How bad is TSMM at rope drop?

We did TSMM at rope drop a few weeks ago. Yes, we had to shuffle in with the large crowd headed to Slinky Dog, but once there, TSMM wait was only 5 minutes.

You do need to get to the studios pretty early, though, to avoid being in the back of the pack. We got there at around 8 for a 9am opening.

On our HS RD, we got into the park at 8:30, signed up for Jedi Training, and were towards the back of the pack moving into TSL at 8:50. It was a slow, crowded march until the CMs started calling for SDD folks to stay to the right. Once that line formed, we practically skipped to AS2, rode, and were in line at TSMM before 9am. At that time, the wait was about 10 minutes.

I wouldn't want to be in the RD pack actually waiting for SDD, but following the back of the crowd to the rest of TSL was relatively painless and highly effective.

i would still get there early, but the crowd is headed to SDD and nowhere else in TSL. If you break off to TSMM as the mob heads to SDD, you should nearly walk on once or twice.
We did SDD, then AS2, followed by TSMM and only waited 10 minutes.
yes, the mob headed to TSL is crazy, but headed to a different ride.

If you want an alternate strategy TSMM has very short waits later in the evening. Ever since it was new, we’ve never failed to be able to ride at least 4 times during the last hour of operation.

It will be a walk on at RD and even a little bit after.
If you do want to go at RD though yes you will be walking side by side with SDD RD'ers.
I've RD'd SDD twice and had zero issues.

As others have said, it will be hectic because you are forced to join in with the SDD crowd. But once you get a chance, if you break off and head towards TSMM you'll be fine and should get a few rides in before the crowd picks up.

On our HS RD, we got into the park at 8:30, signed up for Jedi Training, and were towards the back of the pack moving into TSL at 8:50. It was a slow, crowded march until the CMs started calling for SDD folks to stay to the right. Once that line formed, we practically skipped to AS2, rode, and were in line at TSMM before 9am. At that time, the wait was about 10 minutes.

I wouldn't want to be in the RD pack actually waiting for SDD, but following the back of the crowd to the rest of TSL was relatively painless and highly effective.

This is really helpful. I had been planning to ask the question at some point of how to do this. We will probably skip the JTA part (depending on when they start allowing people in when we're there) but will want to be out of the way of craziness since we're there for TSMM and AS2. Thank you for posting.

This is really helpful. I had been planning to ask the question at some point of how to do this. We will probably skip the JTA part (depending on when they start allowing people in when we're there) but will want to be out of the way of craziness since we're there for TSMM and AS2. Thank you for posting.

FWIW, they were already letting people into the park when we got there at 8:30 so Hollywood Blvd was already packed. We had to stay to the left and walk up on the sidewalk to get to the spot where you can turn towards JTA sign ups. We saw the pack starting to move while we were finalizing our JTA slot and we were still through AS2 and TSMM at 9:17. This was a day TP predicted as a 6 but said was actually an 8. So, if JTA is of any interest, I'd say to go for it. That ended up being my girls' favorite part about HS.

FWIW, they were already letting people into the park when we got there at 8:30 so Hollywood Blvd was already packed. We had to stay to the left and walk up on the sidewalk to get to the spot where you can turn towards JTA sign ups. We saw the pack starting to move while we were finalizing our JTA slot and we were still through AS2 and TSMM at 9:17. This was a day TP predicted as a 6 but said was actually an 8. So, if JTA is of any interest, I'd say to go for it. That ended up being my girls' favorite part about HS.

My kids have each done JTA so they're ok if we don't get to do it this trip so the plan had been to go sign up after TSL. But if they do let us in that early we may just scoot over there. No point waiting in a mob if we're fine being at the back of the mob anyway. Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts