How difficult to navigate HS opening week of GE?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
We have had our late Aug trip planned since last year and have a full day at HS Aug 30 including our preferred time for MM FDP. Hubby is concerned that even with our ADR and FDP we won't be able to get near the entrance to MM and they might cancel F!. Plus, he's afraid we won't be able to get in HS cause of capacity, but we are resort guests, AP holders, and have an ADR. I'm thinking they would have pathways roped off to let people into MM...otherwise there would be lots of lost dining income. Should we be worried?

We are in the same boat. We have been talking about this trip for nearly 2 years, specifically coming to WDW to celebrate 2 birthdays so we aren't moving dates (my little sister is turning 21 so we obviously want to be there ON her birthday). We arrive August 29 (so SWGE opening day) and have a HS ADR booked for August 31. We are nervous to see the impacts SWGE has but the trip is already booked so we are going to make the most of it.

They'd have to reach stage 4 for you to not get in. And even if they got to stage 4, it's not like they'd be there ALL DAY LONG. If you're onsite, the front desk staff should have the most updated information regarding current closure levels.

A lot depends upon what operations decides. I don't think anyone really knows at this point. As others have said, they would have to reach Phase 4 for you to not be allowed in. Hopefully, Disney is smart enough to realize that's not a good thing. I don't think they will cancel any attractions or shows, except maybe Indy for a staging area. They need stuff to keep people occupied in the park. If people are held for SWGE, they should be held in a line. I don't think they will just allow a huge crowd to gather; that could present a safety issue. They would most likely have paths to get to MM & Muppets separate from the SWGE path. I have been to the parks at very busy times. They do a pretty good job of handling crowds and wrangling lines. I think this knowledge will definitely be used for SWGE.

Its 99% guaranteed the park with reach level 4 for several days on and after the 29th. The 29th is a Thursday and will reach level 4 because its opening day. Then you have Fri.-Sat.-Sun., a double whammy of just opened GE and the weekend. You can expect level 4 shutdown those 3 days too. Will it taper off come Monday? Maybe a little? Time will tell.

If you must go on the 30th, and godspeed to you, make sure you are there by rope drop and don't leave the park until you are done for the day.

Its 99% guaranteed the park with reach level 4 for several days on and after the 29th. The 29th is a Thursday and will reach level 4 because its opening day. Then you have Fri.-Sat.-Sun., a double whammy of just opened GE and the weekend. You can expect level 4 shutdown those 3 days too. Will it taper off come Monday? Maybe a little? Time will tell.

If you must go on the 30th, and godspeed to you, make sure you are there by rope drop and don't leave the park until you are done for the day.
And Sep 2nd is Labor Day, triple whammy :)

And Sep 2nd is Labor Day, triple whammy :)

Oh yeah. Level 4 Monday too!

And in relation to the original post. I do fear that the area around Grand Avenue and Mama Melrose's is going to be ground zero for those waiting to get in to GE, the "staging" area. But Im sure Disney will have some sort of path roped off to allow access to MM and MV3D. But its going to be NUTS right there.

Oh yeah. Level 4 Monday too!

And in relation to the original post. I do fear that the area around Grand Avenue and Mama Melrose's is going to be ground zero for those waiting to get in to GE, the "staging" area. But Im sure Disney will have some sort of path roped off to allow access to MM and MV3D. But its going to be NUTS right there.
can't wait :yay::hyper::dance3:

We have had our late Aug trip planned since last year and have a full day at HS Aug 30 including our preferred time for MM FDP. Hubby is concerned that even with our ADR and FDP we won't be able to get near the entrance to MM and they might cancel F!. Plus, he's afraid we won't be able to get in HS cause of capacity, but we are resort guests, AP holders, and have an ADR. I'm thinking they would have pathways roped off to let people into MM...otherwise there would be lots of lost dining income. Should we be worried?

I firmly believe the last thing that will occur is having Fantasmic canceled. That show absorbs a lot of people, and that is the one thing that can save DS from exploding. People need to have someplace to go, and shows will give them that chance.

CM's will likely be keeping an open queue to get into MM for meals.

I think your worry will be in navigating the park in general. The timeing of your trip is problematic in that the CM's will have no opportunity to fine-tune their process, and your family may be caught in the crush as they work out the logistical problems of having that influx of people into such a small park. If I was planning that day, I would be at the park a good 90 minutes before RD that day, and would have a solid plan in place. I would avoid GE area as much as possible. I would also book ADR's for any meal you want, not just MM for dinner. I would not plan on leaving the park at all. Book your three FP and make sure you have the package for MM F!

I don't envy anyone trying to navigate through HS the first few weeks after SWGE opens. The park is too small to hold the size of crowd they most likely will have. And unfortunately, they don't have a lot of rides that can swallow up large numbers of people like GMR did. Indy and BaTB hold quite a few. Just hoping it gets better by October.

I don't think the odds are that high. For GE yes, HS as a whole, not 99%.
I think they'll do something so that only GE reaches Phase 4 so the guests who have zero interest in GE will be able to go to HS.
I'm certain that Disney will use the same messaging that they use at NYE so that most anyone who doesn't know how it works will think it's at phase 4, which will help reduce some of the guests who even try to head over. So that will help cut crowding some too.
We have ADR for a couple of days during opening weekend, mostly to have a place to park ourselves for a bit without having to search for a place while it's so busy. I'm not worried about the ADR since I do think they'll do whatever it takes to get those folks in the park.

We have ADR for a couple of days during opening weekend, mostly to have a place to park ourselves for a bit without having to search for a place while it's so busy.

Oh, good point. Just made an extra ADR for our HS day just in case. Having a chance to get in out of the sun and crowds might be very welcome.

Oh, good point. Just made an extra ADR for our HS day just in case. Having a chance to get in out of the sun and crowds might be very welcome.

This would be my plan if I was in that park. ADR's made so I knew my family had a place reserved for meals and relaxation. I think that it is going to take a while for Disney to work out the kinks when GE opens so any advance plans you make that allow for rest, food and escape from the chaos will be the best insurance policy your family has.

Just as a heads up and it will depend on how Disney will handle entrance into the land. If you leave Batuu you might not be able to get back inside without waiting a real long time.
So let's say you go into Batuu and then leave to go to your ADR you might have to get in line to get back inside Batuu.
Not sure what your plans are but just keep that in mind

Just as a heads up and it will depend on how Disney will handle entrance into the land. If you leave Batuu you might not be able to get back inside without waiting a real long time.
So let's say you go into Batuu and then leave to go to your ADR you might have to get in line to get back inside Batuu.

Yes, makes sense. I’m thinking of it as a back-up plan right now. In the event of perhaps a virtual queue to get into the land and maybe a need to kill time as we wait for that. If there’s something like that, I’m sure the greater HS area is gonna be pretty busy. It’s hard to plan things when we know so little about what’s happening.

Current plan is Sept 10 for HS/GE so hopefully we’ll have a better picture by then.

I wonder if they'll do it so face paint touch up can get back in. While we're didn't have it done too get back in Pandora it was helpful when we needed the touch-up. Walked right back in using the receipt

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!