How Does Getting Your Luggage Moved Between Resorts Work For A Split Stay

BWV Dreamin

DIS Veteran
Our next visit to WDW will include a split stay between 2 DVC resorts. On checkout day from resort # 1 how do I go about getting the luggage moved to resort # 2? We will not have a car. Who do we tip?

Call Bell Services and have them do a transfer, you need to get a receipt from them, and tipping is usually done at the receiving end.

Luggage will be at the new resort between 3 & 4. You can pick it up at Bell Services or have it delivered to the room.

:earsboy: Bill

For tipping, I usually tip the person who takes our luggages and the one who bring them back at the new hotel.

There are different people, they both work and both deserve a tip.
I think it is better to split in two the amount of tip that you planned to give than giving the whole amount to only one person.

Do you have to wait for bell services to come to your room or can you bring the luggage down yourself? We travel very very light and it would be much easier for us to bring the luggage down ourselves.

I don't know the answer to that, but I would like to as well. As we are leaving very soon for a split stay ourselves.

Do you have to wait for bell services to come to your room or can you bring the luggage down yourself? We travel very very light and it would be much easier for us to bring the luggage down ourselves.

Yes, you can take your luggage to the Bell Services desk. A CM will take the luggage and give you a receipt.

As disneynutz posted, you need to plan that your luggage won't be available at your new resort until 3:00 or 4:00 PM. If you think you might need anything from your luggage during the day, then carry it with you during the day.

And you have to be in your room to recieve luggage at the second resort. If you decide to have them come pick it up, just call bell services that morning and they will take it for you.

Instead of transferring luggage on our split stay (ASM and AKV) can I just take it to AKV and leave it with the desk at check in? We have to pick up our tickets and DDP there that morning anyway. (Only one night at ASM) I have never done this before. We have always left our luggage in the car until we got our room, but this year, we are going to a park right away and won't get back until late that night.
And if I can leave it, do I have to call to have them to deliver it to our room or is it done automatically. I would assume that you have to call but just checking.

Instead of transferring luggage on our split stay (ASM and AKV) can I just take it to AKV and leave it with the desk at check in? We have to pick up our tickets and DDP there that morning anyway. (Only one night at ASM) I have never done this before. We have always left our luggage in the car until we got our room, but this year, we are going to a park right away and won't get back until late that night.
And if I can leave it, do I have to call to have them to deliver it to our room or is it done automatically. I would assume that you have to call but just checking.

You can transfer the luggage yourself and leave it with Bell Services. You will have to pick it up from Bell Services when you return or have it delivered to your room but you will have to be there because they expect a tip.

You can transfer the luggage yourself and leave it with Bell Services. You will have to pick it up from Bell Services when you return or have it delivered to your room but you will have to be there because they expect a tip.

So true. We moved our luggage ourselves. Bell Services scooped it up so fast that we didn't have a chance to respond - we literally turned around to a CM who let us know our room was ready - turned back around and the guy disappeared - had to be magic because no one can move that quick. We could have just walked up with our luggage but instead we had to go to our room, call Bell services and wait for them to deliver. (They did deliver within minutes but it seemed ridiculous to hand 2 bags over - go through this process just because they wanted a tip) My tip: If you travel light and move your own bags, HOLD THEM TIGHT until you find out whether or not your room is ready.

Very interesting replys. We won't have a car so that will hamper moving them ourselves. We travel with good size carry ons so not a lot of luggage. It will be nice to just forget about them for the day and let bell services transport them over to resort #2.

So true. We moved our luggage ourselves. Bell Services scooped it up so fast that we didn't have a chance to respond - we literally turned around to a CM who let us know our room was ready - turned back around and the guy disappeared - had to be magic because no one can move that quick. We could have just walked up with our luggage but instead we had to go to our room, call Bell services and wait for them to deliver. (They did deliver within minutes but it seemed ridiculous to hand 2 bags over - go through this process just because they wanted a tip) My tip: If you travel light and move your own bags, HOLD THEM TIGHT until you find out whether or not your room is ready.

Wow! If that had happened with me I would have followed that luggage and gotten it right back. Seriously not cool of them. And they certainly wouldn't have gotten a tip from me. (while I am philosophically annoyed with tipping, I DO it, even have my ones and fives all portioned out, etc etc...so I'm not replying that way because I'm cheap, but because if I ASK them to do a service, then I'm happy to tip, but if they just do it against my will, that's not a *service*) They would also have gotten a complaint from me.

Instead of transferring luggage on our split stay (ASM and AKV) can I just take it to AKV and leave it with the desk at check in?

Yes. We always have a car, so we have yet to send it along with Bell Services. We either leave it with the initial resort's BS desk, go about our day, then go back to retrieve it and move to the second resort...or we go early to the second resort, do the checkin process, and if a room is miraculously ready we just take it to the room, or if it's not, we leave it with BS.

We have, thankfully, never had an issue like was described, with the Bell people just grabbing bags away. I cannot imagine!

Great answers! :thumbsup2We are doing our FIRST split stay this spring and this was a huge concern.

wdrl said:
Yes, you can take your luggage to the Bell Services desk. A CM will take the luggage and give you a receipt.

As disneynutz posted, you need to plan that your luggage won't be available at your new resort until 3:00 or 4:00 PM. If you think you might need anything from your luggage during the day, then carry it with you during the day.

Do you still tip CM if I bring the suitcases to the Bell Services desk myself? If so, how much is appropriate. I never know how much to tip. Our can ride to the airport is usually $40-45, ill give $50.

Do you still tip CM if I bring the suitcases to the Bell Services desk myself? If so, how much is appropriate. I never know how much to tip. Our can ride to the airport is usually $40-45, ill give $50.
In this case, I would say, no. I would think you would tip the person you pick the bags up from, if they are not picking the bags up from the room.

That being said, When we did a split stay, we had our bags picked up and tipped about $2 a bag at AKL (we didn't want to carry our luggage all the way through the hotel again). Our bags were already waiting for us at 1:00 when we got to SSR (and our room was already ready, which was nice, as we were exhausted from a late night/early morning combo). They drove us and our luggage to our room and when I tried to give a tip, it was refused and he left our room. :confused3 I still have no idea what that was about. Granted, we didn't have many bags to begin with, but they were extremely heavy (btw, space saver bags really do work well) and we were perfectly willing to tip.

It only took them about 5 minutes from the time we called for them to get to our room to pick up our bags by the way.

Call Bell Services and have them do a transfer, you need to get a receipt from them, and tipping is usually done at the receiving end.

If someone provides service for me I will tip when they pick up and drop off luggage

Wow! If that had happened with me I would have followed that luggage and gotten it right back. Seriously not cool of them. And they certainly wouldn't have gotten a tip from me. (while I am philosophically annoyed with tipping, I DO it, even have my ones and fives all portioned out, etc etc...so I'm not replying that way because I'm cheap, but because if I ASK them to do a service, then I'm happy to tip, but if they just do it against my will, that's not a *service*) They would also have gotten a complaint from me.

I'm going say that instead of the bellman trying to grab a tip from me, he was trying to give good quick service. If you have ever seen these guys in the morning during checkout or during busy check-in time "they are hustling and working hard"

In this case, I would say, no. I would think you would tip the person you pick the bags up from, if they are not picking the bags up from the room.
That being said, When we did a split stay, we had our bags picked up and tipped about $2 a bag at AKL QUOTE]

If I deliver my bags to bellman for them to store while I am waiting for room to be ready or to transfer I still give a tip for their assistance. I've had bags held and had to get a bathing suit out an hour later and tipped again a couple bucks to let me back to my luggage. In the big picture of a vacation its a few bucks for a hardworking staff.

Just want to make it clear I am not judging how you tip or don't tip just sharing what I do.

We always bring the luggage to bell services ourselves leaving a resort ((but we have them delivered when we arrive at a resort)) as we are heading in that direction anyways to head to either the lobby or buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter