How common is theft in the parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommymanda

Mouseketeer
I'm not blind to the world around me, I know even in Disney things can disappear.

I'm bringing a purse for all valuables so it will be with me at all times and hopefully safe.

What I am wondering is I am renting a stroller for my 3year old in case he gets tired. There will be odds and ends stored in said stroller like extra clothes, our refill mugs, sunscreen etc. Nothing we would not survive without if they vanish.

I do also want to bring along my baby carrier for the end of the day when we need to get that sleepy kid onto a bus and he cannot sleep in the stroller. My carriers all have a decent value $$$ wise, but even more so sentimentally. I am a little paranoid it would vanish from the bottom of the stroller at some point.

Am I being realistic and need to think of a different plan, or am I being silly its no more likely to happen than someone taking it out of my car in the driveway?

If it will disrupt you enjoying the parks if it disappears, don't bring it.

Theft is not "common" but it definitely happens.

In 20 plus years of going to WDW the only thing that I ever had stolen was a bag of marshmallows at Chip and Dale's Campfire Singalong. We set the bag on our bench while we went to roast. Came back 5 minutes later and lo and behold...they were gone.

Theft happens. It isn't rampant but it exists. If there is something whose loss would spoil your trip then either don't bring it or keep it with you at all times. There was a thread a few weeks ago about a baby bag that was stolen at Epcot, along with the stroller that it had been left in.

I go to disney world a few times a year since it opened I still shake my head at what I see people leave in the strollers i have seen squirrels taking treats out of parked strollers I say rent a locker I also bring a cheap stroller for my grand kids that I usually pick up at a garage sale when my children needed strollers I rented disney strollers at the park and held onto my receipt if the stroller was missing disney parks replaced it

As with anyplace, leaving a valuable item unattended means that there is a risk the item will be stolen.

I would not recommend leaving anything valuable in a stroller.

Of course it is going to be a question of what is valuable to someone else. If they happen to think it would be a good idea to steal a refillable mug and they see yours sitting out in the open unattended, then that will be the mug they steal.

Not sure what you mean by a "baby carrier" that would fit a 3 year old and stores inside a stroller or how valuable that item might be to another person. There are some reports of entire strollers being stolen but I don't know about a baby carrier. If that carrier has some extraordinary value to YOU or you think it's something another person might help themselves to if they see it sitting around (I'd consider a camera or Ipad something much more likely to vanish) then either don't bring the carrier or keep it concealed if you have to leave it.

In addition it has been noted to watch what kind of food items you leave in a stroller...the squirrels and birds are onto this.

I go to disney world a few times a year since it opened I still shake my head at what I see people leave in the strollers i have seen squirrels taking treats out of parked strollers I say rent a locker I also bring a cheap stroller for my grand kids that I usually pick up at a garage sale when my children needed strollers I rented disney strollers at the park and held onto my receipt if the stroller was missing disney parks replaced it

Those weren't squirrels

699.JPG

Theft is not at all common, but it can happen. I once left my camera sitting right on top of the stroller in plain sight and went into a 30 minute show. It was right there waiting for me when I got back (now, I wouldn't advice that, though).

There are vast oceans of strollers at WDW and the bottom of all of them are stuffed to the gills. Unless something obviously valuable (like cash or electronics) was sitting in obvious sight I doubt anyone will go digging through the bottom of a stroller. But it's always a possibility.

Those weren't squirrels

:rotfl::rotfl:

Have gone to WDW over 40 times averaging 7 days per trip .So in almost 300 days can honestly say never had anything stolen in the parks or WDW hotels. Almost feel like I can keep my door unlocked at night.............well almost ;)

There's another thread right now with the story of how someone's child left an Elsa doll in a stroller while watching fireworks, lo and behold Elsa disappeared.

As to whether the OP's item would be as likely to disappear as an Elsa doll, probably not, but although I have never had anything stolen in the parks it does not mean that it never happens.

And whole strollers have been known to vanish. It is maybe .5% of strollers that go missing, but Disney is not a bubble. Bad people exist everywhere.

I mean...I would say "theft" is or can be common ANYTIME you leave something of value unattended ANYWHERE. All of the examples being given are well...to be frank, examples of carelessness. No offense to anyone! But...well, yeah.

That to me, is something quite different than say, pick-pockets or like armed robbery or break-ins or genuine in your face crimes that involve scary theft like in say NYC or LA or other big cities.

I would say Disney World is the safest place in the entire world, but yeah, if you do things like leave a bag of marshmallows and Frozen merchandise unattended in a sea of children...well...you're just asking for some pilfering!

So, my advice to anyone worried about theft in Disney World is to simply act responsibly with your belongings and not to leave things of value unattended. Most of the time, I don't believe vacationers in Disney World would generally steal stuff like say, cameras, phones, or wallets if say, you left them at your table in a restaurant while you went up to the buffet or use the restroom, but it's probably best not to tempt fate either.

Sure it can happen but never has to us. Always leave ipad in room usually not in safe...never a problem. Leave my big purse with money and credit cards laying around room all the time. Leave jackets, bags of purchased items in wheelchairs all the time...always fine. Left an expensive camera sitting on top of a garbage can a couple of years ago. Put it down for some reason Znd walked away. When I remembered it about 15 min later it was gone. I was very upset. Not for the camera as much as the photo cards. As we were leaving park I checked in at lost and found not expecting it to be there. Another visitor had turned it in. But I'm in general one of those people who just assume everything will be fine...and it usually is.

Several years ago we had an autograph book taken from our rented stroller. I normal didn't leave things in the stroller,but just forgot it while going to eat. It wasn't much value except being almost full of autographs. We also had a rented stroller disappear a few times (our name card was just thrown on ground were stroller had been). That wasn't much of a big deal besides having to go back to front to pick up another.

In 20 plus years of going to WDW the only thing that I ever had stolen was a bag of marshmallows at Chip and Dale's Campfire Singalong. We set the bag on our bench while we went to roast. Came back 5 minutes later and lo and behold...they were gone.

Having seen the squirrels, I'm betting on them, lol.

The only thing that I can recall ever being stolen from me was a Polaroid camera back when they FIRST came out and were so popular. We left it siting by the couch in the GF lobby after listening to the band and having a drink. I realized that we left it maybe 2-3 minutes after walking away. I ran back and it was gone! I figured someone took it to lost and found at concierge...nope.

We had a waffle in a bag stolen. The strange part about it- it had been under a blanket with the rain cover left on the stroller, so somebody had to dig in there to even figure out it was there... but they left items of real monetary value. This particular type of bag was airtight enough it wasn't an animal, but it was annoying as it was an allergy waffle and the only snack we had packed for DS that morning. Such a confusing moment to figure out we were missing of all things a waffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!