How do they know that I am self parking?

tbssenterprises

DIS Veteran
Obviously, it must be a trigger when I first drive through the security guard when entering the hotel premises. But I did online check in and I was never asked if I was self parking. Parked the car and received a text about my room number. Went right to the room.

Bill came and yes, they did charge me for self parking....which obviously I didn't dispute because I did self park. But what if I had an Uber drop me off....or a friend? So it must be something that the guard does when checking ID and seeing if you are indeed registered.

Now, I would NEVER do this, but what is to stop someone from registering for Magical Express (and not using the service but instead parking.....)

Weird how Disney knows your every move.....

They really have no idea, I think they charge anyone not using Magical Express. And I don't think even then that is fool-proof. We went over Christmas, arrived by Mears taxi. Never had a car at any point. We were charged for parking on both our rooms. The year before when we had one car, we were again charged for parking on both rooms. They really need a better system.

Obviously, it must be a trigger when I first drive through the security guard when entering the hotel premises. But I did online check in and I was never asked if I was self parking. Parked the car and received a text about my room number. Went right to the room.

Bill came and yes, they did charge me for self parking....which obviously I didn't dispute because I did self park. But what if I had an Uber drop me off....or a friend? So it must be something that the guard does when checking ID and seeing if you are indeed registered.

Now, I would NEVER do this, but what is to stop someone from registering for Magical Express (and not using the service but instead parking.....)

Weird how Disney knows your every move.....
Your magicband is how they know.

Your magicband is how they know.

Not sure that is true. We were in our friend's car arriving back at our resort and used my band to scan into the parking lot. We were not charged anything for parking.

Not sure that is true. We were in our friend's car arriving back at our resort and used my band to scan into the parking lot. We were not charged anything for parking.
I did the same and was charged for parking.

Day five of an eleven day solo trip I went to Universal with a friend. She drove me back to POFQ and I used my MB to get in. We had a drink at Scat Cat's and then she left about two hours later. I was charged for parking for all eleven days even though the first time I scanned a MB at the gate was on day five.

We were at January 2019. One room, two cars, arriving at separate times. Did online check in, but had to check in with a guard to get into parking. Parked the cars and didn't move them until we left a week later. Wasn't charged parking for either car. Was a nice surprise!

We've gone multiple times since the implementation of parking fees. We never use DME nor do we rent a car. We have a private car service drive us from MCO to our resort. I have never been charged parking fees at any of the resorts.

They really have no idea, I think they charge anyone not using Magical Express. And I don't think even then that is fool-proof. We went over Christmas, arrived by Mears taxi. Never had a car at any point. We were charged for parking on both our rooms. The year before when we had one car, we were again charged for parking on both rooms. They really need a better system.

That could be it. I was charged for parking on the second half of a split stay when we didn't have a car. Took DME to resort #1, but just came into resort #2 on park buses and had Disney transfer bags. Never entered the resort in anything but a park bus the whole time, but was charged for parking the whole stay. They reversed it no problem, but it was annoying.

I asked this exact question when the fee was implemented.
I was told it is up to the guard at the gate.
They are supposed to be the ones to notate the MDE account as car/no car.
They are very bad at this.
Very, very bad.
They notate wrong accounts, miss notating when someone drives in, notates that someone drives that didn't. You name it, they mess it up.
It does explain why it's so very inconsistent. Human error/indifference.
I have been charged for parking on several stays, when I had no car and used ME. It was very easy to get removed, just took an email and I got the refund. If I didn't notice while still there (I usually don't)

We were at January 2019. One room, two cars, arriving at separate times. Did online check in, but had to check in with a guard to get into parking. Parked the cars and didn't move them until we left a week later. Wasn't charged parking for either car. Was a nice surprise!
You mean you didn't reach out to let them know they neglected to charge you parking, LOL ;)
Seriously, I wouldn't either. But it is funny that people are quick to point out they were charged in error but rarely ever going to ask for the charge to be added when it's missed.

It's as simple as they assume you're parking if you drive a vehicle in when the guard checks your ID.

I've never been charged when taking an Uber, etc. I was charged for the full two week stay when in fact, I only had a car one night. I let them know, and the reversed all of the nights except the one I actually parked.

It's as simple as they assume you're parking if you drive a vehicle in when the guard checks your ID.

I've never been charged when taking an Uber, etc. I was charged for the full two week stay when in fact, I only had a car one night. I let them know, and the reversed all of the nights except the one I actually parked.
If only the guards got it right every time, it would be that simple.
They do not. I have been charged about half the time since the fee started. We always fly down, no rental.
There's no rhyme or reason to the trips where I do get charged and the ones where I don't. Arriving via ME or Uber, it's made no difference. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
And they never get my ID when I arrive via Uber so that's not it either.

You mean you didn't reach out to let them know they neglected to charge you parking, LOL ;)
Seriously, I wouldn't either. But it is funny that people are quick to point out they were charged in error but rarely ever going to ask for the charge to be added when it's missed.
Lol. I hope your kidding. It's not up to you to point out a undercharge.

We always take a car service from the airport and the guard at the gate always asks to scan a MB. Always. This is at AKL. They have never charged us for parking, but we always check the bill before we leave to make sure.

Well, we use MEARS Cabs. Our driver HAS an auth card. We never take a car (we fly in & out) - and we've never had an issue. And Cabs don't park :).

If someone demands a MB scan? Place band on window - RF goes right through it :).
But they don't have long range readers at the gates. You have to tap to have it read. So that's useless

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter