 'when are you going?' index). I was quite relieved to see children running around the lobby/check-in area when we arrived :rotfl:

We went to the hotel straight after we got off the Eurostar.
P1010110.jpg
P1010115.jpg
P1010191.jpg

Excuse the grumpy face in this photo lol

P1010111.jpg

Check-in was quick as there was no queue at all. The room wasn't ready yet (as expected), so we just collected our park tickets & meal vouchers, left our luggage at the hotel and headed straight to the park. When we got back late evening (after dinner) to collect our keys, they told us that our suitcase was already in our room:thumbsup2 .

The room was lovely. Slightly bigger than Sequoia Lodge rooms. We were on the 4th floor (room 4244 - luckily, I'm not *that* superstitious, otherwise, I would've requested for another room. Chinese people tend to not like the number 4 as it sounds like 'death' in Chinese and we had quite a few 4's lol) and we had a lovely view out of the window. (I zoomed in on ToT from our window)

P1010124.jpg
P1010127.jpg

P1010298.jpg
P1010299.jpg

Here are a few pics of the inside of the room. Excuse the mess - the pics were taken on our 2nd day I think. Should've taken the pics before we made the mess ;) There is a hairdryer and one of those scary round magnifying mirrors in the bathroom. Oh and a phone and also a speaker so you can hear the telly in the bathroom.

P1010196.jpg
P1010119.jpg
P1010120.jpg
P1010136.jpg

P1010300.jpg
P1010301.jpg
P1010302.jpg

The kids' corner

P1010116.jpg
P1010117.jpg

I thought the breakfast was really good. Well, I liked the fact that there was a hot selection of bacon, sausages, eggs & potatoes... and the usual continental selection. Their round brioche buns were lovely!!! The first couple of mornings, we were there before 8 and it wasn't too busy. On Sunday, we were there around 8.30 I think and there was a short queue to get in (had to wait about 10 mins to be seated).

P1000943.jpg
P1000944.jpg
P1000945.jpg
P1000946.jpg

P1000947.jpg
P1000948.jpg

On our last evening, we had a couple of hours to kill before getting on the Eurostar. So we had a drink or two at the Bar. The kids' cocktails were 8 euros each (and DS got to keep his shaker). They also brought some nibbles - dried pieces of fruit, crisps and peanuts.

P1010523.jpg

P1010519.jpg
P1010522.jpg

I would definitely stay at this hotel again if/when we make another visit to DLRP.

Alice this is the prefect type post for the hotel faqs. This will surely help posters with their trip planning. Thank you :goodvibes

We stayed here for 5 days this week.

When we arrived at 1pm on Sunday there was little queue to check in and our room was ready early.

It was a lovely room with a view (just) of Space Mountain.

100_1116.jpg

You could even make out the Castle (just!)

100_1117.jpg

It was nicely themed and very roomy.

100_0900.jpg

100_0902.jpg

You can order room service 24 hours a day. You can have breakfast served in your room for a charge of 10 Euros per room - just order on your door hanger slip anytime up to 2am on the day you want it.

Housekeeping was superb. Because we were having our midday sleep when they got to our floor, they didn't disturb (because of sign on door) but they did come back later. It must have been quite late as well - because we went swimming and only left for the Park at about 5pm. We thought we wouldn't have a visit that day, but when we got back at 10pm , the room was done.

We had breakfast in Parkside Diner for 2 days

100_0988.jpg

and in Manhattan Restaurant for 2 days. This photo makes the Manhattan look gloomy, but it's not.

100_1060.jpg

Breakfast was lovely and of course you are shown to your table and do not have to clear afterwards. Proper linen table cloths too. :goodvibes

The meet and greets looked fun, although we didn't stop. I noticed they had feather boas for the little girls and hats for the boys to pose in for their photo. We did see Goofy in his New York gear one afternoon, standing all alone.

100_0916.jpg

We also had a cocktail in the New York Bar. It is not a spacious bar and is not as inviting as the Redwood Lounge at Sequoia Lodge, IMO, but the staff were nice and the nibbles were welcomed too.

Lovely lovey hotel - highly recommended.

We stayed there at the beginning of Feb this year and I can echo the thoughts of the last poster - a great hotel with excellent service, but with a slightly more grown up atmosphere than the other on-site hotels.

Some things I wish I known before we arrived that I hope are of use to someone -

1) You can ask the concierge for a kettle and cups to be sent to your room if you're the sort of person who likes to make their own hot drinks.
We did this as soon as we arrived and waited no more than 10 mins.
(There is no extra charge for this, but if you buy the tea/coffee kit from the concierge then kettle and mugs are included in that)

2) The left luggage is free (somehow we didn't know about this until they told us and had planned to leave our bags at the park),
so use it on your last day after you've checked out if you plan to hit the parks again.

3) Which restaurant you have breakfast in depends on what time you arrive and how busy they are with conventioneers.
The Parkside diner was closed to non-convention guests when we were there at 8am on 2 days of our stay.
(Although the food buffet is identical, I preferred the slightly more upscale atmosphere of the Manhattan.)

4)The breakfast DOES include hot items in the buffet at no extra cost (scrambled egg, bacon, fried potatoes) but this isn't mentioned in any Disney literature that I could find.
As far as I know there isn't hot food included in the Sequoia or Newport Bay's breakfast.

5) Although I could get at the Audio/Visual sockets on the in-room TV to plug in my camera/DVD player etc,
the TV remote and the buttons on the front of the set didn't have the ability to change to that input, so don't plan on being able to watch your DVDs!

I've now stayed at Santa Fe, Sequoia Lodge and HNY and can confidently say New York is the best hotel so far...
(Disneyland Hotel here we come!)

Just thought I would add that the rooms in the New York have safes which are free of charge to use for the duration of your stay.

Also the mini bar in our room was open and we were able to store our own things inside it on top of the things that were inside it. It kept Madelane's cheese dunkers and stuff cool for 5 days.

We requested a kettle and within 5 minutes it was brought up to our room and our luggage was also delivered up to our room also very quickly.

Rooms were cleaned every day and toiletries left every day also.

The New York bar is very nice and you are seated by a waiter/ress and drinks bought to your table - E6.50 for a pint of Carlsberg, E8 for a non-alcoholic cocktail but you do get free snacks: crisps and peanuts and they are very welcoming of children.

Take your Hotel ID down to the pool and you get free towels. Water was freezing when we were there and the Hot Tub was VERY hot.

The hotel shop also sells milk in cartons which is handy.

We ate breakfast here and twice in the Parkside Diner in the evening (review will be done on the restaurant part) but was all good and staff very very nice and friendly.

We stayed here from Sunday 28th June - Wednesday 1st July 2009

Having been here twice before we knew what we were coming to and were not disappointed.

We had 2 rooms booked and asked for connecting rooms on our booking and told it was not guaranteed. There are 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 kids. I called the hotel directly 5 days before our arrival to request connecting again. I was told to do this as the bookings are not on their internal system until then. I also requested that each room have 2 double beds, as I had read that some people got a king size bed in one of the rooms as there were only 5 in the party.

We got the interconnecting and 2 double beds we had asked for :goodvibes

Our room

2009_0701Disney090013.jpg

2009_0701Disney090016.jpg

Mark and Abbey's room

2009_0701Disney090012.jpg

The rooms have a tv with the usual channels, mini bar - do not move a thing unless you want to pay for it!!!!! There is a large wardrobe, and the beds were comfy. There is an ice bucket in the room and ice machines on a few floors. Room service is also available, but we didn't use it on this visit.

The bathroom, nice and spacious

2009_0701Disney090010.jpg

2009_0701Disney090011.jpg

We had rooms on the ground floor, which had large doors that opened onto gardens, with a view of the tennis courts and the swimming pool. The only downside was that visitors before us must have been out there smoking and there were cigarette ends everywhere, and an empty packet. It would also have benefitted from a table and chairs, like they do at DLH.

2009_0701Disney090015.jpg

It was really handy being right next to the swimming pool - just a short walk in the corridor meant we could slip back to our rooms with our towels wrapped over out costumes without having to get showered and changed in the changing rooms, which are not very big.

We ate a lovely buffet breakfast with the usual continental fare, cereal, rolls and bread, fruit, yoghurt, fruit juice, and some hot items, sausages, scrambled eggs and fried potato?

This was served either in the Parkside Diner or Manhatten restaurant. We preferred the Manhatten, as much more relaxed and spacious, with nice big tables. We were always given a booth in the Parkside - which was a bit of a pain for a buffet. You could have breakfast any time between 7 and 11am, no slot to meet. We did EMH and then back for b'fast at about 10.00. There were no queues.

The Parkside Diner

2009_0701Disney090021-1.jpg

Our rooms were cleaned each day by the time we had returned from breakfast, with fresh towels and always nicely done. The staff throughout the hotel were pleasant, check in and out was quick and hasstle free.

There are character meet and greets every morning, we saw Pluto and Goofy, but I think they rotate the characters. No queues, no pushing - bliss...

2009_0701Disney090124.jpg

A view of the hotel from the walkway, just down from NBP

2009_0701Disney090074.jpg

We love the Hotel New York. The location is great, just beside Cafe Mickey at the end of Disney Village. Many people think this hotel is only for couples or businessmen, but we found it spacious, courteous and friendly. There were plenty of families there and I would not hesitate to reccomend this to anyone, and aside from the DLH - pennies permitting, I would not stay anywhere else now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter