How do we know if we're "cruise people?"

StarSeven7

DIS Veteran
We've never been on a cruise before, but we're looking at the possibility of a DCL cruise sometime next year. My family is me, DH, DD9, and DS6. We love Disney World and have gone several times in the past few years but DH would like to take a break from that. We're looking to do something a bit different for vacation next year - preferably somewhere warm.

My DD has been asking about going on a Disney cruise - some of her friends have been on one and she thinks it sounds really fun. I'm somewhat interested in one, but DH is really not interested in a cruise at all. If it were only DH and I, we would never choose to go on a cruise. We really like vacationing on our own and not doing tours. Cruise ships seem like they would be really crowded and we wouldn't really get to see the ports we're going to. I'm a fairly picky eater, so the food aspect of a cruise doesn't appeal to me a ton. And we're pretty budget conscious so the price of cruises seems crazy expensive (a 3 day cruise is about the same as a week at Disney World for us - even staying on propery!) BUT, we do love Disney and we're interested in trying something different, plus I think this would be the perfect time to go with our kids' ages, and we probably wouldn't consider it in the future when our kids were teens.

I think if we did choose a cruise, it would probably be a one and done for us (although you never know!), so I'm feeling a bit lost on what would be a good option for us. We would want a Caribbean or Bahamas cruise. We could do a shorter 3 or 4 night cruise to see how we like it, but those itineraries don't look super interesting to me as we've been to Nassau twice before. Western Caribbean also doesn't seem super exciting since we've been to Mexico 3 times pre-kids (although my kids would love to go to Mexico!), really Eastern and Southern Caribbean appeal to me the most since those are all new destinations to me, but those cruises are generally 7 nights and quite a bit more money!

So obviously I need some help deciding! :) Any tips or suggestions? Does it seem like cruising is something we would possibly enjoy or should we just stick with land-based vacations? I think if we don't cruise we would probably pick an island in the Caribbean or Hawaii, so that's what I'm weighing this against!

Thanks for any help you can give!

I felt the exact same way before my first cruise. I thought I would hate it. Turns out I love it and have been on 8 with 2 more booked (never DCL I can't afford them). I would also urge you to look at all the mainstream cruise lines. With the different expectations of each family member you might find a better fit. It's perfectly OK to leave your love of Disney at the parks and branch out to other companies and types of vacations.

Prior to our first cruise, my wife and I also weren't sure if we were "cruise people", which is exactly why we chose DCL. We figured that, even if we hated the cruise part, we knew we'd enjoy the Disney part. We wound up loving the cruise and we're taking our 3rd Disney cruise in May. The main suggestion I would offer in enjoying your cruise would be planning. While you don't want to micro-manage every, little detail, the more you plan for your cruise, the better.

Think of the cruise this way; it's a hotel that goes to different destinations. So, rather than driving or flying everywhere, you get to relax and let the "hotel" take you where you've always wanted to go.

Believe me, you and your family will have a wonderful time!

Last edited:
This is always a tough question as I tend to believe you either are or can easily be a cruise person, or you just aren't. My cousins for example took their two daughters at approx the age of your kids on a DCL Alaskan cruise. They really disliked it. They said that overall they found the experience really boring, saying that they were not fans of trivia, or craft-like activities, or bingo; the girls didn't really enjoy kids clubs; and they found that overall they would have much preferred to be more active. Hawaii or Mexico at a resort with beaches and swimming and such appealed a lot more to them.

For me, I tend to think of cruising in the Caribbean as being a great relaxing turn-off-your-brain sort of vacation. I readily admit I don't really cruise the Caribbean for the ports and tend to find them all somewhat similar (that sounds terrible, I know). That kind of vacation is great for me - I like having the time to read a book, check out an activity or two, have a coffee on deck, and eat dinner without worrying what I'll eat, or whether my kids will like it. The Disney aspect is nice, not strictly necessary for our family though. I do like the Disney touches and the great service you get on board.

On the other hand we are doing a more port-intensive European cruise this year, not on DCL, because I couldn't justify the price for how little we will actually be on the ship. Yes, it's just a 'taste' of the various ports, but again I think it's a good way for us to check out Europe in a very relaxing way.

You find out if you’re a cruise person by going on a cruise or two.

And we're pretty budget conscious so the price of cruises seems crazy expensive

I wouldn’t do Disney, then. I would, and do, choose royal Caribbean. If the kids want characters, choose a dreamworks cruise if they like movies like Madagascar.

IME the two lines are very similar in what makes for a nice cruise. The aesthetics are different on the ships, and the characters are different, but other than that... Oh wait. Soda is “free” on Disney.

Seeing ports...check out cruisecritic’s message boards for the ports of call forum. They’ll have discussions of tour companies and self-guided tours.

I’ve never noticed the ships being crowded overall. Sometimes things can be a squeeze like while waiting for dinner, but it’s the same at Disney world/land.

We’re vegetarian with ingredient issues, and we’ve found things to eat on both lines I’ve mentioned. Cruise lines are VERY GOOD about helping you find food that you like. Better than land restaurants!

I would only consider us "sort of" cruise people. I've found we love port days on cruises (get off the ship and do an activity, then return for fun Disney themed dining and shows in the evening.)

However, sea days are less our thing. There were three at-sea days + the departure at-sea day on our first Disney cruise. We were cruising with family friends so we had fun playing trivia together and just hanging out, but if it had been just our family I would've felt a little stir-crazy. (We usually tend toward very active vacations.)

We are doing a Disney beach cruise with my in-laws in May 2020 and purposely chose a 4-night with only one sea day based on our experience and preferences.

I don't think you will know if you're a "cruise person" or not until you go on a cruise. I'd do a 3- or 4-nighter first, even though you've been to Nassau. There is so much to see and do on the ship that the first cruise you will be fully entertained even if you don't leave the boat (which you may not want to do in Nassau). Castaway Cay, though, is awesome and well worth leaving the boat for.

Prior to our first cruise, my wife and I also weren't sure if we were "cruise people", which is exactly why we chose DCL. We figured that, even if we hated the cruise part, we knew we'd enjoy the Disney part. !

Yeah, this is us! I think we would really only be interested in a Disney cruise simply because we probably wouldn't be doing a cruise at all otherwise!

I don't think you will know if you're a "cruise person" or not until you go on a cruise.

I completely agree. Also tell your husband to keep an open mind. My BIL was dead set against cruising but agreed to go because it was free. He loved it and can't wait to go back.

I would only consider us "sort of" cruise people. I've found we love port days on cruises (get off the ship and do an activity, then return for fun Disney themed dining and shows in the evening.)

However, sea days are less our thing. There were three at-sea days + the departure at-sea day on our first Disney cruise. We were cruising with family friends so we had fun playing trivia together and just hanging out, but if it had been just our family I would've felt a little stir-crazy. (We usually tend toward very active vacations.)

We are doing a Disney beach cruise with my in-laws in May 2020 and purposely chose a 4-night with only one sea day based on our experience and preferences.

I can't imagine loving days at sea either! And it sort of boggles my mind that people don't even care where they go, as long as they're on a cruise, or that they might not get off the ship at port! Going to the different ports is the ONLY thing that makes me interested in a cruise! Our vacations are usually fairly active too.

I completely agree. Also tell your husband to keep an open mind. My BIL was dead set against cruising but agreed to go because it was free. He loved it and can't wait to go back.
My DH would definitely agree to go if it was free! It's only when it's costing him $$$ that he protests!! ;)

You find out if you’re a cruise person by going on a cruise or two.

I wouldn’t do Disney, then. I would, and do, choose royal Caribbean. If the kids want characters, choose a dreamworks cruise if they like movies like Madagascar !

Royal Caribbean ended the partnership with Dreamworks and they are pretty much gone already. The official end is April 1st so there might be something left out there.

And sea days have become our favorite.

This is always a tough question as I tend to believe you either are or can easily be a cruise person, or you just aren't. My cousins for example took their two daughters at approx the age of your kids on a DCL Alaskan cruise. They really disliked it. They said that overall they found the experience really boring, saying that they were not fans of trivia, or craft-like activities, or bingo; the girls didn't really enjoy kids clubs; and they found that overall they would have much preferred to be more active. Hawaii or Mexico at a resort with beaches and swimming and such appealed a lot more to them. .

This is my concern too! I know my kids would really love the activities and kids clubs too, but worried how much DH and I would love it all. I mean, I know we'll make it fun no matter what, but since we're pretty frugal, I hate spending a lot of money on a vacation when I might enjoy something else more. DH and I went to Hawaii on our own last year and we loved it because there was so much more to do than just sit on the beach! My kids are also high energy and like "doing things" on vacations!

So it seems like most people recommend doing a shorter cruise to try it out, even if I'm not excited by the itinerary?

24 years ago when planning our honeymoon, DH convinced me to do a cruise (not DCL) by saying we could go to WDW too. I agreed, thinking I would not like the cruise at all. Well, I now tell DH the joke was on him...24 cruises later we have one more booked for this summer and another for 2020. I guess I liked it. ;) You really wont know until you try. And I am one of the people who could care less about the ports as long as I'm somewhere warm and tropical. I cruise mainly for the cruise experience.

We are cruise people with 7 completed and 3 more lined up. My DH didn't think he would get any enjoyment on a cruise but now he loves just sitting on the veranda with a book and his binoculars watching the other ships go by. We are DVC so I can't comment on the price but DCL is what we enjoy the most. Been on other cruise lines (Celebrity and Norwegian) but keep coming back to Disney. We were both Army, so "picky eater" is not in our vocabulary. Love to try new foods and see new places (that are not in a war zone). Do the research and give cruising a try.

So it seems like most people recommend doing a shorter cruise to try it out, even if I'm not excited by the itinerary?
I think so. I think it's best to "leave yourself wanting more" so you're excited about coming back (if you like the cruise) than to "wish the cruise was shorter, is it over yet?!" if you go the longer route and don't like it. (Which I doubt you will. But just in case. :))

This is my concern too! I know my kids would really love the activities and kids clubs too, but worried how much DH and I would love it all. I mean, I know we'll make it fun no matter what, but since we're pretty frugal, I hate spending a lot of money on a vacation when I might enjoy something else more. DH and I went to Hawaii on our own last year and we loved it because there was so much more to do than just sit on the beach! My kids are also high energy and like "doing things" on vacations!
I'll give you the opposite perspective of being frugal. (I am quite frugal myself.) Because everything is prepaid on a Disney Cruise, the attitude becomes, "Why not try that? It's free!" (Well, prepaid. But whatevs.) Whereas if I'm paying a la carte in Hawaii or whatnot, I talk myself out of things because of the price. Like, on a normal trip, am I going to the theater every night after dinner? No!! It would cost a fortune! But on DCL I do because it's in the price already. And if we're tired and want to leave early or something I don't feel guilty because I didn't shell out money that night to pay for the tickets. I admit a lot of it is psychological. DCL does look expensive upfront but when you consider almost everything is included it's not hideous. All food, sodas, pools, Castaway Cay (which most hotels would charge a HEFTY resort fee for daily), shows, bars, parties, transportation, lodging, childcare, arts & crafts, character meet and greets, etc. No nickeling and diming every day. No surprises on the cost that you didn't anticipate. No saying "no" to your kid when they want a snack or a Mickey bar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter