How do you feel sitting next to a stranger on a ride?

I don’t care in the slightest...honestly do you think they want to sit next to you either? I never even considered this as an ordeal, luckily for me, I ended up always with lovely people who are happy.

I feel that someone would have to be a pretty insecure person if you get nervous or worried about sitting next to a stranger. I mean come on

I'll be honest, I am rather introverted so it's not my favorite and would prefer not to. Won't ruin my vacation and have had some ok experiences but I can understand people not wanting to

I don't really mind sitting with strangers most of the time. You can end up with great stories like the time on Everest when I thought the lady sitting with me was going to take my arm home with her.

So... this isn't exactly the same, but I feel the need to share this story. Not at Disney, but we were on on of those river raft rides at Six Flags. Thunder River, specifically. And with that, even if you aren't sitting right next to a stranger, there are nearly always strangers on your boat.

My grandmother, up until she was in her mid 80s, would always go to Six Flags once a year with us, her treat. She never really liked the rides, except for the calm ones, like the Colossus (Ferris Wheel), carousel, and log flume. But she LOVED Thunder River. My grandma also wore a wig. The entire ride, she would have her hand on her head, holding her wig on. Whenever we would hit a bump, change directions, go down a rapid, etc. she would let out a long drawn out, "Whooooooooops!" The first time, my family and I would be cracking up, but the others on our boat would be looking at us like we were crazy. But by the end of the ride, everyone.... family, friends, and strangers, would be cracking up when my grandma would yell out. Including my grandma! My mom would always have to help her out of the boat, mostly because they'd both be laughing so hard by the end. I'm sure the other passengers later recounted stories of the crazy lady who was holding on to her hair and shouting "Whooooops!" at random moments.

I usually tack a day or two extra on my vacation after the rest of my party leaves so I've sat next to a lot of strangers. I've never had any problem at all and don't mind it a bit. Once on Expedition Everest I sat next to a 70ish woman who asked if I'd ever ridden before. Her grandson and friend were in front of us and he had talked her into it without telling her much about it. She was a really good sport but looked a little green by the time we pulled back into the station.

Just don't get in the single rider line then! It's not mandatory to go in that line, just what's it's intended for - single riders to double up!!

No. It's a normal single rider line that pairs single riders up with the regular line to make groups of three for the chair lift.

I have traveled solo mostly for the past 8 years. The only ride I can think of where it bothers me to be seated with others is on to SDMT because it's so tight. I don't ride that every trip for that reason.

There's only a couple of other attractions where I've been seated with someone else and those would be EE, TSMM, Test Track plus Kilimanjaro Safari's that I can remember. Those don't bother me at all. Frozen and Pirates I've usually been given my own row. BTMRR I have always ridden solo.

I don't ride Soarin' or Barnstormer so those aren't issues for me.

Last edited:
Were a family of 4 when we go to Disney and this past trip we rode TT and they put 2 riders with us. We were 2 and 2 at first with the couple split one in front, one in the back. Before we got on we rearranged so it was me and my 2 little ones up front and my wife and the other couple in the back. I didn't understand why they split the couple up. It was my wife's idea and they thanked us.

One of the most fun experiences I have had was as a single rider on Men In Black at Universal (sorry...I know...not Disney!:duck:). My husband and I had ridden the ride SOOO many times that day and had a blast, but the wait times were creeping up so we started doing single rider. We happened to get the perfect set up on one round...each of us in a separate vehicle and competing against each other.

The vehicle I was in was a family of 5 and me the lone sixth. The older gentleman sitting next to me was joking about his aim and how he was going to show us all up. I laughed and said I sure hoped so because my husband was in the opposing vehicle and I really wanted to beat him. Well, I ended up smoking everyone in my ride vehicle and together we stomped my husband's team! There was a lot of cutting up during the ride and it was just all around a great time! So...my point is, people should loosen up! You might be missing out on a really great memory!

We love single rider lines! The most fun memories are from "racing" or competing against each other at Radiator Springs Racers and Toy Story Mania.

it can depend on the ride. I always feel a little bad when I ride TT single rider. It seems different when you are the third person. I have less problem with EE or RnRc because it is just the two of us loners. I am a little more talkative on EE or RnRc. When on TT I see no need to strike up a conversation.

Only time it has bothered me is on the chair lift at Blizzard Beach and when riding Mission Space.

I did a solo trip to Blizzard Beach early this year, and water parks can be a little awkward when by yourself, especially as a mid 30's male. I just feel like some people may think I am there for other reasons than to ride water slides and chill in the lazy river. It was nice with the chair lift having a single rider line, but the first time I went through I was seated with two young boys, probably 10-11 years old. They were chatty and didn't seem to mind that I was on there with them. I just try to avoid talking to young kids when I don't know their parents. The next trip was a man around my age and his young boy. The guy wouldn't even acknowledge I was there. Must have freaked him out by being there or something.

On Mission Space, I always end up riding with strangers, because my wife will not ride it. The entire time I am always thinking, "stranger next to me, please don't puke, please don't puke, please don't puke." Kind of pulls you out of the experience.

i think single rider lines should be for the truely single people out there. And they should ride with another single in hopes they find their soulmate - never to ride alone again. It could give a whole new meaning to an “attraction.”

It used to not bother me until the time I had to ride Test Track with two teenage boys who were strangers. The one sitting next to me held up his middle finger the entire time. Now I prefer NOT to ride with strangers.

It used to not bother me until the time I had to ride Test Track with two teenage boys who were strangers. The one sitting next to me held up his middle finger the entire time. Now I prefer NOT to ride with strangers.
You should have shown the ride photo to a CM. Disney policy says they would have ejected him from the park for doing that.

You should have shown the ride photo to a CM. Disney policy says they would have ejected him from the park for doing that.
Interesting. I figured there was a CM already monitoring the ride photos and they would be waiting for him when the ride was over. I don't see how they could have caught him if they had to wait for me to report it. He would have been long gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!