How do you organize your pictures from phone, computer etc

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
I need help!

I’m prob making this way harder than it needs to be.

When coming home from vacation or an event we have pictures on the camera and our phones. Any advice on organizing before scrapbooking?

I always download and then organize by location. Then I add tags by character/restaurant/ride or any other special event.

I have Windows 10

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thewindowsclub.com/tags-files-windows/amp
Wanna make some money on the side? LOL
upload_2018-8-20_9-48-47.png

OP, I don't go beyond date/event/trip, phone pictures are all auto backed up to both google photo's and my own NAS

I know I wont actually loose any pictures because I have a decent backup strategy but organization is a whole other problem. Be more like MSPeeler :-)

I usually make a folder on my hard drive for each trip. There I download by date all of my main camera photos (typically 95% of what I have to work with). I add a folder for any phone photos I might want to use. Another folder for my point and shoot waterproof camera. As I edit, I export photos from Lightroom all into a main folder of shots that are ready to use (Lightroom calls this file "Untitled Export by default). They stay in chronological order (mostly) because of the sequential numbers.

When I decide on a theme for a page, I move everything out of "Untitled Exports" into another file I label "holding file". From there, I sift through, choosing the ones I really want to use and have room for by moving rejected shots back where they came from (that "Untitled Export" file).

As other themes for pages start to emerge, I also make files for those to sort them for future use. I just did a book on our recent Sanibel trip and at one point had a generic "holding file", along with "general island shots", "pool shots", "beach shots", "Lighthouse shots" etc. As I do my pages and finish with those shots I move them back to that "Untitled Exports" file again. Now that I'm all done, I deleted the holding file and other miscellaneous files.

It's not really as complicated as it sounds!

I make a folder for the entire trip and then sort out the ones to print Once printed I "try " to put them back in order

I have a folder for the entire trip. Sometimes I will make sub-folders if it is a longer trip based on days or activities. After I print them I sort them in envelopes based on day or activity.

My camera has a function to take three or four rapid shots of the same image when I hold down the shutter button. Needless to say, I take thousands of photos with three or four of each image. I do this as I shake some and can usually get one or two decent shots from the multiple images. I download each chip (data from camera) into its own file and name it accordingly by trip and dates. I then review and eliminate the excess bad and extra photos. I have what I want to keep and print the photos I want from the pared-down photos. I also have multiple copies of the files - on my computer, my husband's computer, my office computer, CD's and flash drives - so I will have a hard time losing my photos!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter