How do you avoid stray points when renting?

FrancisK7

Veteran Lurking Mouseketeer
Hey guys, I'm a new owner or soon to be... currently have three contracts awaiting ROFR.

In my ROI calculations I accounted that I'd be renting points out at $18 minimum the years I do not go or use them, however since I've never sold on places like David's or other brokers, the process is not clear to me.

Assuming both ROFR pass I'll end up with 442 points at AKV. How do you not end up with with some small numbers of stray points when renting them out?

Trying to account for the approximate "loss of renting revenue" from stray points year to year. Not sure if I make any sense?

If the points you intend to rent will be current use year points*, you could also offer to transfer them before offering to rent them (by making reservations for others) You can make taking all of them a condition.

* In other words, you know you will not use them yourself and you do not bank them. Banked (and borrowed) points cannot be transferred to another member.

Banking limit is 3 months before expiry, is this still correct? So December UY contracts have until July 31st to be banked?

I also read you can only transfer or receive points once a year? Are there any limitations to what you can do with points you received from another member?

Thank you!

Banking limit is 3 months before expiry, is this still correct? So December UY contracts have until July 31st to be banked?

I also read you can only transfer or receive points once a year? Are there any limitations to what you can do with points you received from another member?

Thank you!

Correct on banking deadline. But, be aware that DVC can change those rules. They were not always as they are now.

One transfer in or out of your membership per UY. You can only transfer points that have not been banked or borrowed.

Points retain their own UY and resort even when transferred. Those that receive a transfer can use those points the same way any other owner of that home resort can use them.

Points transferred can also be banked by the person who gets them but that person can not borrow them when booking a trip.

Banking deadline is 4

Thank you!
banking deadline is 4 months prior. That is still July 31st for a December use year. To avoid holding you need to cancel over 30 days prior. This makes August travel dates still work as you would want to cancel at least 30 days prior so in July and could still bank. A last minute cancellation gives you the rest of Aug, Sept and Oct to book a reservation within 60 day period to use or rent.

You can bank or borrow, depending on what is needed. To avoid leftovers when close to the banking window and still have points I won’t use, I bank current UY and borrow to rent in current UY if I need to make a reservation.

I have rented out points previously that I wasn't going to be able to use and ended up borrowing a couple of points from the next use year to complete the reservation. So in addition to banking any unused points, if you want to get rid of current year points and are willing to use some of the next year's allocation, borrowing is also a possibility to make sure you are able to use all of the current year's points and don't end up with any going unused.

Assuming you have the same UT for all three of your contacts, you’d only get to transfer in or out once per UY. If you have multiple use years, you’d get 1 per UY. In addition to what everyone else said, I would recommend using a rental contract, with a comprehensive cancellation policy (there are several great DVC Rental Contact Templates out there).

Assuming you have the same UT for all three of your contacts, you’d only get to transfer in or out once per UY. If you have multiple use years, you’d get 1 per UY. In addition to what everyone else said, I would recommend using a rental contract, with a comprehensive cancellation policy (there are several great DVC Rental Contact Templates out there).
Currently, DVC is allowing owners who have multiple memberships to transfer as many times as they want between their own memberships.

They only hold you to the one in or out if you are transferring to a different owner. While they can always change it, it is something they have decided to do since basically, it is just the same owner shifting points around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter