How crazy is Aulani over Memorial Day weekend??

twodogs

DIS Veteran
We are hoping to visit Aulani for the first time. We can either arrive the Saturday afternoon of Memorial Day weekend or the following Saturday. Flights are a little less over Memorial Day, but I am worried about massive crowds over the holiday weekend? I think I read on here somewhere that a lot of locals come on the weekends, and I would think this would be even worse than a typical weekend. Does anyone have any personal experience on how crazy that Sunday and Monday would be compared to the next weekend in June? Any help is very much appreciated. I posted on the DVC Aulani forum but haven't heard too much back.

Thanks!!

Hey I hope you're going to have a great trip I can offer you some advice that I've heard.

Anytime the kiddos are off = crowded Aulani. Just kinda keep that in mine and crowded is not equivalent to Disney parks crowded, however just expect to have your reservations down in resturants and plan out to get up earlier to get a chair ect.

Also if you're going to be renting from a DVCs persons points make that reservation EARLY they get booked out fast

Thank you for your reply. I figured kids out of school would be crowded, but I wasn't sure if the first week of June is "out of school" for most of the country (it is for my kids). Just trying to pick the less crazy week, if that is even possible. I figured the further into June it got, the more schools would be out. I would not expect a lot of people to travel to Aulani from the main land just for the 3 day Memorial weekend, but wondered about locals. Any others been there, done that?

Not sure about Memorial Day weekend, but, we went for a week starting the Friday after Memorial Day. It was crowded but manageable. It was our only trip, so I had nothing to compare it to, but I didn't feel like it was crazy.

Thanks all. Work schedules made the decision for us, so we will arrive the afternoon of the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. I'm assuming Sunday and Monday will be a bit wild for crowds! Hoping it dies down after the three day weekend, as we will be there 8 nights. I've reserved a cabana for Sunday (first full day there) since I'm figuring the pools will be very crowded. Hoping this is a good strategy!

We will be there from may 20 to may 31. It was easy to reserve a one bedroom ocean view with DVC points. But stsrting june 1, it became almost impossible to get several days in a row. We have been there four times. This is the first over a holiday. Weekends are always busier with locals. It would thnk Memorial Day will be too. The key is to have someone willing to get up early and get chairs. Thsts always me because I'm an early riser and love to get a latte and work out first thing. I always grab chairs in our fav spot before 8 am. I try to get towels the night before so I have them Already before the pool officially opens at 8. And the slides and the lazy river get very busy. If you can't find a raft at the entrance to the slides, you can often find one at one of the other entry points to the lazy river on the other side. Make dinner reservations in advance if you want. I already have mine. I have never had a cabana...my husband thinks it's a total waste of money! I'd much rather go out for a couple nice dinners anyway for the same price.

Thanks so much for the detailed response. On the days we don't have a cabana, I will definitely try to take advantage of your strategy for the chairs! I was a bit taken aback by the price of the cabanas but we all are very fair skinned so the shade is important. Traveling with our kids, ages 8 and 10, as we'll as my parents. So sun protection is good. Also gives my husband a place to get some work done on the laptop while still engaged with the family somewhat. As a trade off, we got an island garden view room. Tradeoffs!

Thanks again and maybe we will see you there!

Can not speak for Aulani, but May is not a busy month in Hawaii. Biggest thing is Japanese golden week that occurs in the first half. Big crowds start mid June when Ca schools get out. Its a good month to visit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter