How do you store dried flowers?

eeyore74

DIS Veteran
I dried some of the flowers from my bouquet but don't have anywhere to put them. How can I store them so they'll last? I had heard a glass container, but I tried that with some and they got all soggy and icky. (Maybe it was the container.)

Thank you!

I'm sorry I am unable to answer your question from experience but i did find this info on the internet.

For those of us who make dried flower craft creations, whether it is for fun or for profit, rest assured, you have multiple bundles of a variety of flowers. Not just one or two bundles but a bevy of bundles consisting of every type of flower creating a rainbow of colors. Besides the bundles, you probably have little stacks of remnants and pieces of flowers that are perfect and you certainly don't want to throw them away.
If you are fortunate enough to have a craft room where you can keep your supplies, the storage issue is a little easier to handle, but if you're just getting started or trying to build up your inventory and space is at a premium, you need to know some of the ways you can store your flowers without damaging the delicate buds or your pocketbook.

I am a great believer in recycling and one of the best items I've found that I use for my dried and pressed flowers are the plastic pie, cake and cookie containers from the grocery deli, especially the ones that "snap" shut. Not only are they durable, they shut tightly keeping out the air and they're clear so you can see, at a glance, what you have stored inside.

Not only can you use them for the bits and pieces left over from a creation, you can also store small or miniature wreaths inside the deep-dish pie style container. I use the plastic cookie container type for my dried rose buds and pressed flowers. If you dry your own flowers, you can fill the pie container with mixture, insert the flowers to dry, cover with mixture then snap it shut. I think I have about 50 of these in my craft room. I promise, I didn't eat all 50 pies by myself!!

Plastic sandwich bags, regular or zip lock, are also good storage devices. I use these for my miniature Christmas wreaths. Just slide the wreath inside the bag creating a plastic sleeve that will protect the delicate flower work and decorations. I can also add cinnamon potpourri or cedar stems to the bag to enhance the fragrance of the wreath.

For large bundles of flowers like wheat stalks, avena or bromus I cover the bunch of flower heads with a small plastic bag from the grocery and use a twist tie to secure the bag. I don't worry about covering the stalk/stem part. You can place multiple bundles of stalk type flowers lengthwise in a large box with a lid. Store in a cool, dry place when not using.

Place plumper bundles like statice and straw flowers in plastic bags and secure with a twist tie and place in a box with a lid. You can also store your silks the same way. If you have a spare closet or utility room, place flowers in plastic bags then secure several of the bundles from a clothes hanger in the closet. You can also put your individually wrapped flowers in a large garbage bag and then hang the garbage bag in the closet. It's amazing how many items you can actually get in a small closet. Use the same idea with wreaths. Put them inside a large bag, secure bag to a hanger and put in the closet.

Some flowers, especially the pod type flowers with delicate/brittle stems, require studier protection. I suggest storing these separately. Shoeboxes make excellent storehouses.

An important thing to remember when storing your flowers is that they need to be either wrapped in a plastic bag or tissue paper and kept in a cool, dry location. Never store your flowers in a sunny spot. This will only dry them out making them extremely brittle and cause the flowers to fade.

If you need to store a dried flower creation, follow the same instructions as for individual flowers. Securely cover the piece with a plastic bag and then store in a cool, dry place. Your dried flowers will keep for a long period of time as long as they aren't subjected to the elements.

Thank you for finding that info! I wasn't sure if plastic was ok and I've got tons of containers, so that will work fine.

:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter