How does DAS work with Maxpass?

GrrArrgh

Mouseketeer
I was planning on getting Maxpass for our family's upcoming trip. There's three of us: me, spouse, and our 5-year-old daughter. Haven't used maxpass before, but I get how it works. But since planning the trip, my husband has developed a chronic condition in one of his feet that can make walking and waiting in lines extremely painful. He thinks he is currently doing well enough to walk with only a cane, but waiting in lines will cause too much swelling and will probably cause his current flare-up to get worse. So, if we get a DAS pass from guest services to avoid the fastpass lines (which are sometimes quite long), do you select the fastpass you want on the disneyland app? Does it work with maxpass or is maxpass unnecessary? Thanks!

We find that for rides with FP/MP, MP often works better than DAS. I don't know what CMs will tell you about getting a DAS for your DH. CMs can be adamant about DAS not being for anything mobility related and they will repeatedly recommend that you get a wheelchair or ECV. Would either of those options help your DH? So far, we haven't experienced any MP return lines that have been long. Most waits have been just a few minutes, maybe 5-10 at the absolute most. Being able to schedule our FPs through the app and return them if we know we won't use them has been very helpful. Sometimes the DAS line waits have been longer than the MP line waits, e.g. Peter Pan. I would strongly recommend trying MP for at least one day to see how it works for your family. If it works well, go ahead and get it for each day of your trip. Whether or not your DH gets a DAS, at least you will have MP to work with. MP works so well for us that some days we work exclusively with MP and don't use the DAS at all.

Last edited:

I was planning on getting Maxpass for our family's upcoming trip. There's three of us: me, spouse, and our 5-year-old daughter. Haven't used maxpass before, but I get how it works. But since planning the trip, my husband has developed a chronic condition in one of his feet that can make walking and waiting in lines extremely painful. He thinks he is currently doing well enough to walk with only a cane, but waiting in lines will cause too much swelling and will probably cause his current flare-up to get worse. So, if we get a DAS pass from guest services to avoid the fastpass lines (which are sometimes quite long), do you select the fastpass you want on the disneyland app? Does it work with maxpass or is maxpass unnecessary? Thanks!

First off, please tell me that your user name is a nod to Mutant Energy Productions??? :worship:

Now, to your questions.

As a few people have posted, the DAS is not given out for issues that are mobility related that can be solved by using a mobility device so it seems as though your husband will not qualify for one. As well, I have bolded a part of your original post because I wanted to let you know that the DAS does not allow you to bypass the Fastpass line, in fact that is how you enter the line with a DAS return time, though the same line as fastpass users use. What it does allow you to do is wait outside the standard line and then when you have waited the required amount of time (Standby time minus 10 minutes), you enter the cue using the fastpass lane.

For anyone who does qualify for a DAS and who purchases Maxpass, the systems work very well together. You still have to get the DAS return time from the kiosks, they cannot be picked through the app and when you go to use a DAS return time, the DAS holder has to be scanned in first. This will turn the scanner blue and as soon as the CM knows that it is a DAS return time, the rest of the party can scan in.

Hope that helps someone!

Yes, I am a fan of all things Buffy and Angel, so you did indeed spot a Mutant Enemy reference!

And as an update, my husband watched one of the Disneyland vlogs with Pete and the guys and there was mention of 8 miles of walking, which was enough to scare him into requesting I make a scooter reservation. We were just there in May, so I don't know how he didn't remember all the walking from then, but nonetheless, Pete to the rescue. Hopefully it isn't too late to get something for Thursday and Friday. Thanks!

Yes, I am a fan of all things Buffy and Angel, so you did indeed spot a Mutant Enemy reference!

When I had to go through chemo a number of years ago, DH and I spent a lot of time watching tv. We watched all 7 seasons of Buffy, all 5 seasons of Angel and all 7 seasons of The West Wing. Once More, With Feeling is still one of my favourite playlists and I still cry when I watch The Body.

Our son was really little at the time and he would always ask to watch “Puppy”. Thankfully we were the only ones who knew that he was asking for Buffy!

Good luck with the trip, I think your husband has made the right call and I hope you find a place to rent from!

Deckert's had scooters available and will be there the night before we need it. Hooray!

When I had to go through chemo a number of years ago, DH and I spent a lot of time watching tv. We watched all 7 seasons of Buffy, all 5 seasons of Angel and all 7 seasons of The West Wing. Once More, With Feeling is still one of my favourite playlists and I still cry when I watch The Body.

I hear you, there is nothing better than some Whedonverse to take your mind off the awful. Have you watched Dollhouse? I usually include it as part of my Buffy rotation. And Alias.

Deckert's had scooters available and will be there the night before we need it. Hooray!

I hear you, there is nothing better than some Whedonverse to take your mind off the awful. Have you watched Dollhouse? I usually include it as part of my Buffy rotation. And Alias.

We've watched all of Dollhouse but I was disappointed with it. Because the series did not go for as long as they wanted, I felt as though the story was accelerated too much and felt very rushed.

I assume that Firefly is also in your rotation???

Yay that Deckert's was able to help you out!

Yes Firefly! Still hoping the Firefly/Serenity sequel happens. Yeah, I'm not as big a fan of the end of Dollhouse as I am the beginning (same with Alias), but I watch it anyway.

So, having never paid much attention to wheelchair access in the past, is it obvious when you enter the queue if scooters are allowed in line?

So, having never paid much attention to wheelchair access in the past, is it obvious when you enter the queue if scooters are allowed in line?
It's not always obvious, but the CM's can see that you're in a chair so they'll usually volunteer the information if you look uncertain. At DCA you can just enter the queues. At some point in the queue you might be diverted to an elevator or alternative loading area (Screamin, GRR, Silly Symphony Swings, and RSR come to mind), but they'll tell you what to do. In DL it's not as straight forward because most of the queues are not accessible. Many will have you wait by the exit (BTMRR, Space, Pirates), and some will have a designated line for you (Haunted Mansion), but overall just roll up to the CM at the entrance and they'll direct you. If the standby time is significant they might give you a return time similar to DAS so you won't have to sit by the exit the entire time.

Ok. I am trying to understand how to use MP with mobility access in DLR I can not do stairs and need a little extra time loadining into space mtn. Can I pick a FP on MP and then go into the mobility line (exit) or will MP not really work on those rides for me? If say I get a return time for space, how will that work for my next MP FP window?

Ok. I am trying to understand how to use MP with mobility access in DLR I can not do stairs and need a little extra time loadining into space mtn. Can I pick a FP on MP and then go into the mobility line (exit) or will MP not really work on those rides for me? If say I get a return time for space, how will that work for my next MP FP window?
Yes. Get a FP or MP, then proceed to the HA entrance. They will scan the FP, then put you in the queue.

This August will be our first trip getting maxpasses. My husband also uses a DAS pass.
I’m curious how these work in conjunction with one another.

Any tips will be appreciated. I have the app on my phone and he will be installing it on his.
Also, besides the two of us it’ll be our 7 year old daughter too.

We used the Maxpass in April and my son had a DAS. Would enter the park, and get a MP time, then go to a kiok and get a DAS return time.. sometimes they over lapped each other.. so we would use the MP first as that has a time window.. the DAS, you can use anytime after your window. As soon as you have redeemed your MP , you can get another one. We would be in line and check to see the times and what ride we wanted to do next, and before even getting on the ride for which we just redeemed we had a new MP. The DAS really comes into play, later in the day when all the MX are gone. So just like the physical paper FP they "sell out" . Also make sure you have your paper card with you.. their scanners sometimes screw up and you need your paper card so the Cast member can sort the issue out .. once we went from Cal Ad , to Disneyland, got through the gate. redeemed our DAS at Pirates and then went over to Space mountain to get a return time and the scanner said my son was the only one in the park..it refused to read mine and my husbands cards. we had to have them rescanned at the front gate..we loved the MP.. its so easy to use and saves a ton of time.. but I think though as it becomes more popular it will run into the same issues as the paper cards. meaning the FP's will still be hard to get .

We used the Maxpass in April and my son had a DAS. Would enter the park, and get a MP time, then go to a kiok and get a DAS return time.. sometimes they over lapped each other.. so we would use the MP first as that has a time window.. the DAS, you can use anytime after your window. As soon as you have redeemed your MP , you can get another one. We would be in line and check to see the times and what ride we wanted to do next, and before even getting on the ride for which we just redeemed we had a new MP. The DAS really comes into play, later in the day when all the MX are gone. So just like the physical paper FP they "sell out" . Also make sure you have your paper card with you.. their scanners sometimes screw up and you need your paper card so the Cast member can sort the issue out .. once we went from Cal Ad , to Disneyland, got through the gate. redeemed our DAS at Pirates and then went over to Space mountain to get a return time and the scanner said my son was the only one in the park..it refused to read mine and my husbands cards. we had to have them rescanned at the front gate..we loved the MP.. its so easy to use and saves a ton of time.. but I think though as it becomes more popular it will run into the same issues as the paper cards. meaning the FP's will still be hard to get .

Ok thank you! It’s great to know we will be able to use both. I think it’s really important to have both because there are still many rides that mp isn’t available for but we can use DAS for (All of Fantasyland and others...)

I just wasn’t sure how it would all work with the app.

Does this have to be done at the ticket booths? Can it be done at one of the Disney hotels? I’ve heard there is some kind of AP guest services inside the park. Can you add MP there? If so, where is this mystery AP help desk?
Just trying to avoid the ticket booths if possible. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter